Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 6110 Navigator - Lack of overall volume ...

Advisor

Nokia 6110 Navigator - Lack of overall volume control?

I just got this phone 3 days ago and it's great. I have one major annoyance though that I can't seem to locate.

The phone seems to lack independant volume control. I can easily change volume when receiving/making a call, or change my ringtone volume, or changing the volume with using one of the included media devices like Real Player or the Radio. However when playing games or using 3rd party applications and players they blast at me with full volume. With my old 6020 pressing the +/- button would lower or raise the overall volume of the phone, however nothing happens with this one and with this phone's impressive sound that's incredibly loud. So loud in fact that if I take the bundled headset (Nokia HS-42) and let the earpieces hang halfway down my stomach I can still hear everything perfectly.

The manual makes no mention of any setting, and I have turned every volume setting I could find all the way down to see if that would help, but I have found nothing, pressed every button on the headset, but still nothing (I tried without the headset aswell).

So basically if the application or game does not have it's own sound, then I can either have it playing at Max Volume or none at all (most only include sound on yes or no).

Have I overlooked something? Is the headset or the button on my phone faulty?
If there is no control like this could Nokia add it via use of the camera +\- button in a firmware update (although I would settle for just a firmware setting)?

My Device Software is V3.58 incase they already fixed this in a newer version (although I have the newest as far as I can tell).
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

Re: Nokia 6110 Navigator - Lack of overall volume control?

Could you tell us a bit more?
I mean you are saying that you cannot control the volume during gameplay???
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Unless it's something already installed on the phone (MP3 player, real player, Radio) or I am in a call I can't adjust the volume at all.

Occasionaly a game has a built in setting to lower or raise the volume, but if it does not have that (only an option to say yes or no to sound) then it blasts at me with max volume of the speakers and touching the +\- button (for camera zoom and lowering volume in nokia applications or calls, but traditionally also to lower overall volume of the phone). Or of course I can turn sound off and play with no sounds whatsoever.

So basically if a game/3rd party application does not have it's own sound setting, then if sound is enabled it plays at max output of the phone (which is really loud) and I have no way of adjusting the volume.

On my old 6020 the +/- button controlled overall volume of the phone and I could press it at any time to raise or lower the volume of anything I wanted.

I really am beginning to think this was just left out by Nokia, is there anywhere besides here I should apply to, to query that or request it to be added in the next firmware version (if it's possible)?

I can't really make it any more clear than this....you know usually pressing the +/- button brought up a graphic with a bunch of bars to change overall volume of the phone (same as it looks when selecting ringtone volume)? Nothing like that on the Nokia 6110 Navigator as far as I can tell.
With this phone it's either Full volume...or I can disable sound and have no volume at all with 3rd part applications or games.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Come on somebody must be able to say something.

With the way this phone is flying of the shelves there must be more people to help me with this.
Please use plain text.
Sage

here’s my view… I guess, there are games (e.g. mostly java games) that has build-in sound which is not adjustable using “+/-“ buttons of your mobile… ‘dunno why, but I have these type of games… anyway, these games usually used the “other tones” application of your mobile… if you go to “menu” > “settings” > “tones” > “other tones”... and you can turn them off by just selecting the “off” option…

…here’s the predicament, since these games are usually created by a third parties, they sounds are usually not associated with your mobile os… simply for these games to be independent (and not paying for any royalty fee) and also to be more applicable not only to Nokia handsets but to other brands of mobile too… again, some of them maybe control using your mobile “+/-“ key and some of them cannot…

…the only solution is for those that cannot control by “+/-“ key is to make the sound off, or use a headset that has an analog volume control…
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
But what about something like DivX player or CoreCodec Player or one of the other players? surely those should work with with the +/- button...a player without adjustable volume is just daft (and they have no built in volume).

I can't even toggle the volume of the two nokia games on the phone already, although they play at a moderately lower volume, but still fairly high. I thought you said it's only for third party stuff?

Also usually when pressing the +/- button it toggled the overall volume of the phone I mean when just looking at the standard screen, not in menu or runinng anything. That also does not happen on this phone. So you say that's normal?

Any recommendations for a preferably cheap headset with analog sound then?
Also any FAQ for what buttons of the HS-42 actually do?...as they seem useless at the moment aside from the big one.

Edit: I have checked again and I have no setting like that. Just keypad, ringing and warning tones (on or off) and then if I go into the Navigator I can control that volume aswell. Otherwise everything aside from RealPlayer, the built in Radio and calls can't be adjusted in any way if they don't have built in volume control.

Message Edited by schumi4eva on 20-Sep-200710:26 AM

Please use plain text.
Sage

k… if you cannot control those volumes (whether they are from 3rd party developers or not) that other mobile can (specifically the same model like yours), chances are, your mobile “+/-“ key is defective…

…repair or replacement is the only solution for that…

...about the settings... we may have different menu anyway since I can access that...
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
What are the chances of a button being defective out of the box brand new and less than a week old?

So it can be defective eventhough it works for Calls and Realplayer and the radio? (but basically nothing else)

So the phone is supposed to have overall volume control?

