Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 808 Belle FP1 bug: WLAN works but not al...

Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

Re: Nokia 808 Belle FP1 bug: WLAN works but not all apps can use it / no available access points

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

There is an FAQ on the way, I will copy/paste it here whilst waiting for it to be public:

-------------------------------------

Question:

Why is my phone that is using Nokia Belle Feature Pack 1 or Feature Pack 2 software (e.g. Nokia 808 PureView) not able to establish a proper connection to an older Wi-Fi access point (such as D-Link DI-524)?

Answer:

There are several improvements in Nokia Belle Feature Pack 2 regarding the Wi-Fi connectivity (see the listing below):

• We have reduced the “Limited Connectivity” notes
  • We have solved several previous Wi-Fi connectivity issues including:
    • enterprise Wi-Fi network had connection failures (EAP authentication)
    • unnecessary, repeated requests for password in reconnection situations
    • some applications (e.g. Nokia Store) were not able to create Wi-Fi connections
    • Wi-Fi connection stopped after some minutes
  • We have also improved Wi-Fi to 3G roaming
    • Connection failures at GPRS to/from Wi-Fi handovers

For those interested in testing the latest WLAN software update (trial), please visit the Nokia Beta Labs: http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/wlan-software-update

-------------------------------------

regards, Craig

Please use plain text.
chilikinid

Re: Nokia 808 Belle FP1 bug: WLAN works but not all apps can use it / no available access points

Solved for my ASUS RT-N56: - Advanced Setting - Wireless - Professional - Beacon Interval: - Set 20 (old value - 100) Beacon Interval means the period of time between one beacon and the next one. The default value is 100 (the unit is millisecond, or 1/1000 second). Lower the Beacon Interval to improve transmission performance in unstable environment or for roaming clients, but it will be power consuming.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mSnus

I've just SOLVED the "Connection failed: connection unavailaible" problem on E6-00!

[ Edited ]

:question: Problem was:

After update to Belle I was not able to open on-lne videos (YouTube, etc).

Description:

Even if I had  two or more working connections (3G + WiFi, browsers works OK), when I tried to open the on-line video, built-in streaming video player was opened with "Connection failed: connection unavailaible"

:attention: Solution:

Go to "Destinations" in Settings, and erase all extra destinations: wi-fi hotspots, 3G settings, etc, that you don't need every day.

I left only 1 x 3G connection for my operator, and 5 or 6 wi-fi hotspots that I use quite often.

Voila!!! :w00t:

It seems the bug only affects you if you have many (e.g. more than 10) destinations defined. Have fun guys!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fetmelter

Craig, you should have worked for the marketing department to let the world know about this "revolutionary feature" built in Symbian.

I use it but I find the integration lacking.

I wish the SIP would work out of the box on Belle FP2 and easy to install as on a Nokia N900.

If only you guys had worked together more closely with the Maemo team Nokia would have been in better shape today.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
fansboy

Hi Guys, related FP2 which always show limited connectivity, I just found out solution that works for my 808.

"When I want to connect with Wifi, I turn off first mobile data connection then connect to WiFi."

I already try with 2 different access point that before shows Limited Connectivity, but after using above "solution" it connected properly

I don't know if this can works with yours..

cheers

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
heendrik25

Hi Craig,

thanks for your post regarding the FAQ on its way.

My question is: "There are several improvements in Nokia Belle Feature Pack 2 regarding the Wi-Fi connectivity"

Will these improvements also become available for Nokia Belle Refresh devices like N8/E7 etc.? Because these do also have similar issues with the Wi-Fi connection.

Regards,

heendrik25

Please use plain text.
Sage
jake20

mayjas wrote:
Read somewhere, tried it n worked!!!
Enabled QoS support in wifi modem......tried youtube HD streaming.....worked !! Nokia store....worked !!! Downloaded video 140Mb......downloaded in a single stretch !!!!
Guys, try it n post ur results to help our fellow Pureview users.....

i did this and it has seemed to resolve my wifi drops on my linksys router at home..

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
Craig_Mitchell

Hi,

For those interested in testing the latest WLAN software, then this might interest you:

http://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/wlan-software-update

Regards, Craig

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kbs192

Hi Craig,

Many thanks for your information. I just installed this update and indeed -  wifi works perfect. As a benchmark I made an update of my ovi maps which caused 1.8 GB traffic. No wifi drops at all - it is amazing.  I think the wifi issue has been patched on my Nokia 808. 

