Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800

Nokia 5800

[ Edited ]

You call this a music phone, well have you tried listening to it?

The sound is extremely disoriented, high and low tones turn into noise rather than music,- same goes for N85 and N79. The sound quality is terrible, both when using A2DP and high end stereo headphones. The disappointment of this alone made me go back to my SE W890. Further the Music player always crashes after only one or two songs, and you to restart the phone.

The w-lan works, but for some AP's, every time it has connected and disconnected the AP must be reset for it to connect again, this on the other hand worked fine on N85 and N79.

As the phone certainly doesn't replace any music player you might also want to bring some attention to its usability as a phone. For the time it takes to dial a contact or for the key pad to pub up when wishing to write a message, I could already have completed a short call or message with my old SE! This is simply not good enough!

Still by far the biggest disappointment is the sound quality in the music player, calling the 5800 a music player is simply false marketing I was so disappointed! And before you start telling me that others find the sound quality to be very good (I have read the reviews), please try to compare with a decent CD player, or better yet one of the latest SE Walkman phones; afterwards the noise of the 5800 is likely to give you a headache, I've heard €5 mp3 players sounding better!

Note SE's A2DP also delivers perfect sound quality whereas Nokia's is rather noisy. Especially if you use the Equalizer the sound quality of your A2DP is hopeless. Also you might want to give the crashing music player some urgent attention.

Moderator note: offensive language removed.

Message Edited by michaels on 30-Apr-2009 12:21 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

If all you want to to is complain, then you should do it direct to Nokia staff via the "Contact us" link.

If you had come here before selling your 5800, you would have found a wealth of advice from happy 5800 users. However, enjoy your SE and goodbye...

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

I haven't sold it, - just threw it in a drawer.

If there is information on these pages, that will make this thing into a MUSICPLAYER/PHONE (either would be a huge improvement), then why isn't it implemented? Nokia is running many commercials, featuring a functional music phone. If I had known that this is a beta product which takes ages to get in touch with people and has a terrible sound quality then I would never have bought it. Now I will never buy a Nokia again, as their products clearly doesnt live up to their promises.

Yes it was cheap, but that doesn't help me, when it doesn't do what I need and what Nokia promises. This only makes me and all the other customers that have spend money and time on this ridicules product disappointed and annoyed.

Message Edited by getupa on 30-Apr-2009 01:03 PM
Message Edited by getupa on 30-Apr-2009 01:03 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

What is the software version of the phone? Thre have been updates since launch.

There was also a genuine problem with the speaker on some 5800 models which is repairable under warranty.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Troll? or perhaps a sucker that bought a Chinese clone on the cheap?

IMHO the 5800 is pretty adequate, as both a phone and a music player, certainly no discernible  difference  between the 5800 and the iPhone I briefly owned, apart form the much slicker UI of the iPhone (returned as the O2 coverage is truly atrocious here in deepest Wiltshire).

I have none of the issues you claim to have: My 5800 has NEVER crashed (neither phone or music player), the response is instant to dial or write a SMS and the sound quality is equal to anything of comparable price (well at leat with my Etymotic ER4 headphones).NO portable device offers anything near HI-FI quality, especially a multi-functional device. And before you try to shoot me down, I am well qualified to judge sound quality, being a musician, a recording engineer for EMI classics  and a graduate with a combined honors in Physics with Music with a further MSc in Audio Electronics; whist your credentials are shot to pieces with the mere mention of A2DP!

If you are as astute as you suggest, you would clearly have instantly noticed the  inadequacies  of the sound reproduction and returned the offending player within your cooling off period. Alternatively - you are just a sad troll, in search of a life (which you are unlikely to find!).

So just GO AWAY. 

Please use plain text.

Rather than you shooting it down, maybe Nokia would benefit from listening and doing something about it.Whereas you are an expert in sound, I am an expert in business strategy and Innovation and this should be in Nokia's interest.

I am pointing out where the product seriously lacks behind, whether Nokia wants do something about or just believe that I am an idiot like you, well that is fully up them. I believe that I am doing Nokia a favor.