Message Edited by schumi4eva on 20-Sep-200710:47 AM

Please use plain text.
Sage

…well, here is the logic why we can conclude that your mobile “+/-“ key is defective… some applications or games volume can be controlled with other mobile using the same key pad while yours cannot…

(…unless otherwise, your mobile is specifically redesigned for that malfunction…)

…anyway, there maybe 2 possibilities for having defective key pad… first, since it is new, it maybe the firmware that has been installed during the production, somehow has a defect that disabled your mobile “+/-“ key for a certain application / game… (btw we can drop the possibility of hardware related problem since it is working with basic applications & programs, right?)… so, the second possibility is, the program or games you installed are not totally compatible (which means, it’ll work but not fully functional) or corrupted… to eliminate this possibility is to try to install this program /game to another mobile and if it run normally, then we have one possibility left – and that your mobile firmware has a problem…
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Seeing as you mention incompatible games/application, I don't suppose it could be caused by a really old 32K sim card? like 12 years old or so from back when the Nokia 5110 was a new and current phone...maybe even from a little before that when we had a siemens brick (well it's almost heavier than a brick thanks to the battery) although that might have a had a full credit card sizes simcard (which this one may have just been broken out of though).

Should I get a new sim card? what size? also any tips on an analog volume headset incase it just is like that:confused:I will check with a friend to see if his phone has more volume control than mine)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
catalinux

Your volume +/- key is not defective. If it does the job in other instances (radio, media players) then it obviously works. I am sure it's not even a problem, it's intentional.
My 6233 behaves just the same when I am in process of selecting a ringtone using the Settings - Sounds menu. When I am pre-listening to the ringtone, it's being played at the maximum, because that's how the phone is set to ring. Reducing the overall ringtone volume also decreases the volume at which the ringtones are played when I am browsing trough my audio files.
I know there is no link between the ringtones and the java games, but you might try this: make your phone ring at a lower volume, then try to play something and see if the volume of the game is lower too. Other than that, your volume key won't work in java apps to control the volume; that's the way Nokia made the phone. So it's not a bug, it's a feature :smileyhappy:.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Well I tried lowering (and raising aswell) the ringtone volume to see if it had any effect but it has none.

If it's a feature not to control volume of java applications then there MUST be an overall phone volume setting or overall volume control when not using a java application. If not then it should be added by a firmware update as it's just daft to leave java applications (including Nokia's own games) to either play at max volume or having to disable volume alltogether.

Anyways looks like I need to look for an Analog headset at least for the time being. So any suggestions?

I am still curious about the sim card aswell though, as you will see when you check my profile as I have another topic on that.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Come on guys, what's a good cheap headset with analog volume control?

Also where should I contact nokia to ask them about the gross oversight of leaving out an overall sound, or other sounds option from the settings of the phone and they should rememdy this if possible?
Or do they have someone that reads this forum anyways?
Please use plain text.

Dear fren,

i read thru ur post and im totally lost.
im happy with the volumn control,
IMHO, either ur +/- key not function or u r not using 6110n.

BTW, i have a little question for 6110n for the contacts search/find function, my friend which using n73 and e61i they can search contacts for instance "John Rambo", n73 & e61i(i tried them myself) can find this name in ur contact by searching "Rambo", while my 6110n cant do this tricks! and i went to a nokia store, tried n95 and it works in that way too, so what is wrong with my 6110n, or what is wrong with 6110n? Can ur 6110n perform a better contact search?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
Wait so you can control the volume of Snakes or Marbles? (the two included nokia games)?
You can also control the overall volume of the phone? (not just the navigator, ringtones, keypad and call volume..or that of Realplayer and the radio?
Basically you can control volume like we could with old phones?
Do you have any other media players or games installed? can you check if their audo can be controlled or preset with the +/- key?

In response to your question, it's like an Alphabet search, so If you type in R it will look for any contact where any part of the name starts with an R, then you type in an a and it will filter those to only show names where a part of the name starts with Ra, and so on and so forth. Works the same way for the first name aswell.
It might be better to make your own topic in future though as what you are asking has nothing to do with my issue.

It is definately a 6110 Navigator as it looks the same and has the words Navigator written below the screen.

Message Edited by schumi4eva on 21-Sep-200708:09 PM

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Yes, I have the same problem; visually the phone responds to the +/- key (on screen sliders move) but sound is always at maximum unless you hit bottom where it is muted. MUST be a software bug. Anyone has a fix?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

The same works as you mentioned for the E65 and 6120 phones.

The only way is to LOWER the sound volume of the phone from the
menus BEFORE play a game ....

But as for myself I noticed that in some Java games this trick
is not succeed and the volume still is too high!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

The problem is though that it has not overall volume to lower before playing a game. It only has item specific volume control (ringtone, loudspeaker (when making/receiving a call only), no overall volume control to lower the whole volume of the phone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have just bought this phone and have discovered the same problem you are having..

Just installed Divx player and it starts up with an intro tone as the Divx splash screen displays and it blasts it out at a really high volume..

Pressing the volume down button on the side of the phone made no difference and Divx itself has no volume control within the application..

Hmmmm.. I'm finding a few things about this phone that are really peeing me off already and only had it a few days..

Can't even seem to turn off the shutter sound of the built in camera which seems standard on all other phones I've seen..

Perhaps we need to start a topic about recommendations for 6110 firmware updates and hope that someone with some clout in Nokia actually reads these posts and acts on them..

*:smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yeah ,I only noticed the shutter sound thing later. I really hope someone at Nokia comes accross this. Those oversights are some horribly glaring ones, how they even occured is beyond me. I mean they are standard on phones which are much more simple, so why not this one?
Please use plain text.