Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 808 PureView loses cellular and internet...

Diffuser

Re: Nokia 808 PureView loses cellular and internet connection!!!

[ Edited ]

I recently recieved my order from Amazon (ordered after they started selling it again - I placed the order on December 5th). I wasn't aware of this problem until after I ordered, although I did notice that they stopped selling it for a brief period of time.

Anyway, I received the order, and strangely the box has a double sticker. It looks like it was opened before!
So I'm wary of opening it now after reading about all the unresolved problems and noticing the broken seal on my box covered with another seal.

Any advice on how to proceed? I'm thinking of just returning it unopened and waiting until the problems are resolved.

See the attached photo of the double-seal.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jondotcom

While this could indicate they double-stickered it at the factory after doing a hardware swap, if I were you I would stay away from buying the 808 unitl there have been enough reports of units getting replaced with working ones under warranty.

There haven't been enough reports of "fixed" units to justify the purchase, and if I were still within the return policy at Amazon I would have absolutely returned it for a full refund by now. I only sent it in for warranty service because it was my only choice.

There is no good reason to take the chance on experiencing the same (terrible) problems all of us are stuck with, if you don't have to.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

[ Edited ]

^ well.. as of now there is only one report of a fixed one that I know of, and that was in Switzerland.

I just PMed him, and he said that his phone hasn't had a reboot/hang since he got it back.. two weeks. Good news.. maybe the guys at the US care point still don't have the right parts/instructions on how to fix them...

http://theonecfw.blogspot.ch/2012/11/my-nokia-808-is-back.html

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rnkhch

Here is another workaround I found for this problem! The reason I needed a better workaround (compared with disabling high speed packet data) is that doing so severely limits internet speed and we still get reboots although a lot less frequently.

So I thought if I leave high speed packet data enabled and 1) set the phone to dual mode every time I use it and 2) set it to GSM when I'm done using the phone could prevent the random reboots (or total disconnects for FP1). However, I realized doing this manually every time would be a hassle. Knowing that activating power saving mode sets the phone to GSM and deactivating it sets the phone back to dual mode, I thought maybe there is an app that would be helpful for this situation. After a lot of research I found out that there is an app called "Battery Power Saver" developed by our good friend, Mr. Ashraf Alshahawy, that does exactly what I needed!!! It activates power saving after you stop using the phone and immediately inactivates power saving as soon as you start using the phone!!! So I got the app and started my experiments: I set the app to turn on power saving one minute after I'm done using the phone and turn off power saving as soon as I unlock the screen!!! And Voila!!! My phone has been fine for 5 days now with no problems at all, and I get to enjoy full 3.5G speed every time I need to use the phone!!! It seems that frequent and numerous times of enabling/disabling the 3.5G prevents that faulty capacitor from misbehaving!!!! :smileyhappy: I have attached screenshots of the settings that I have used in the Battery Power Saver app.

This workaround would be useful for those people who have access to both 3G and 2G networks. Unfortunately, if you are limited to 3G network only, this approach will not be useful for you. Can you guys try this workaround and let me know how it works?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

^ very well.. but what if you are driving around and playing a youtube clip, or using the navigation which requires a connection ?

It is a workaround, but Nokia needs to solve the problem..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JonathanK84

Same Problem

808 Seems to be defective ALL OF THEM

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JonathanK84

Same problems im on att also
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JonathanK84

I think its ATT
Please use plain text.
Contributor
JonathanK84

Has to b ATT
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vlado3g

Its not AT&T ... no one really knows exactly what it is :smileyhappy: But ya.. I would say that there is a pretty big percantage of defective ones out there, maybe all of them...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
JonathanK84

it has to be the network in the US NOT THE PHONE

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rnkhch

It has been 5 days that my 808 has been acting differently. Instead of the total disconnect issue that used to happen before the 1507 update, my phone now experiences a partial disconnect where the cellular connection is fine (i.e. I can receive calls and text messages), but internet connection is completely lost!!! All I need to do is a quick restart (with a long press on the lock button of Belle Extra Buttons app) to bring the phone back to normal, and there is no need to take the battery out as before. Also leaving the phone on with high speed packet data enabled did not cause any reboots in the last 5 days even when I was driving in low reception areas.

This experience tells me that the problem may be at least in part related to AT&T network and is probably a software bug rather than hardware as Nokia claims. There has been only one definitive report of hardware fix, whereas almost everybody else that sent their phone got the same or new phone without any real fixes. However, the 1507 update managed to change the total disconnect behavior to the random reboot, and now I experience this new phenomenon.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
brianbrannon

I have the loosing connection issue still on T-Mobile. I had the reboot issue and sent my handset in got a different one back and now has this issue
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rnkhch

I decided to try the 5052 phones to see if they are any different from the older ones. So I purchased one from amazon and sadly found out that it is also defective. The phone came with the 1508 software installed as well, so I was hoping that it should be fine, but it went into the total disconnect mode within a few hours of using it. [So it was even worse than my original 5050 phone because at least the 5050 ones crash (after the latest update) rather than going into the total disconnect mode.]

