Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 5800 and Wifi Problem

Nokia 5800 and Wifi Problem

Hey guys,

I am trying to connect to my wifi by entering the WEP key but the problem is that when i try to enter my WEP key for the WLAN there is no option of inputting numbers, i hit the abc button on top and it turns off the letters and goes to Abc in the right corner and then still only gives me letters (it also turns off the letters on the phone pad).

Is anybody experiencing the same problems or am i just an idiot who doesn't know how to work the phone yet lol.

HELP!!!

Jon
Please use plain text.

Re: Nokia 5800 and Wifi Problem

i m having the same problem. i need help too
Please use plain text.

Hi
in my phone the alphanumeric keypad comes when the phone asks for the WEP key.You can try long press # key then the numerical keypad comes...
Best of luck..
Dilip
Please use plain text.

It worked!!! Thanks so much!

Question about wifi though, when you are connected to wifi when you go to internet does your browser automatically use the wifi connection?

Thanks!

Jon
Please use plain text.

yes...5800 connects with wi-fi which will be given preference...
dilip
Please use plain text.

You can also bring up the full screen keyboard or the mini qwerty keyboard and hit the 1* button to enter numbers.
Please use plain text.

Hi, does anyone know how to read MAC and IP address of the WLAN for 5800?

Some AP has the MAC filtering function and need to know MAC address

Thanks
SB
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a Nokia 5800 express music. I'm trying to connect the device to WLAN network at my office. when I search the WLAN network, it shows two networks. 1) IME -Global_WLAN and 2) ITH-NET. Both the network looks to be protected Wi-Fi Networks. If I select the first network, it asks for a WEP key for WLAN. If the second networks is being selected, it displays WLAN: Unable to connect. WPA authentication failed.

My Question is where do I get this WEP key? Should I contact the service provider ( I use Airtel. I'm from India)?

Do let me know?

Thanks in advance,
Vinu
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
alexlimco

18-Jan-2009 08:32 PM
sbngoo wrote:
Hi, does anyone know how to read MAC and IP address of the WLAN for 5800?

Some AP has the MAC filtering function and need to know MAC address

Thanks
SB

First find a router that you have control over like a DLINK or something like that. Next configure your 5800 to connect to the router and check it's assigned IP address from the router. Leave it connected (do not close the browser yet)

Now, open a command window on your Windows PC and ping the IP address. After that 'arp -a' will show you the MAC address.
Current Phone: NOKIA N8 (Best phone ever)
Please use plain text.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I found an easier way, just type
*#62209526#
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
alexlimco

19-Jan-2009 11:17 PM
sbngoo wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion.

I found an easier way, just type
*#62209526#

Woweee... now I really believe we learn something new everyday. As said I wish Nokia can provide some quality documents at some time in the future... in the meanwhile we will learn from the forums :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hi guys...i'm also having problem in connection my 5800 WLAN on a router...

I'm connecting my 5800 in our office but the connection has a proxy server and I can't find the option were I can configure the proxy server of my phone..

can anyone help me???

I really need your help..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
alexlimco

Hi,

Try Menu Key -> Settings -> Destinations -> Internet -> (Tap Access Point Name) -> Options -> Edit -> Options -> Advanced Settings.

You should see two boxes for Proxy Server address and Port.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

How to use VOIP in 5800 ? Is there any software ?
Please use plain text.

Hi

I as well go my new 5800 a few days ago.

No problem connecting to the internet at home but at work I get connection to the network but when trying to open a internet page I'm getting the following message: "No gateway reply".

Any idea what do I have to do??

Thanks

Please use plain text.

Hi all

I  also have a 5800 and it worked fine in the first days with th WLAN at home. After a few days it can not find any WLAN anywere. Starts looking at it never ends. Even if we try to connect by an Acess pont already registered. Any hint ? Thanks LC

Please use plain text.

My Nokia 5800 doesn't find wireless networks. It starts searching for network but nothing happens and it continues searching without any message.
Please use plain text.

I've also had problems with "No Gateway Reply".  It is an issue that Nokia are aware of. I spoke to Nokia Support recently, because I could connect to a WLAN at work, but not at home - both have WPA/PSK encryption.

See my post about the problem in this thread.

Now let's all urge Nokia to fix these issues with connecting to some routers.  They sold us a phone which advertised WLAN, but it doesn't work with all makes of router...

Not very happy at the moment.  Get your act together Nokia!

Please use plain text.

Hi,

As u told i hav entered the proxy address,but usually in my university we require username and password for login wen i connect wifi through my laptop...in this case wat shud i do in my mobile 5800? pls suggest me how to get connected..

thanks

keerthi 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

No Gateway Reply for the 5800.FIX

After spending days trying to sort this problem i think I have cracked it. 1. follow the instructions someone posted to enter the phone ip address, should be different to computers ip. then enter subnet same as pc then the gateway ip same as pc. the only real difference with my solution is that you have to enter the dns addresses as well, same as pc . 

I am using XP open network connection, select the wireless network, on the left select view statusof this connection, tab will open, select support , then click details and youdns server numbers are displayed.  Enter these in phone setting in.

I am using linksys WRT54GS, I dont have this problem with a netgear router at my friends, that connects streight away, without internal config of phone.

was on phone to nokia for 2 hours being passed from one depart. to another. didnt get anywhere.

Moderator's note: This post has been edited. Please do not attempt to circumvent the language filter.

Message Edited by concordia on 21-Feb-2009 06:14 AM
Please use plain text.