Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 700 not receiving SMS until power cycled

Sage
peterh338

Nokia 700 not receiving SMS until power cycled

I have not had any replies to a lot of SMS messages for a few days. Then I turned the phone off and back on and a load of messages were delivered within a few minutes.

However I had been using the phone for phone calls throughout that time.

It sounds like a bug...

It is latest firmware and on Vodafone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Do you have many sms in your phone?
If so delete them or back them up on nokia suite.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Sage
bassmantrb5ii

Are you receiving SMS messages properly now or are you still having to turn your phone off?

Could it be a temporary network issue?
Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

They are coming in OK now.

I don't have many stored. Perhaps a few dozen.

Come to think of it - is there ANY way to bulk delete messages I cannot see one. Nor is there a way to bulk delete emails... Same stupid problem with the Ipad, but there are replacement apps for that.

Is there a recommended SMS app, to replace the existing one, for SMS, which is specifically written to work on the 700 touch screen?

It could be a network issue but I have never seen anything like that, in 13 years of having GSM phones.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bassmantrb5ii

I think I recall having a similar problem a few years ago. Only happened once, put it down to network troubles.

Quickest way to bulk delete sms messages,

messaging - inbox (all messages displayed as opposed to conversations) - press one message and hold until menu pop up. Press mark. Press button with three lines (bottom right). Select mark all. Press again and select delete. Do this for outbox and sent.

To bulk delete emails, go into mailbox, press and hold an email. When menu pops up select mark. Repeat the process as per the sms messages. This will bulk delete all mail selected.

Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
tomotjkm

i have this problem too on a n97 mini, firmwar 12.0.11 (wont upgrade to 30.0) i have no messages ininbox or anywhere yet have to power cycle to get new messages any help please

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

How old is your sim card?

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sander_t

I have the same problem with my Nokia 701.

After FW update 111.030.0609 i have to restart my phone often to receive sms messages.

People start to email me to let me know there are messages waiting for me.

Really annoying, i first thought it was because of network problems but i do receive normal phone calls and whatsapp messages.

anyone who can help me with this without delting messages?

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

My Vodafone SIM card is brand new.

Looking at the above post, it does sound like a bug.

This explanation was posted in usenet and is very interesting:

Most people are aware that it is store and forward in that the message
doesn't go from your mobile to the destination one but rather via
something akin to a post office (the SMSC) which works out how to
deliver it to the destination mobile,  delivers it if it can and if not
holds it until it can deliver it.

As ever, the devil is in the detail, first of all deliveries to
destination mobiles are not universally successful (1% or so seem to
fail even if you know the mobile is available and has full signal) and
in general (although not always) SMSCs have a timer based retry to get
around that,  but sometimes the error specifies that the mobile is
really not there and hence the SMSC needs to set what is known as the
Message Waiting Data (MWD) in the Home Location Register (HLR) (the
database in the network that is always queried for your profile and
settings when you come into service in a new area).

When you next appear in a new area,  the Visited Location Register (VLR
- the local database at your new location,  generally controls roughly
100 cell sites or so) queries the HLR for your details and this query is
meant to cause the HLR to Alert the SMSC that you have appeared and to
make a new attempt to deliver the messages.

However, notice the occurrence of "new" area - if you hadn't actually
left the area and there was just a routing issue or a momentary loss of
signal then it can be hours (or potentially days) until a regular update
to the HLR occurs and you'll get your messages.

Now, also, all of these things have addresses in the network that need
to be configured and routed correctly,  and if 99%+ of the traffic is
successful (as it goes down a delivery route that works right) then it's
often very difficult for the networks to track down (particularly if it
only causes an unwanted delay and they get their revenue eventually anyway).

Of course, it could also be a phone bug that tries to say to the SMSC
"not right now",  but actually comes out with something like "my memory
is full and I'll tell you when I have space" (and it never does the the
latter).

None of that has anything to do with data and BB services though - data
is another can of worms that is very much a case of standards by committee.

I wonder if a phone firmware bug can cause this network behaviour?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sander_t

Although it is an interesting theory I still find it strange that I did not experience this problem on my nokia 6300 with the same sim card im using in my 701

I still think this problem has to do with the 701 and not with the network.

Please use plain text.
cakit

Im using a 701 and just this morning, I cant seem to receive messages untill I reboot my phone.  Also, for some reason, it seems to be running so slow.  Apps are lagging and sometimes it is unresponsive.  

