Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia Belle N8 C Memory disappearing

Sage
another_rob

Nokia Belle N8 C Memory disappearing

This is a bit of a long post, so please read it all in the hope you can offer some real support!

I know this issue has been raised across a number of posts, but none I've seen has managed to give me any help in trying to sort out my issue with the C drive of my phone quickly disappearing.  I've currently got about 20MB free on the disk, but when I tried updating Nokia Maps through Nokia Store, the update used up all free memory on C and failed in update.

I have y-broswer and x-plore installed on my phone, so I should in theory be able to get to all of the cache, downloads and general rubbish that apps keep filling up my C drive with.

However, when I go through all the folders I can see and tot up the amount of memory in use, I seem to be a way off the 256MB that should be available...

C:/resource is by far my biggest fodler, with about 20MB of files in there.  I've been through all locations but cannot find where all the data is!  My directory c:/private appears as completely empty when I try looking at it, which seems to be where most people are directed to clean their memory.

One thing I have been doing is auto-backup of my phone to the external memory card which runs overnight - I've read elsewhere that people have reported this to have been incrementally eating away at C drive, but I can't find any temp files that would explain this.

It is also often said that Social image cache (and other apps caches) use up plenty of C drive an so these should be cleared out.  Can anyone point to specific directory locations where this can be found? Again, after much searching there seems to be very little that I can find to delete.

It's getting to the point where I'll have to do a soft or hard reset and start again and just hope for the best...but if anyone can post how to clean up C drive it'd be very much appreciated.  Most people just seem to say 'clean social cache' and the likes, but this isn't very helpful if we don't know where to look!

Thanks in advance!

Sage
another_rob

Re: Nokia Belle N8 C Memory disappearing

...and yes, I've cleared out my Opera and Nokia Browser caches (less than 1MB so makes very little difference)

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Puigchild

[ Edited ]

Hi another_rob,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. You wouldn't happen to have lots of images on your device?

The operating system automatically creates a hidden thumbnail file in private/ folder and in some cases this will cause the memory to fill up to the brim. As this file is automatically recreated if removed, the simple solution is to move some of the images off the device, for example with Nokia Suite

See here to find out how to access your private folder. Also, check this thread in case you find it useful. 

Let us know if this helps,

Puigchild

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Advisor
Martyn13

I had similar problem. After my holidays I wanted to update my phone, but it is necessary to have at least 45 MB of free space on drive C. I wanted to clear up memory very quick (I knew that photos need also some space on drive C, not only in mass memory), so I copied photos to my PC using "My computer" manager (not Nokia Suite) and delete them from mass memory. Unfortunately those thumbnails are stiil somewhere in C (there is no much available space) and Nokia Suite has problem with starting, because it cannot do proper memory test. I cannot do new copy of data and I cannot actualize my software. Is it possible to clear those thumbnails in any way?

Professor
Ngwangwa

Hi all,

Nokia must do something about the low phone memory on the Nokia N8-00. Why did they remove the option of storing messages on the mass memory and why are emails stored on the phone memory instead of mass memory? Temporary files stored on C: Private should be deleted by the phone itself instead of using means that will be harmful to your phone and void your warranty i.e Hacking. Nokia do something about this shrinking phone memory on the Nokia N8-00 yet all the applications are installed on mass memory other than the applications that are part of the Nokia Belle OS. I hope that this will be rectified by the next software update that Nokia will provide for the Nokia N8-00. Concerning Maps Suite 2.0 I wished that Nokia could completely remove the previous version of maps to free phone memory and install the latest version that will be replaced the free memory lost during installation phase instead of eating 20 MB more from the phone memory or they make a fix to Maps Suite 2.0 that will install completely on mass memory. Concerning Microsft Apps I wished that Nokia could fully make it install on mass memory rather than installing parts of it on phone memory and mass memory that stills ends up eating 20-15 MB more from the phone memory.

Many Nokia N8-00 users who are running Nokia Belle have not updated or are rather afraid to update to Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 and Microsoft Apps because of the fear that their phone memory will decrease rapidly causing the device to become unresponsive or slow affecting the overall performance of the device. I wish that Nokia will overclock the CPU speed of the Nokia N8-00 to make the device a bit faster than it is.

Ngwangwa - Six Million Ways To Die Choose One
Professor
Dan555

You are reduced to hacking your phone with the Norton hack, enabling Install and Open4All with RomPatcher+, installing MobileCleaner to E then running it. It will scan C: and E: then ask you a question in Russian which means 'scan F?' and you can choose to accept or cancel. After that you you can check how much memory was freed with the file manager.

That recovered 20Mb from C, bringing it up to 65Mb, but it's still far from 100Mb free that I had after first installing Belle.

The mods may delete this if they want, but that doesn't mean that the phone is unable to garbage collect properly and it's the only viable solution apart from a reset.

pyarwood

Your reply to having no memory on C: is delete all your pictures is that not the POINT of having a 12 mega pixel Camera so you can TAKE AND STORE pictures
how can nokia justify these memory mistakes that have been going on since the RUBBISH N97 I thought they would of corrected their mistakes but they seem to just make more and more of the same ones. No wonder they have fallen to the bottom of the smart phone markets their smart phone are not smart they are completely stupid
Professor
Dan555

Store them on E: or, even better, F:?

The camera program (as should Messaging and E-mail) should default to F: if it's available and got free memory, E: if not, and refuse to store to C: . That would go a long way to fixing complaints. But those of us who know and love (?) Nokia know that it'll take a year or two to fix that bug, that's if they're still around by then.
Advisor
mydarkglobe

I gave some tips about N8 use of C disk space in the below topic

Symbyan Belle: Unexpected foolish use of C: disk space

Regards

InvalidAlias123

If you are facing issues where the space in "C:" is continuously getting smaller, the following may help.

On my phone, I watched the phone run out of space in C: over time and had to hard reset. After setting up the phone from scatch, it had 80MB free but over the following days/weeks, I helplessly watched as the disk space dwindled again (40MB gradually "disappeared").

After trawling through many blogs like this one, I discovered a builtin Nokia app called "Search" that launches in the background when the phone starts and continuously builds bigger and bigger index files - this was the disappearing disk space.

To turn off the app, go to the "Search" app and open its settings and deselect both the "launch on phone startup" as well as "allow network search" options. This will stop the problem from happening further.

Unfortunately, to regain the disk space, you will need to either

1) hard reset your phone and reinstall from scratch (and don't forget to turn off the search options again)

2) lookup the hacks required (at your own risk) to access c:\private and locate and remove files with a ".ln" suffix. On my phone, these were what took the missing 40MB.

Sage
peterh338

[ Edited ]

The search app no longer has the ""launch on phone startup" option (Belle FP2, 808).

Also hacking FP2 is not so simple. The AV hack no longer works. There are other hacks; I've tried 2 of them without success. The cleanest thing is to flash the phone with custom firmware, which obviously gives you total access thereafter.

This is a rubbish design feature by Nokia, especially hard coding the email app to use c: only.

I used to have 2 x hacked 700 phones and the low c: issue I had on those was caused by a bug in the email app which caused orphaned files on c: (under 1000484b - again not accessible on non-hacked phones). The 700 suffered very badly from low c: space because it had much less to start with.

I now have the 808 which seems to hover around 250MB free c: space which is OK.

To me it looks like Nokia may have quietly rolled out some fixes for the indexing, because they have removed the startup option from its Settings.