Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 808, Impossible to find a 3g bug-free un...

Advisor
JoeDay

Nokia 808, Impossible to find a 3g bug-free unit?

[ Edited ]

I just recieved and returned 4 faulty 808 units in a row. All with the same problem; no sooner does it have 3g signal, it starts to reboot all the time.

Last unit IMEI was 351965051XXXXXX. On another thread an user claimed to have a working 808 with IMEI 35196505191xxxx However there isn't any Nokia official statement yet.

So, how can I purchase a 3g bug-free 808?

Moderator's Note: IMEI was edited because it is unwise to publish unique serial numbers on a public web forum.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Re: Nokia 808, Impossible to find a 3g bug-free unit?

What country are you in?

It's meaningless unless you post that info.

Looking at IMEIs posted here and elsewhere (BTW the Nokia mods will delete your post with the full IMEI. They don't seem to mind if you put xxxx in the last four digits) it looks like Nokia only built one batch of the 808, about mid 2012, and they have been selling out of that batch till now.

I am in the UK. There is a UK trader selling 35196505192xxxx which is clearly new stock. I have ordered one and will report (including the trader's name) when I have got it and tested it.

By '3G' do you mean the phone is showing '3G' or is it showing '3.5G' which is HSPA?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JoeDay

I'm in Europe. The first faulty unit I got came from the UK. I didn't pay attention to its IMEI the first because I thought it would be just an isolated case. My mistake.

It was 3.5g but I couldn't even reach the settings menu before the phone started to freeze and reboot all the time.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

OK, so you bought it in the UK but are not using it in the UK.

That sounds reasonable since none of the 48 user reports on amazon.co.uk is reporting the HSPA bug, whereas those from other countries do report it.

Which country are you using it in?

Later this week I should have the 192xxxx and will report :smileyhappy:

The current Nokia "fix" is here

http://www.nokia.com/pk-en/support/product/808/troubleshooting/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA140286_en_...

which you could try in the meantime.

Other things to try are to disable processes which go online automatically. Disable MAPS IMPROVEMENT in Nokia Maps / Nokia Drive.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JoeDay

I was using the phone in Spain. This fix;

http://www.nokia.com/pk-en/support/product/808/troubleshooting/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA140286_en_...

...was impossible to apply because all the phones I got started to freeze and reboot whenever they show 3g signal. It was impossible to reach the settings menu.  

Good luck with your 192xxxx. Give a voice on this thread if any good.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

I suggest you drive to some place out of town, where there is little or no signal. Or go into an underground garage or a tunnel or similar.

Or place the phone in a metal box or surround it with aluminium foil to block the signal.

It has also been indicated that a less than fully charged battery makes this bug more likely to show up, so charge it fully.

What mobile network are you on, and where did the SIM card come from? That could be really useful information.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

The other thing you could do is remove the SIM card :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Does anybody get a strange popup window asking you to do a survey, when they login?

It breaks my Firefox, and it also breaks a completely fresh install on Chrome, which worked just once. It works only on IE8.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JoeDay

I already returned the phone, again :smileyfrustrated:  My network is Vodafone. Signal was strong. Battery was almost full.

On another thread it was stated that this was a hardware problem. A faulty capacitor on the motherboard that you need to have replaced. If true, no software trick will make it. :smileywink:

With no SIM card, this phone worked but I noticed some issues. When plugged to my computer USB port, Windows 7 didn't recognize it as if it was a USB pen drive, even after installing and re-installing the drivers. Nokia Suit didn't work either.

I took some super 38mp photos but I found my self unable to transfer them to my computer.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

My Nokia 700 doesn't work brilliantly via USB, for file transfer.

One has to do a Refresh a few times.

There is a setting in the phone, for the USB port function. You can make the phone look like a USB block device (a logical drive e.g. Z:smileyhappy: and then it transfers files nicely. Or you can make it work for Nokia Suite.

I find the 700, if left in the Nokia Suite mode, works OK for file transfer but as I say one tends to have to do a Refresh on the Windows Explorer window, when it says the device is busy.

Where in the UK did you buy it from?

Was the network Vodafone UK, contract or PAYG?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JoeDay

That setting in the phone for USB didn't work at all. Nokia Suite neither. If there is any kind of hardware problem, it makes sense.

I purchased through eBay and I only tried the phone with Vodafone network in Spain. 

I asked my dealer if they have any 5192xxxx unit around. No answer yet, we'll see.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

I did not see anybody on UK Ebay who looked like they could be trusted. None of the sellers ever replied to my messages and most were shipping from HK so a high chance of getting hit for duty and VAT and the post office collection fee, which makes it pointless. I am paying GBP 370 for this one, from a UK seller.

If your phone crashes instantly upon registering on the network, there must be something "extremely interesting" about the network in your area.

Are you on a Vodafone ES SIM card and registering with Vodafone Spain?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rt_rt

peterh338, what store sells 192s?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JoeDay

If your phone crashes instantly upon registering on the network, there must be something "extremely interesting" about the network in your area.

I don't think so. Most of line providers in Spain use only 2 main networks, one of them being Vodafone. My network is the same network than other zillion of users have.  

The problem here must be a faulty phone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Of course it is a faulty phone; all 808s (except maybe a very recent batch which almost nobody has yet got) are faulty in this way.

But there has to be something in the Spanish cellular network config which makes the fault show up so 100% reliably.

In the UK, the same phones (or apparently the same phones) are OK, or mostly OK.

Nokia must know what the problem is. If they really don't know, and If there is anybody left inside Nokia who has a brain, they will be in contact with you right now for details :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JoeDay

there has to be something in the Spanish cellular network config which makes the fault show up so 100% reliably.

I don't know :smileyhappy: What I'd like to hear from Nokia is what IMEIs are bug free for sure and where to get one.

I have returned 4 faulty 808s in a row, I think we deserve some customer care.

Please use plain text.