Try to listen via A2DP from an SE Walkman phone with a good Sony A2DP headset. My friend who is also a musician acknowledged that this was without a doubt better sound quality than through his own cabled IPOD or either of our two Nokias' cabled with a HI-end set of earphones. Nokia has much to learn and improve when it comes to sound quality.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I don't believe that you are an idiot, I don't know you, but your initial entry was not written in a way that suggest that you wish to benefit nokia or its products (even if this was the forum to do so), rather it was an arrogant tirade in which you attempted to foist your personal opinion as facts (I also notice that the moderator had to edit for inappropriate language - nice!). In fact I would have ignored your entry completely if you had started with a polite "in my opinion..." or something similar.

Quite frankly, I am at a lost to understand your initial motivation in starting this thread other than attempting to massage your ego. You asked no questions of the kind people on this forum or offered no answers.

In my qualified opinion and experience your claims are factually incorrect; the nokia products are not "seriously behind" comparable products. You may have found, perhaps, a suite of technical solutions that, to your ear, better match a particular genre of music but that is very different to an audio solution that represents rather than interprets the sound signal. Only this morning I was listening to Mahler's 5th on the tube and though what an acceptable reproduction it is. 

If you don't like the 5800, fine, just send it back and look elsewhere; but don't try to foist your views on the rest of the world.

And as for facts: It is physically impossible for a A2DP connection to get anywhere near, let alone rival a QUALITY wired solution.

BTW: Only a fool calls himself an "expert" - its a badge bestowed on one by others!

Please use plain text.
Sage
carloseap

If the 5800 has the same sound as the N85, I completely agree with you. The N85's got a real high level of distortion and very low volume output. I connect mine to my car and it's a nightmare, Before I used to have the N81 8GB. Now that's a real music phone! Superb sound quality!  Don't see anything wrong with your post (other than the "offensive language" you may have written). We all know this forum is about problems and help, but rants like these can help someone who would possibly think of buying the 5800 for the music quality as the main feature. 

No need to call others "a lifeless troll", like the EMI sound engineer did.  I am glad that you think that Nokia is a great company that builds quality phones. Others may not share that view and have the right to express their opinion.

As for "chinese phones", if he really bought a chinese NOKIA phone, then it's Nokia's fault, their phones should have the same quality and consistency in all regions, not just in Europe.

Peace  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.

Thnx,

Still there is the problem of the player, crashing after three songs. You
might be right, that I can find solutions on these pages, however most
customers would expect the product to work out of the box.

It would also improve the user experience, if the one or two seconds it
takes for the keypad to come out each time, could be reduced.

A most brilliant feature in the Nokia is the voice commands, which work
without recording everything first, however if the phone would just call the
number already, instead of telling first which contact it has found and then
that it is now dialing that contact, taking quite some patience and time, this
would be a great improvement to a great feature.

As to A2DP it has a bandwidth of 721 kbps of coded information, also mp3, I
think we can agree that this bitrate produces a pretty decent sound quality and
is well above, what most people use for encoding their cd's.

For a development discussion, it sounds like the SE sends the original sound
packages and lets the receiver decode it (yes the A2DP profile does support
this), whereas the Nokia's recodes the packages before sending. This would also
explain why you can adjust the sound level of the output on all other devices I've
come across but not on the SE, where you must adjust sound level on the
Receiver/decoder.

Whereas the tone in my post may be harsh. It is entirely
unacceptable of Nokia to launch a product of beta functionality to unknowing
customers!
Please use plain text.
Sage
aronpresley

If you are having problems then I guess you are getting a serious run of bad Luck when it's Nokia. I agree there might have been some problems, but you definately should have tried, You should have gone to Care, they would have swapped it or repaired it. Instead of Crying here about how bad your Nokia is. Take your time to have look at the product if continous breakdown of your Phone occours then take it to the NOKIA CARE. thats what they are here for to try and solve your problems. I had a prob when I got my 5800 for the first time, the sensors were not working and the media bar was't working, I took it to the care and they changed the set. Now it's flawless.