So I can confirm that neither the 5052 batch nor the 1508 update have done anything to solve this mysterious problem. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rnkhch

[ Edited ]

It seems that finally a solution for the 3.5G/3G connectivity bug has been offered by Nokia. It is an unbelievably small (~3kb) update called "3G network compatibility fix" which has been made available via Nokia Suite (although it does not seem to be available yet here in the U.S., so I had to download it from Daily Mobile Forum). I installed it on April 24th, and did not even restart my phone (it did not require a restart after installation). Immediately after installation, I set my phone to 3.5G by turning on high speed packet data, and started to torture the phone in any possible way that I could think of or read/heard about in order to make the phone crash, but so far I have not been successful, and the phone seems to be rock solid even in the worst scenarios that would previously cause the phone to crash within minutes or even seconds!!! :smileyhappy: I'm glad that finally Nokia did something about this problem, and I hope to not witness any crashes at least for a couple of months.

So it seems that I was right from the get-go that this problem was a software bug and not a hardware bug, and I'm pleased that now my 808 PureView behaves normally. I was never convinced by the claims about the capacitor defect, and the person who first announced it later said that the replacement was actually for a transistor and not a capacitor. Also the fact that Nokia repair centers have no clue of such a hardware defect further confirms that the cause of this issue is probably a software bug. The few capacitor(/transistor) repairs that have been reported were probably done to address a different diagnosed issue that might have happened to help with the 3.5G/3G connectivity issue in certain networks/locations, and we all know that this issue is heavily network/location dependent. The announcement by Nokia that they had identified the cause of this issue either 1) was about a different issue which happened to cause the phone to crash in a similar way or 2) was a sham to keep things under control until they work out the real solution (which seems to be this '3G network compatibility fix' update. I had another personal experience with software update improvements. When I first got my N8, which came with Anna, it used to crash once a week pretty much consistently. After the Belle update, the crash frequency decreased significantly to about once a month and the phone became much more stable. (I would have returned my N8 if I hadn't received the Belle update on time to see the improvements.) Just like 808, the N8 problem occurred only on 3G and not on GSM, and I have read about similar problems on a few other Nokia models. So it seems that the 3G compatibility bug has been much more widespread, and 808 has just been unlucky to display the symptoms in the worst possible way, so bad that it finally caused Nokia to wake up and forced them to do something about it. (First they released the "telephony" update which stabilized the phone on 3G only, but not 3.5G, and now comes the network compatibility fix, which takes care of 3.5G.)

Anyways, I will continue to use/torture my phone for a number of days more to be completely certain, and I will report back.

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

I've just posted this elsewhere:

I've just been to Germany and got some confusing results.

With HSPA enabled, mobile data worked but only sometimes, often stopping halfway through a transfer. Also the phone would go into a state where incoming calls or texts were not being received - until it was restarted.

Disabling HSPA gave me 100% reliable mobile data.

This is not a thorough test, being only over 2 days. But it is probably significant. Germany has a very fast HSPA - anything up to 10mbits/sec - and I suspect the HSPA bug has not been fixed. It is very likely that Nokia did some tinkering to make it less likely to crash the phone completely.

My 808 stopped doing the HSPA crash a few weeks ago, immediately following some Nokia update (which claimed to do the Gallery or something like that) and also following the installation (but subsequent switching off of) Mr Alshawavy's battery saver app.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rnkhch

I also saw the same thing a few weeks ago when I got the Telephony update together with the gallery update and maybe a few more. The phone became completely stable on 3G only, but not 3.5G because when I enabled HSPA right after the telephony update, the phone crashed within 5 minutes. So I turned off HSPA, and the phone has been completely stable to this day, so my conclusion was that the telephony update fixed the issue only on 3G and not 3.5G. Since April 24th, I turned on HSPA again immediately after installing the network compatibility fix (no restart required), and the phone has been wonderful so far on 3.5G.

Did you install the network compatibility fix update yet?

Please use plain text.
Sage
peterh338

Yes; didn't seem to do anything at all.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rnkhch

I see. Maybe the fix is not effective for all networks/locations.

But my phone was excellent for another day today!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rnkhch

Here is the result of my test so far on 3.5G (HSPA enabled). My phone crashed on day 11 after installation of the 3G network compatibility fix update.

So I can confirm that while this update has not completely fixed the bug, it has made a significant improvement in the stability of the phone. I hope that this bug can eventually be fully resolved, but I'm very impressed by the 3G network compatibility fix.

Immediately after crashing, I turned off HSPA, and I'm currently testing the phone on 3G. I will report the results later.

Please use plain text.