Many thanks again.

(Damn, yesterday I ordered a new router to replace my old D-Link DI-524.)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Zarag0za_

Unfortunately I'm still having the same problem  ("limited conectivity") after installing this software, and following the instructions.

As I said I'm the owner of a THOMSON SPEEDTOUCH  585 V6  :crying:

Last month I changed the router, with a new THOMSON TG585 V7. And with this one, the 808 works perfectly. But when I saw the software, I unboxed the old THOMSON, but is not working.

Thanks for you interest, and sorry for my bad English.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pureviewusa

Works great for me. I can finally enable the auto-upload photo feature in skydrive with wifi

Keep up the great work

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tf_translate

[ Edited ]

Dear Craig

I'm back (remember, it was me who started this thread). My 808 is back from Nokia Care, they have done some soldering operation to fix the 3G bug and they completely rewrote the firmware (FP2). So it should behave like brand new. As long as I was debugging the 3G stuff I did not care about Wi-Fi, but now getting Wi-Fi to work is my next target.

What I can report is that the overall Wi-Fi experience has improved with FP2. However, it is not true that all remaining issues only affect older AP's. Some of the issues which you say are fixed in FP-2 for newer AP are still present for me. Following getting my 808 half a year ago, I have already replaced all my access points. My current hardware is:

D-LINK DAP 2310

1.15   18:12:59 08/08/2012

mixed b/g/n, WPA2 Personal,  WMM enabled, SSID visible, auto channel selection, auto channel width,  auto wpa mode, auto cipher type, manual group key update, short GI enabled, ht 20/40 coexistence enabled

D-LINK DAP 1522

Firmware Version: 1.11, 14:47:43 10/27/2008

Let's concentrate on the DAP 2310 since it is the most recent device (however I will only be next to it until January 9, then I will go back to German where I will have the DAP 1522. But symptoms with both are similar). My experience is as follows, currently:

1. Everything works fine when I am actively fetching data. I tap on Wi-Fi, tap the Wi-Fi in question, connection gets established, and then I can fetch e-mail, effect very large dowlonads, do several things concurrenctly without a problem.

2. The problem is that when the phone is idle (but with several widgets that regularly access the i'net), sooner or later, Wi-Fi disconnects and does not reconnect by itself. E.g. in the mornings, there is a > 50 % probability that the phone will sit off-line or on EGPRS rather than on Wi-Fi.  (Or, if mobile data was disabled, it will be offline and show limited connectivity messages). The situation can be fixed by following step 1 (manually connect the wi-fi, connection will be established without a problem). However it is a big nuisance that the phone does not stay connected constantly / does not re-connect automatically. My final goal is to have a SIP client running on the phone and that really means that it should stay connected to the Wi-Fi.

3. Nokia Store, for some obscure reason, is not able to download purchases over Wi-Fi. Browsing the store works fine, but in order to download, I need to use mobile data.

Should I install the betalabs software or did you only fix things for old access points in that one?

While I am extremely frustated by all those basic functionality issues, still, thanks for your great and continued support!

Best regards,

Tobias

EDIT:

I forgot to mention two other important things:

- Power saving mode is disabled on the phone (of course I'd love being able to enable it)

- The phone also does not connect to Wi-Fi automatically after startup even though there are widgets (facebook, e-mail) that would require an update. It just does nothing. I have to manually hook it up to Wi-Fi to get the widgets do update.

www.tf-translate.net
www.deutscheschule.kiev.ua
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tf_translate

[ Edited ]

Craig,

I found out that in the Wi-Fi settings (click on Edit for a given network while it is not connected), there is an option that reads "Network Status" and can be either "Public" or "Hidden". I installed your Beta software so I am not sure whether it's been there before or not.

This option is set to "Public" by default and when set to "Public", it leads to the "Wi-Fi connection stops after some minutes" behaviour I described in #132. When set to "Hidden", the Wi-Fi stays always-on as I desire.

?!?!?

Could you please explain what this option really is for? I thought it related to the SSID but this is obviously not the case. Is it something like the Windows 7 type "Home/Office/Public" network selection? I.e., is the constantly disconnecting behaviour in "Public" mode a security feature to prevent unnecessary exposure to untrusted public Wi-Fi networks? If this is the case, then "Hidden" is a total misnomer for the "secure network" option. It should then rather read "Home network" or "Private network".

