Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 808 Pureview - Sleeping Screensaver Problem

Contributor
Wumpscut1982

Nokia 808 Pureview - Sleeping Screensaver Problem

Hi,

I have just received the new 808 and I have installed the latest version of Nokia Sleeping Screensaver but it's not working properly. The problem is that it's too dim to see on my screen. This appears to also affect the default clock screensaver, it's too dim to see clearly. Raising the brightness does not make a difference.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to fix this?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Re: Nokia 808 Pureview - Sleeping Screensaver Problem

The Sleeping screen app does display a dim image by default and also removes a certain amount of pixels from the pictures so as to conserve battery life.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Wumpscut1982

Thank you, but I am aware of that. 

I had this installed on my N8 for a long time and can clearly see the screensaver just like the picture you have posted. On the 808, however, it is much dimmer to the point where it looks like nothing is there and just a black screen. I can post a comparison photo to show the problem.

I've noticed other 808 users have experienced the same problem (some haven't) but no one really has a solution. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Okay, I'm with you now. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Cheers.

Ray.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Wumpscut1982

[ Edited ]

Here's a picture of my N8 and 808 both with the latest 'Sleeping Screensaver' app activated.
The 808 is way too dim to view compared to the N8. This also happens with the default clock screensaver and call/sms notification.

(Pic attached)

The newest version was supposed to fix 808 compatability but for me it's still not usable.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seki2012

[ Edited ]

Is your screen always that dark? or ONLY with a screen-saver??
My 808 is just as bright as my old N8 (I no longer have it to test)
FYI it was the very first application I added to my 808.
I use the leaves image ..
What version have you got? .. mine is 1.14.1 Qt 4.8.0 QtMobility 1.2.2
Firmware 112.020.0309

Another quick thought .. do you have any battery saving applications loaded?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Wumpscut1982

seki2012, thanks for your reply.

• My screen is only that dark when any screensaver is activated (default clock and sleeping screensaver app).
  • I have no problems with the screen when in use only when activating the screensaver.
  • The only apps I installed was FMobi and Tweeties app and Angry Birds game. I installed the screensaver app after them.
  • My firmware is 112.020.0310.207.01  - I dont know what version the Qt libaries are, I have not installed any either.
  • I do not have any battery saving application installed.

On another forum someone mentioned that it happened to them and it was known as a defective phone. I have contacted Amazon and I should be receiving my replacement phone tomorrow. Hopefully it is a hardware issue that is causing the problem.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seki2012

ok .. does the replacement phone have the same issue?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Wumpscut1982

I've just recieved my replacement 808 and I can confirm the screensaver works properly on the new handset.
(pic attached)

So it was a hardware defect after all. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seki2012

well there you go!
NSS should be the test application!!
Please use plain text.
yapengleong

haizz , i got the same problems. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seki2012

you will need a replacement handset then :smileysad:
almost certainly its faulty.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
tomscho

I have the same problem and really miss the Sleeping Screen which I found so useful and beautiful on my N8.

Oh, well I will have to look at sending it back... :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seki2012

yep as I said NSS should be the Screen Test Application ...
Please use plain text.
DeSadre

I unfortunately have the same problem and had a chat with the Nokia support. They told me that the problem is unknown. Now, Amazon will send a new device. But I guess, it is not sure that the new 808 will work properly. So, is that really an hardware issue? Are there any official statements about that?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
seki2012

[ Edited ]

since it works on the replacement device - presumably with the same OS version you can be fairly confident it IS a hardware issue.
Good Luck!

Moderator's note: mentioning of illegal software removed.

Please use plain text.
RuneGa

I also have this problem with my 808 PureView. Anyone who knows if this assumed hardware defect influences on other functionality as well, or if it's only the screen savers that are affected? I've read about problems with the proximity sensors and screens turning purple, but as far as I understand these problems are not caused by the same hardware defect as the one we're discussing here...?

Please use plain text.
DeSadre

Just an update: Yesterday I've received my new PureView 808 and the screensaver works ! As mentioned before, it must be an hardware issue. I've chatted again with Nokia Care and they will inform the developers about that problem.

Please use plain text.
Sage
smjohns

I have noticed a similar issue on my Nokia 701, especially when I compared my new 701 sleeping screen to my older C7-00. On the 701 the sleeping screen is much duller.

Unlike the above, I don't think this is a fault of my phone and is instead down to the screen technology used. The C7, N8 and 808 all use an AMOLED screen type which only requires power for each lit pixel (black pixels draw little / no power) so the sleeping screen can be displayed at a brighter level without affecting battery performance. The 701, however, has an LCD Transmissive screen with Clearblack technology and as such has to use a very dim backlight setting when in sleep mode to achieve the required battery saving levels.

I am not too bothered by this as when I do use the phone, the screen is much brighter and better in strong daylight than my old C7.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Battlebird

Yesterday I discovered that my 808 is having the same problem. I found a video that shows the problem perfectly :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtbspz78B1Q
My next step is to contact Nokia and hope they acknowledge the problem.
Please use plain text.