Take a look from Nokia's side too, Immence pressure of getting the phone ready on the due date, one more extra day and the budget increases in millions, Trying to make a perfect UI, Trying to make Millions of their users happy, Competitions in the market, living up to the expectations..it's not an easy job, thats why they are continously releasing Firmware to get rid of the bugs, it a symbian Phone, Having bugs is inebitable and is very compicated too, one's gone other comes up and it's not same in each phone too. See the complaints list and you'll know you're not the only one and also see it get solved either by a simple suggestion or via the updated firmware. you want a phone with no bugs go to IPhone just sacrifice the features and your money that Nokia gave to you... 

Nokia 3230, Nokia 6255i, Nokia 6500s, Nokia N72, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia 5800 XM, Apple Iphone 3G
Please use plain text.
Sage

I have found the sound to be terrific through headphones. The 10 band equalizer is very good. I have two issues with the music player that I posted in the Music section. They are:

1. m4a files have a false start which causes a `brrrrrp' sound to play for a second prior to the beginning of the tune. These m4a files have been converted from mp3 with PC Suite.
  2. The music library refresh finds ALL music files anywhere on the phone in the user areas (not the private phone area). This includes user-provided ring tones, alert tones, any file with any music extensions. What this means is that if I play music randomly, I could have a ring tone play in my selection! I wrote support and whole player scanning for library refresh is by design. I believe that is a deficiency. It should either be useer selectable (like PC Suite can be made to have a custom music tree) or trained to ignore certain folders that are defined for ring/alert tones. Currently, any filetype can be freely stored anywhere.
    The workaround is to rename or remove all tones and then refresh the music library and then put the tones  back. Hackish, but it works.

On the matter of ring/alert tones, when modifying a profile to select a different tone, the entire 5800 is scanned and all files, music and otherwise, are listed together. This makes it difficult to find a tone unless you adopt a naming convention which would lump then together. Something like:

• r_ringtone1.mp3
  • r_ringtone2.mp3
  • a_alerttone1aac
  • a_alerttne2.m4a

HTH
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

"Others may not share that view and have the right to express their opinion." : Totally agree, but opinions should be acknowledged as such as not thrust forward as facts. Contrast and compare the entry to that by musicivr: His views are clearly promoted as his opinion - " I have found...". I don't wholly agree with these views, my statement was that the 5800 was adequate and comparable to other similar devices rather than "terrific", but I very happy for him to promote his views. His entry was not provocative in any way, unlike the entry that started this tread.

The troll statement arose from the arrogant, unsubstantiated and provocative nature of the entry, it was in no way constructive as was latter claimed. The entry even had the audacity to suggest that "if you disagree with me you are wrong", with its "before you start telling me...." statement. Quite frankly it just sounded like a SE fanboy taking a pop.

Incidentally it was "Chinese clones" not "Chinese phones" - there are a lot of them around. I was offered one in LA in December months before the real deal hit the states. 

Edited to remove erroneous emoticons.

Message Edited by sebdee on 01-May-2009 05:26 PM
Message Edited by sebdee on 01-May-2009 05:26 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
carloseap

You are right about the chinese CLONES. Sorry, I did not read that part.

Guess it's a matter of perception. I did not perceive his post as arrogant. Just a disappointed user trying to vent out his frustration. I've been there..  :smileysad:  

As for taking the phone to Nokia Care as some other poster suggested..  As long as it works, there is no problem to solve. If he's not satisfied with the quality of the phone he can learn to live with it or sell it on fleabay at a loss. The only thing he would accomplish by taking his phone to Nokia Care would be having to wait 2 weeks without a phone and get his phone back with a note that says "PHONE OK"  I have tried that already.

Sadly, I have found a 3rd party music player from some russian developers (MobiFactor -PowerMp3) to reproduce songs with much higher quality than the standard music player. The program is still a beta, with some bugs, but looks very promising. Will deffinitely buy it. I think the standard music player should have the best quality since it was supposedly developed by Nokia engineers, right?

Just my humble opinion.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

One good news that I have is that after FW 21 update the phone hasnt frozen yet, already 2 weeks of usage.

It used to freeze a lot and i had to everytime take battery out and reboot. In fact the back cover also has got loose due to myself taking battery out after removing it too often.

jitender

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I am glad for you jitender :smileywink:
Please use plain text.