Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia C5-03 Low memory problems ( Other Files ...

Registered Member
lauramihaela

Nokia C5-03 Low memory problems ( Other Files )

Please help. I have a nokia C5-03 the handset is showing phone memory is full. I have checked and uninstalled all unecessay applications. But problem is still there. when i check the phone memory it indicates that i have other files of 42mb installed and using phone memory. however i am unable to check what other files are installed or classfied as other files. Can you please assist me so i can know what these other files consist of or where they are located.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stofberghans

Re: Nokia C5-03 Low memory problems ( Other Files )

Hi same by me deleted a lot but was still telling me memory full. I solved the problem by switching the phone of and turning it on again have your access nr ready.  Gould work by you as well.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
leonard1928

try to reset the phone to factory settings..just back-up tha necessary files that you need then restore it later..and avoid installing applications in phone memory instead install it in mmc..
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

[ Edited ]

Hey Lauramihaela, Welcome to the Nokia Discussion forums!

Have you tried to clear memory by erasing your cache memory? this should also free up some extra memory.

You can do this by going to the Web application and select Options > Clear privacy data > Cache.

The 'Other Files' directory contains files such as map information and general files for the Operating system and they cannot be deleted.

Ovi Maps has to do a lot of work very quickly so it needs to be installed on C, or it would be too slow. It is not possible for Maps to work properly if installed on other drives. 

The only solution to this problem is to clear space on C by deleting or moving applications. It is also helpful to configure other applications to use drives other than C for their storage.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anymore queries and if this helps to answer your issue!

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
paul76

[ Edited ]

I am experiencing similar problems for the third time since I bought my Nokia C5-03. I hardly have any extra applications installed on de C-drive (Phone memory). Today I deleted my mailbox from Nokia e-mail and I cleared the cache. Now I am as lucky as to have 16,8 MB free Phone memory!

In my opinion, Nokia has designed a phone with too little memory. I thought to overcome this by installing a 16 GB memory card. But many apps have to be installed in the Phone memory as are for instance the cache and the "Nokia emails", which is why many functions of the phone become pretty much useless.

1. I can't use Nokia email because my emails clog the Phone memory. There's no real alternative for me because the email client in the message service (who can save email to the memorycard) only synchronizes the headers. If you want to read a new mail you have to wait an annoyingly long time for it to appear on the screen. I use Mail for Exchange (with gmail) now, but I experienced synchronization problems with MfE before, so I hope it will work now. This works within the message service as well, so message go to the memorycard.

2. Last weekend I used my phone for navigation. Example: On a 150 km long trip, my phone showed the message "Memory full, press OK" at least 30 times. In some occasions it appeared 3 times within 10 seconds! I wonder whether the police would have called this "hands free". My question to Nokia: why do I have to press OK while driving??? (By the way, the navigation was the only application running).

My question: What can I do to free up more Phone memory (C-drive)?

A. There is no data that I can delete on C: because I keep everything on the memorycard

B. Cache is empty already

Only solution I see to free up more than 16,8 MB is:

C. Delete applications from Phone memory.

I check all the apps that are installed on the Phone memory and made a list of some apps that can maybe be removed. I think, except for Whatsapp, they're all apps that belong to the phone software.

1. Whatsapp (4096 kB, can only be installed on C:. I'd like to keep it but is that wise?)

2. Chat & Chat client (3500 kB, I don't use Nokia chat, can this be deleted?)

3. Nokia email (1024 kB, do I still need it now I use Mail for Exchange?)

4. Nokia store (1013 kB: Nokia: shame on you that I have to consider deleting this one from a Nokia phone)

5. Qt & QtMobility (8192 kB: not sure what this is. Is it necessary for the operating system?)

I'd like to know which apps besides Whatsapp can safely be deleted and of course I am open for other solutions.

Regards,

Paul

PS On the Nokia-website, the specs of the C5-03 say that it has 128 MB SDRAM. Is this what is usually called the 'Phone memory'? Then, how come that my phone 'says' it has only 75 MB of Phone Memory when I connect it to my computer via USB?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

The 75 MB you mention is probably total Phone Memory.  The relevant figure from Nokia's site is "Maximum User Storage: 40 MB".  Yes, your phone probably should have come with more built-in storage.  The 128 MB is the phone's RAM, like the memory you put in a computer, while the Phone Memory (ROM) is like the hard drive.

