Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 808 PureView loses cellular and internet...

Counsellor
dj24

Re: Nokia 808 PureView loses cellular and internet connection!!!

[ Edited ]

I went ahead and chose 3G only from network connectivity and its been working fine for about 24 hours.  Of course I've only been travelling back and forth between home and work so its not definite yet. 

My observations so far:

- The phone goes into this limbo state and loses connection while it's changing back and forth from 3G, GSM or hspa+ connection.  The workaround for this is to choose only one of these network solutions to avoid it.  Of course this depends on the city and kind of coverage you have with both AT&T and T-mobile and not a lot of people including myself want to take 3G or hspa+ out of the equation so it might not work for everyone. 

- The 2nd option is to chose powersaving mode (Nokia Battery Monitor) and turn it on whenever you're not going to be using your phone for a while or leaving it idle.  I've never had mine not work when I've left it on this mode.

- The third option is turning off mobile data from the notifications drop down menu everytime and configure all e-mail settings and apps to manual synch (I always have everything set to manual anyways) and turn it back on when you need data access.  I have yet to test this more thoroughly but my feeling is it is a workaround that will work.

What do you guys think?    

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

4th option: WP8 on the Lumia 920

Done.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marilith3602

Not a happy solution for those of us who have spent spent a nice amount of cash on the 808.
The camera you have beats the biggest and best one one you had to leave at home
Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

You mean like $723 for overnight Saturday delivery form Amazon on the first day it was available? I'm THAT guy.

Mine is sitting in a drawer with my $450 N8, and $600 N97. ALL Nokia "flagships" that NEVER worked as they should have. My Lumia 900 does work, VERY well. Has since day one. I (for one) am thankful that Nokia's excellent hardware now has an OS that is worthy of it. 

I feel your pain (probably for MUCH longer), but it isn't gonna stop......

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marilith3602

Timmyjo, that is awful. My N8 is and has been great from day one two years ago.
It was my good experience with that that prompted me to try the Pureview!
I will say my experience with my lumia 710 has been superb.
I am looking forward to tmousa getting the 810.
OIS will be most welcome...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ppww

Took my nokia 808 to a nokia care point, to have my phone investigated and re-flash and hey no fault found My firmware was 113 010 1507 but change to 113 010 1506. I only now have to disable the hspa now, phone working fine so far, fingers cross
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dj24

[ Edited ]

Has anyone else noticed that leaving the phone idle by turning power saving mode on (Nokia Battery Monitor) seems to work?  What about turning mobile data off until you need it?  These 2 options seem to be the best ones that seem to work for me.  I'm kinda training myself to do it everytime I lock and unlock the phone (takes an extra second or two) and with time I believe I'll get used to it.  Worst case senario guys what do you think?  Can we do it if this issue never gets fixed and live with these limitations?

By the way I think Phoenix gets excellent 3G coverage from t-mobile and I haven't had to disable hspa+ yet.  Taking 2G out of the equation seems to have stabilized my phone for some reason.  I've been going with just manual 3G and IVP6 and I haven't had any issues in a while and therefore haven't had to resort to the above paragraph mentioned back up solutions yet. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dj24

Well you can scratch 3G mode for me too as my phone just now wouldn't place calls from its idle mode. I know- the ink had barely dried from my last post :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Marilith3602

i have tried all the above to no avail.

Nokia still has not sent me an RMA

I am going to try a brand spanking new SIM

Should fail the 808 goes into long term storage or on the block

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dj24

Well turning off my mobile data settings from the notifications drop down menu has been working for me for about 48 hours now.  I have everything back to normal (dual connectivity and back to IPV4)  No reboots or calls and sms connection problems have shown up so far.  The only downside I've seen is when I get incoming calls from people in my contact list- their names sometimes doesn't appear on the caller id screen.  I have everything else set to update on manual as well.

Has everyone else tried this method so far and if not give it a try.  It can't hurt.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jondotcom

Marilith3602 wrote:

i have tried all the above to no avail.

Nokia still has not sent me an RMA

I am going to try a brand spanking new SIM

Should fail the 808 goes into long term storage or on the block

It's sad that such a great piece of hardware might have to get shelved.

Is Nokia listening? Where is this "fix" they spoke about? It's been nearly a month since that post (and several months since the issue was posted on the forums).

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

It's sad for Symbian users (I was one), but it's good for WP8 users (I am one). Symbian was really good, but has been stumbling along for a few years. At least now, the unparalleled hardware of Nokia has an OS that works. I just got a Lumia 920 this morning. Try one, if you can. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dj24

Hey everyone.  In case anyone hasn't been checking the other thread-  it was just reported that A Nokia Care Center in ukraine just confirmed this issue as hardware related.  A bad capacitor board is the cause of all of our problems and there are instructions from nokia to replace it at least in this one user's case.

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Bug-in-808-3g-mobile-data/td-p/14797...

I seriously suggest everyone return/ try to return their phones as this is evidently not a software issue with a simple firmware fix.  I just returned mine back to Amazon U.S a couple of days ago and followed up with them with a long e-mail explaining this whole situation.  The more people do this- the more Amazon is likely to bring/ follow this up with Nokia.  I will subsequently post a review on Amazon's site with this new updated information.

Product recall anyone?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
808PureViewUser

Hi there,

I had picked up this line from your response:

"The camera you have beats the biggest and best one one you had to leave at home"

Let me tell you this ain't true for me atleast ;-)

It's good to remember that there is no way calculating pixels whatever way can ever beat the natural input of light from a big lense (those in professional cameras for digital photography with same price category).

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ppww

Hi all looks like we have answer to the 3.5g bug, the problem and answer was on this discussion site yesterday but not find it now. Anyway the problem is an capacitors problem on the circuit board. If you go to this website www.Allaboutsymbian.com and follow the links, we all could be in some with some luck. Let hope nokia find a way quickly to rectified the fault now.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rnkhch

[ Edited ]

There is only one report about the capacitor being the culprit. We still don't know if changing the capacitor actually solves the problem. We need an official statement from Nokia about this hardware flaw. Also I'm waiting for at least a few people to confirm if their 808s are o.k. after being fixed by Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

[ Edited ]

YES, we need more proof. I have a small business assembling circuit boards. I'll gladly replace the cap. myself once this is truly confirmed. I'll just need to know where it is, and the value of the component to be installed.

If it works, and isn't ridiculously difficult, I might offer to do this for others at a small cost.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

This is as official as you will get:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Bug-in-808-3g-mobile-data/m-p/162308...

Nokia will not disclose details of an internal service bulletin.

I am not sure I would prefer to have someone attempt a DIY fix on my handset and void any warranty for a small cost instead of having it done for free by an authorised Nokia Care Point and keeping the warranty valid.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rnkhch

I noticed today that Amazon started to sell the phone again. Anybody knows whether it's the same faulty batch or a new (perhaps fixed) batch?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dj24

Nope.  In the 3G Bug Forum someone reported that their new 808 still suffers from this issue.

Please use plain text.