Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia C5 - 00 Made in Korea went dead! Nokia loses...

Contributor
jaggu_nothing

Nokia C5 - 00 Made in Korea went dead! Nokia loses one more customer!

Found out that Nokia C5 i bought and gifted my wife last Nov, Nov 1 2010 to be precise suddenly went dead on Saturday. Took the phone to Nokia care here in Koramangala, Bangalore, India. A giggling rep takes down the complaint, looks for minutest scratch, any suspected fall, fluid and what not and then enters into the system and then asks me to wait. I ask her why? They will diagnose and let me know then and there. Wok i say. After a wait of 10 min i am summoned back and i see a motherboard and camera lens in front off me. 

She says its damaged and will have to replace it and expected date of delivery 27th. I say fine and was about to leave. She says hold on, it will be 600 bucks. I was like :smileysurprised:for what? Its under warranty right??? 

Sir warranty does not cover water damage. I was stumped :smileymad: I asked her to show me some evidence of the same. She was wondering what to reply and then asks me to wait again.

I saw that the lady has moved the mother board to next desk, where a guy is sitting. She herself moved to dispatch section and mumbled something to the guy there. Dispatch guys is not very happy and then mutters something to her and she goes back to her desk.

In between all this i had even called my wife to confirm that i was not the stupid person. She confirmed that she has not even taken the phone out of the bag for last few days since she was terribly busy at work and her office does not leak when last checked. She is using the car so no chance of rain also.

Now i get the summons from the other desk where the mother board is. He repeats the same, i ask the same question. Proof of water damage? He shows me one corner of the clean mother board, a small smudge. Its not even water mark, neither is it corrosion, more like silicone grease a 2mm square patch. I told him in clear terms sorry boss i aint buying it looks more like hand grease and i took it in my hand and i could easily make out it was definitely NOT water. Ok!! i have some idea what happen when water falls on a circuit board!

This guy then says, even a drop of water is good for mother board to crack! In my mind i wanted to get up, give him a slap and ask him to go back to whatever education institution he came out from. But then real world i was polite and told him. I really dont buy it, pointed to my iPhone and said look at this device, see there is a indicator which turns to red even if one drop of water goes in and does not crack the mother board!

Told him its not about the 600 bucks, i will not mind going out and buying a new phone if need be, but tell me the truth. You say phone was dropped, i might agree coz i really dont have evidence for or against that. But water damage!! Apart from moisture in the air, no water has gone near that phone. Not even a smudge mark anywhere open, including battery, battery compartment or the sim. 

Asked them to put it back and give it in writing that its water damage. Went back after 30 mts and collected the dead phone and walked away from Nokia with disgust!

My wife was even more unhappy. She just said "no more Nokia for me, and you dont even contest that this time". 

I for one strongly suspect that C5 has an issue. Infact that was my first question to spice guy and nokia gal. Anyone else with similar issue??

Google just scared me, but then again its googled info.

Plan of action i will try to see if i can flash and revive it, ie if its software. If not will take it to local cell phone shop guy and get an opinion. I dont mind paying him 600 or even 1000 for that matter, instead of these cheating clowns at Nokia!!

Add -1 customer, no make it -5 atleast. That much influence i have.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Re: Nokia C5 - 00 Made in Korea went dead! Nokia loses one more customer!

600 BUCKS thats certainly wrong for sure these retail at an average of 150 euros
you should contact nokia directly here and report what you have just posted

http://europe.nokia.com/support/contact-us

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaggu_nothing

Thank you. I have already sent them the details and got an acknowledgment, that they would respond within 24 hours. Hope this works out.

But two doubts i have. Are the C5 00 model's trouble in the first place? Sudden unknown death?

Is there a sure shot way to figure out water damage. I know iPhone has strips that change color. Why cant Nokia add something like that so that there are no doubts. In this case am pretty sure the phone never went anything liquid in that week before.

Just got a tear down video, too tempted to do it myself. But i will wait for couple of days before i do it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

there is indicators inside the phone that determines water damage
dont attempt anything yourself it will void warranty and you will end up nowhere in the end.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaggu_nothing

ahh that means they knew it was not water damage. That is why they were not showing me that bit! Thanks mate.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Your welcome.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaggu_nothing

So much for Nokia Care!

