Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 808 Pureview, focusing problems

Contributor
muerte

Nokia 808 Pureview, focusing problems

Hi!

I tried to search for similar topics, but couldn't find good enough match in the existing ones. I think I have a problem with my 808 camera. I'm struggling almost every time, when I'm trying to use the autofocus. Especially in the close-up situations. It's not only limited to close-up though, it is sometimes also impossible to get a "green rectangle" in regular Automatic-mode also. Even if I manage to get the green rectangle, which should mean a successful focus, the end result is often very blurred. The only photos I'm able to take with proper focus are those, that are taken in very well lit environment (such as sunshine from behind, etc.). Indoors and cloudy days are very difficult. I know the device settings very well, so it is not a "user malfunction". I'll make few bullets of the situation:

- Successful focusing only under perfect light

- Green rectangle only, if there is a big contrast between the object that I want to focus on, and the background
- Sometimes, even when I'm outdoors, I need to use some extra object to be able to focus, for example, on a tree leaf. White paper behind the leaf, and then the 808 gives me the green rectangle. Not without. And you know, it focuses that extra 1 cm behind the leaf, and the end result is not perfect

- Same thing with other modes than close-up.

- I've had N8 for over two years, and it still beats my 808 hands down, in the focusing and close-ups

Here is a video of me trying to focus on a coffee cup. Settings: PureView 8MP, Close-up, all other settings automatic. The distance to the cup is minimum 15 cm (20-30 cm for most of the trials). Shooted with a fixed-foxus C7, so not the optimal quality, but you'll see what I mean:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ode1ly4y36iu7d0/2012-11-24-618.mp4

So, I would like to receive some opinions, as I don't have another 808 to make any comparisons. Is this normal, or should I take my device to a Nokia Care for some inspection?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
808PureViewUser

Hi,

I could not agree more with this of your experiences, I have the exactly same.

" that are taken in very well lit environment (such as sunshine from behind, etc.). Indoors and cloudy days are very difficult. I know the device settings very well, so it is not a "user malfunction". I'll make few bullets of the situation:"

I also thought first this and the autofocus had something to do with ME, that I was not using the device the right way. The more I have used this device, gone thru all docs and been trying to exercise with it, the more I have come to the conclusion there is something similar to the optics and behaviour with this device, EXACTLY the same way as it is with my another device, the Nokia Lumia 850 - and it's camera.

The experience and results feel to be about the same. This brings me to a thought if there is something strangely odd on how the cameras and the supporting software are built in these devices. 

I really have to admit I do "secretly" use a separate digital camera with the lense size of hmm..."a little bit" more than what is possible in mobile devices. Not have I had one picture that I was not happy with using that camera.Well...those of MY face...I just can't fix them :smileytongue:    Only if I remove it :smileyvery-happy:

Have fun!

Cheers,

N808PVU

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Azriel8400

Me too. Same problem!

I used to think that was my fault but it's not so.

Maybe we need some fix update? 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ekstamC

Have same problem...still the camera take amazing photos normally. Another annoying thing is when I take photo for ex. outside in good weather the colors and everything is so good and clear on the screen before I take the picture and even while the autofocusing is done but just when the picture is taken the picture get litte bit darker and not as colorful...or little bit shaded before as the picture dissapear down to the right corner... Any settings will not help...I use "intense" colors to get some more life into pictures, still I have to correct all photos in the computer using gamma correction and, little bit of sharpening and abit more color...sometimes little more light and ofcoarse rotation...hate when the horizon is not strait...lol..

My old N8 was much more reliable and it also took very sharp pictures on moving objects...like waterdrops in splashing water...maybe a software upgrade for the 808 could make it just as good as the N8?? I believe its the shutterspeed Im talking about?

Please use plain text.
microamper

All Nokia 808 has big problem with autofocus, it sporadically focusing on wrong distance, but window is green and you think it is OK - result is bad foto. And big problems at close distances (20-150cm) I think that NOKIA must develop better focus algoritms. And add manual set of focus points, and control of shatter speed, shatter indication, and more camera flexibility. I hope it will be soon in next 808 firmware releases , otherwise this product stays undeveloped and have no chance to good selling.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Wiskey

I am always doing my close ups by moving the camera away from the object and zooming in mode. I get better results that way by focusing faster and easier. Another thing that helps is focusing manually by touching the screen as the phone tends to stick to that focus point without refocusing after pressing the on-screen shutter button, instead of the physical one. If you need a bit more zoom, you can always use the 5mpx pureview mode. I have attached an example shot in 8mpx, low light condition by zooming in.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ryder78

I think I have a problem with my 808 camera. I'm struggling almost every time, when I'm trying to use the autofocus. Especially in the close-up situations.

In close-up shots, the close-up mode is useful. However, even this mode, the distance from the object should not be less than 150mm. If the distance of the object to the lens of the camera is 200mm or more, there is no problem in getting a sharp image with autofocus. If the distance of the object to the camera is less than 150mm you will get a blurry image. The point where close-up shots will appear blurry is when the distance to objects is at 160mm +/-.

It's not only limited to close-up though, it is sometimes also impossible to get a "green rectangle" in regular Automatic-mode also. Even if I manage to get the green rectangle, which should mean a successful focus, the end result is often very blurred.

Sometimes even with a red rectangle(out of focus image), a sharp image can be obtained. This just shows the erratic autofocus of the 808.

- Green rectangle only, if there is a big contrast between the object that I want to focus on, and the background
- Sometimes, even when I'm outdoors, I need to use some extra object to be able to focus, for example, on a tree leaf. White paper behind the leaf, and then the 808 gives me the green rectangle. Not without. And you know, it focuses that extra 1 cm behind the leaf, and the end result is not perfect

I am not sure if I understand this. If you're not doing any close-up shots ie. object is >200mm from camera, you can focus on any object that you want by touching the object on the touch screen of the 808. Say the object is a leaf or leaves on some branches, or a vehicle, and the background is some buildings. If you want to focus on the leaves, touch the leaves that appear on the touchsreen and the green rectangle will then appear. You will get a sharp image of the leaves(in focus), and the building in the background will appear blurry, out of focus. On the other hand, if you want to focus on the building behind, touch the building on the touchscreen of the phone. You will get a sharp image of the building at the background, and the leaves in front of the building will appear out of focus. 

- I've had N8 for over two years, and it still beats my 808 hands down, in the focusing and close-ups

I haven't really done a lot of close-up shots on the N8 and 808, so I can't really comment on the superiority of the N8 in these situations. If close-up shots are more than 200mm, I think the 808 is doing a pretty fine job in autofocus, even in low light(white balance and exposure are other issues though).

Here is a video of me trying to focus on a coffee cup. Settings: PureView 8MP, Close-up, all other settings automatic. The distance to the cup is minimum 15 cm (20-30 cm for most of the trials).

I haven't watched the video yet but in my experience anything more than 200mm(20cm) the 808 shouldn't have a problem focusing on the objects. I've tried. The problem only happens when the distance of the object is at around 160mm or less to the camera.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kentsin

My 808  have the same problem, and it won't go away now.

If this do to some software glitch or other software I install?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/19410_How_to_use_PureView_zoom_to_pr.php

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.