Is it because of the updates?  are there any fixes?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sander_t

I am still experiencing this problem on my 701

Is there anyone at Nokia looking into this problem?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
quickfox28

I have been using a Nokia 700 for about 2 weeks now and am experiencing exactly the same problems as described in this thread. After the phone has been on for a while (sometimes as little as a few hours) it stops delivering incoming text messages. All these "missed" text messages then come through when the phone is rebooted, and all are timestamped with the time of the reboot rather than the time when they were actually sent. I have also noticed that voicemail notifications for missed calls are not delivered in these circumstances until the phone is rebooted.

Sadly, I'm on the point of returning this phone as not fit for purpose, as this is such a major shortcoming in what should be the phone's most basic functionality, i.e. the ability to know when someone is trying to get in touch with you.

Please use plain text.
TRG_Robert

Last December I bought a Nokia 701, but it also stops receiving sms after a while. I tried emptying the sms-folders, but that didn't help. Switching the phone off and on didn't help. I found that the only thing that helped with me was:

- taking out the simcard and putting it in a different phone (like my Nokia E52, or Nokia 6230i).

The moment that I put the simcard in one of the other phones, all sms'es that had been 'waiting' arrive all at once. Then when I put the simcard back in the Nokia 701 it is able to receive sms (ofcourse I only change the simcard when the phone is switched off). This solution only lasts till the next time that it suddenly stops receiving sms'es.

This problem occured with the original firmware and this week also with the latest one: 111.030.0609

I have product code 059L725.

This problem makes my phone litteraly useless (speach and sms are 2 basic functionalities that should always work) and I switched back to my Nokia E52 :-(

I have the impression that with Nokia it's all regression and funtionalities that were available/normal in older models all of a sudden are no longer there or no longer working correctly with newer models (think of the lack of an equalizer in the music player of the 701 vs the E52, or the latest Nokia maps not letting you define routes with multiple points anymore (maps 3.08 vs 3.06)).

I feel more and more alienated from the Nokia brand I used to love :-(

Please use plain text.
Braak

Same problem with my 700. At first I thought it was my operator's fault, but then I tried another phone and everything was OK.

The problem seems to be quite common, because when I search Google for "Nokia 700 not receiving texts", Google suggest completed the expression after I had typed "Nokia 700 n". And indeed, the results showed that many people are talking of this issue on various forums.

I'm not sure, but I think there are 2 problems in one:

- the 700 can't store a lot of message

- the 700 does not warn the user when the memory dedicated to SMS is full

So when you have 30 or 40 SMS stored, you think that you have plenty of space available because you're supposed to have a modern phone, while the memory is actually saturated, and the phone does not warn you. But it tells the SMSC that it can't store the incoming message. Which is useless, because the sender of the message won't get warned neither.

According to Wikipedia, a typical SMS consists of 190 bytes, including protocol overhead. So a thousand SMS represents 185 kilobytes only. Why the 700 can't store more than a few dozens of SMS is beyond me. There is plenty of space on my phone, and it would require only a few kilobytes so that I can store hundreds of messages. At the very least, the phone should tell the user "hey you, the memory is full, you should delete a few messages".

Nokia's slogan is "connecting people", but in the past few weeks, many people tried to connect with me by SMS but couldn't.

My old Nokia 6100 (issued in 2002) could store 150 SMS, and it was able to warn the user when the memory was full.

The 700 has several other problems concerning basic fonctionnalities, like many people reported on this forum (like the very weak vibrator, with which you'll miss almost all incoming calls). But when Nokia releases a firmware update (Belle FP1), it's just to add useless things like dolby sound. Nokia, please fix the basic fonctionnalities first, and then, add whatever fancy fonctionnality you want. I can live without dolby sound. But I really need to have incoming calls and SMS.

Please use plain text.
N95_E66

I have also the same problem with my Nokia 700. It stops receiving SMS messages, and when I reboot the phone it receives the messages. Does anyone have the solution to the problem? Hopefully, next SW release fixes this.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jeff_Symbian

[ Edited ]

I also can't receive any SMS since 1 month, and a hard reset or reboot does not fix it, even temporarily. It is a severe bug in the firmware, with a setting that's persistent even after a hard reset.

I need to use an old Nokia to get my SMS and voice mail notification, that shows it is not network-related.

And in many European countries Nokia has no Nokia service centers...

Quality becomes a serious issue with Nokia phones, even the high-end ones, and that's really sad for those who loved this brand.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dhavalkhatri

Dear, Sir

I am used nokia 700 ..eny sms received phone but sms not show to Inbox ..

Plz solve

regard's

dhaval

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
raji701

Facing the similar problem with my 701, just reinstalled the software and it started working smooth again :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.