Hello Jayakrishnan,

Thank you for contacting Nokia Careline.

We understand the inconvenience caused due to difficulties you are facing with Nokia device and want to get your device under warranty.

We value the importance of your concern and we are here to assist you.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused. You may kindly note that all Nokia phones come with a 12 month warranty from the original date of purchase. Our warranty guidelines state that any repairs or servicing would be covered under warranty provided Nokia technicians at the Nokia Care Centre do not find any physical damage, liquid damage(s) or tampering with the phone. In such instances, the warranty on your handset is void.

Should the technician find the phone to be repairable, a repair quotation would be provided. If the customer chooses to have the phone repaired, the customer would need to bear the cost of the service charge as well as the repair charges of the phone. In certain instances, the phone may be irreparable and the customer would be advised of this. 

Unfortunately, once the phone has been assessed to contain any liquid ingression by the Nokia Care Centre, we would not be able to guarantee the issue will not reoccur as the phone would be assessed as being “beyond economical repair”.

Further, your handset has been assessed to be liquid damaged and irreparable after a comprehensive and thorough assessment 
made by the technicians at the Nokia Care Centre. Hence, we stand by the assessment made by the Nokia Care Centre. 
We hope this clarifies and regret the inconvenience caused.

Your case ID is x-xxxxx

For further enquiries, please feel free to email us or contact our Technical Support Executives at 30303838 between the hours of 9:00am and 9:00pm, seven days a week. For online support, visit "Have a question? Ask Nokia" atwww.nokia.co.in/asknokia. You may also find answers to your queries at www.nokia.co.in/support. We reassure you of our continuous support. 

Thank you for choosing Nokia.

Regards,

Maharishi Sharma

Nokia Careline 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Ask the technician to show you those indicators in your open phone. If he refuses, complain to your local government office that handles these kinds of issues. Please be aware that Nokia Care Centers are only actually just local companies who paid for the "Nokia" label franchise. If they are found guilty of fraud, they will be liable to pay you/replace your phone and will be stripped of their Nokia franchise.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaggu_nothing

I think i will have to do that :squint:. But in India such process take a very long time to resolve. Anyway i was referred to another center by the shop from where i purchases the phone with contact name and numbers. Will try my luck there and then decide what to do.

Meanwhile i had posted another query to clarify about the water indicator and i got this reply~!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaggu_nothing

Hello Jayakrishnan,
Thank you for contacting Nokia Careline.
We understand the inconvenience caused due to difficulties you are facing with Nokia device and want to get your device under warranty.
We value the importance of the information that you are seeking and we are here to assist you.
We would like to inform you that as we understand that your handset has been assessed to be liquid damaged, please note that as per Nokia Warranty Guidelines, liquid damage is not covered under warranty and it may be repaired outside warranty with repair charges. The phone would be repaired under warranty provided no physical or liquid damage is found within the 12 months from date of purchase. In the event the phone is assessed as such, the warranty is void. 
We standby the assessment made by our Nokia Care Centre technicians. However, in case you are not satisified with the service assessment, we request you to visit an alternate Nokia Care Centre. Our technicians would assist you in best possible manner. 
Your Case ID is xxxxxxxx
Further enquiries, please email us or feel free to contact our Technical Support Executives at 30303838 between the hours of 9:00am and 9:00pm, seven days a week. For online support, visit "Have a question? Ask Nokia www.nokia.co.in/asknokia. You may also find answers to your queries at www.nokia.co.in/support. We reassure you of our continuous support. 
Thank you for choosing Nokia.
Regards,
Kapil Mathur
Nokia Careline
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Ask the care center for an official report which they are supposed to give you anyway.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jaggu_nothing

I did manage to get that :squint:. Will update this thread once i take the handset to the other care center :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sanketh

Well even i've had my share of problems with the C5. The ones made in Oct/Nov 2010 seem to have lots of problems. Here's my post:

/t5/Cseries/C5-00-build-quality-and-hardware-problems/m-p/801233

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
himvar

same problem with me. gifted nokia c5 to my sis. yesterday it went dead(after 6 mnths of purchase). Nokia sucks.

Please use plain text.