I have been 36 hours without disconnection in "Hidden" mode, then I restarted the phone and upon restart it went back online automatically! My phone finally behaves as desired. Yeah!

Regards,

Tobias

www.tf-translate.net
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tf_translate

My joy was premature. On the fourth day, without any intervention from my side, my phone reverted to the behaviour described in #132. So now it again looses Wi-Fi after some 15 minutes even with the "Hidden" setting.

I deleted all Wi-Fi settings, then re-initalized only the one I currently use, but to no avail. Again, whatever I do now, both in Hidden and in Public mode, the Wi-Fi connection will not stay online as soon as I put the phone away for more then five minutes or so.

I had a similar period of 2-3 days of perfect functionality after upgrading to FP2. I intially thought that FP2 solved all my problems, but on the third day, after a manual restart, the phone reverted to the "always going offline" behaviour.

So theroteically the phone can keep up Wi-Fi continously, but something happens that stops it from doing so. As I said, I don't do anything special. Just have the Social and Mail widgets and read some eBooks with eBook reader. No heavy use at all. The phone is always in the same location next to the router.

www.tf-translate.net
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pishva36

i have update my nokia 808   to   113.010.1507  this week

I still have the    "LIMITED CONNECTIVITY"   problem yet

and the wifi access points suddenly goes to Uncategorised folder  I dont know why this **bleep** problem not solve yet

nokia shame on u hurry up , what are u donig ??????:angry:

I have paid 600 $ for this phone but I can not use the wifi 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tf_translate

I am slowly coming to the conclusiong that (except for the store problem) the issue I describe in #132 is related to the Mail and Facebook widgets and not to WiFi connectivity itself.

While I was debugging the 3G bug on my phone, I only had few apps installed and my assumption was that the Facebook and Mail widgets should be enought to keep the phone always on. But now I think that for some reasons these widgets are somewaht lazy and don't request internet access often enough to force the connection to stay on. I have now installed Skype and Whatsapp, and since I have installed those, my phone stays connected to Wi-Fi all the time (now, finally, thankfully, with FP2 and after I have bought new routers for all my sites) and I have not yet observed an attempt to dial mobile data while Wi-Fi is available.

So maybe I am not having a Wi-Fi bug anymore. I am not sure yet. If I experience further core Wi-Fi errors, I will let you know, otherwise, for the time being, I consider my problem as preliminarily solved.

www.tf-translate.net
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Having all of those "limited connectivity" issuses and random disconects with my Asus WL-500W for the last month (since I bought nokia 808).  Tested every  possible option in router and phone settings, but to no avail. Finally bought a new, cheapest TP-Link router for 10 euros and everything works flawlessly.

P.s: Betalabs fix doesn't fix the issues, neither does the latest firmware (1508)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
popholy

[ Edited ]

I have a N8(Belle Refresh) and a 808(FP2) ; The N8 has no problem but 808 always has this problem at all the WiFi networks!!
I have tested:
WAP2
WEP
Open ad-hoc
and...

=======

This problem meke U can't use EpoCam and similar softwares!!!:smileymad:

Moderator's Note: This post was edited to remove inappropriate words used. Please voice out your concern in a tone that's respectful to Nokia and to other users of the forum.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Zarag0za_

Today I have been reading that there are a new software update.

"Wi-Fi update – v10.04(8), one minor build along from the Beta Labs version of the WLAN driver update, intended to improve reliability and performance of Wi-fi connections to older routers. I’ve had excellent results from this in recent months, so well done to Nokia for rolling this out to everyone."

Do I have some way to download this update and try if this solves this wifi bug?

Could someone give us a download link?

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/flow/item/17305_Wi-fi_and_YouTube_updates_roll.php

Please use plain text.
Contributor
edsm

Hi!

New here...

just bought the 808 for my wife (who is so excited with it)  but...'limited wifi connection' ;-( this is so upsetting as we only use internet for or mobiles via our wifi at home...

I've read through these pages but theres just too much info I dont understand...is there any way to solve this problem or should I just return the phone?

I called nokia but it costed me fortunes and the man tried to blame my modem (which works fine for my laptop and other mobiles) and and told me to reset my mobile which I did about 10 times already...realy not very helpful and that after buying such an expensive phone of theirs...

i live in Belgium and have a speedtouch lan modem.

Anyone here maybe that can help me help? It would be so much appreciated!

Please use plain text.