I have never used a 5th Edition phone, so you may need to hunt around for the settings I mention.  I suspect they all exist.

1) Are you sure there is no map data on the phone?  Using Nokia's File Manager, there should be a Cities folder on the memory card, but not on the phone.  What is your version of Maps?  Are you using the latest firmware?  The "memory full" errors do suggest map data saving to the phone.  In Maps, I have a toggle in Options -> Settings -> Maps -> Memory To Be Used.

2) Are you sure no old email or messages are on the phone?  You are using the memory card now, but it's possible that old messages remain.  I use a switch in Messaging to toggle back and forth: Options -> Settings -> Other -> Memory in Use.  Change it back to Phone Memory and look for any old email or SMS messages.

3) You can manually delete the browser cache using 3rd party software like Y-Browser (http://www.drjukka.com/YBrowser.html , scroll down to the bottom).  I don't know if this will gain you anything, but if you find a folder C:\System\Cache with lots of numbered folders inside (0, 1, 2, 3, etc.) you can safely delete the entire Cache folder and the browser will remake it when needed.  If you don't find it, then best to leave this alone for now, as you don't want to delete the wrong thing.

4) I assume you deleted any photos from Phone Memory (an Images directory) and other obvious files long ago?

5) Some users have suggested that Bluetooth file transfers can get cached on C:.  I don't know the details, but if you've ever done this, we can delve in deeper.

6) You can certainly delete Nokia Chat if you don't use it.  I would keep the other programs for now.

According to Nokia there is just the 40 MB of user storage, and I would be surprised if you could reclaim more than 30 MB total.  The phone does need space for Contacts, Calendar, cache, and other overhead.  If my suggestions above don't help much, I can try again. :smileywink:  Good luck!

Please use plain text.
hafsah9789

Hey!
I just got a Nokia C5-03.
I downloaded some applications from Ovi and saved 'em in my memory card, but I'm unable to find the location of the saved application. Please help. Thanks in advance! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
paul76

Hi hafsah,

Easiest way is to install apps from the OviStore app on your phone. The apps will install automatically. You will find them in the menu under "apps" and submenu "installed apps". At least, that's how it works for me.

If you want to look up the saved installation packages on the memorycard you can use the File Manager, which you will find in menu-apps-office.

Good luck,

Paul

PS1 I have a C5-03 that speaks Dutch and I'm not sure if all the menu names are 100% correct.

PS2 If I were you, I would follow alle procedures mentioned in this topic to keep as much phone memory free as possible. I hope you won't get all the problems that I had with low phone memory!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
paul76

Hi Thetao,

I typed a more extensive reaction before, but it got lost when I pressed "post". Therefore I just respond to the main points that you mentioned (and some I found out myself).

Strange: I can't find the 40 MB Maximum User Storage on the Nokia website anymore (nor the 75 MB). But it sounds very familiar to me. It looks to me as if they removed this from the phone specs, also of other Smartphones by the way.

Yesterday, I deleted some small apps that I don't use (anymore) such as InternetRadio and I also removed Nokia email. Although the apps were below 2 MB together, this freed up over 7 MB of Phone memory (24 MB free now)! I think there were still some old emails stored in C: which I couldn't delete any other way. This helped me a great deal already but I tried your suggestions as well.

1. No map data or CITIES folder on C: 2. Switched messages memory to phone (and phone to offline mode) and I did indeed find a forgotten email account with 30 email messages. Not much but I had 24,7 MB free after that. Of course, I put messages memory back to the memorycard. 3. Used the free edition of Y-Browser to manually delete the cache folder. Not much data in that, but 25,1 MB free after that. Nice tool, with which you can reach folders that normally stay hidden! Used YBrowser to search all C: for files over 300 kB. Only 2 files: boot_space.txt in C:\ (500 kB, contains only the X repeatedly as far as I see, but is probably essential for the operating system) and C:\resource\python25\pyton25.zip (1 MB). It looks like an installation package, but I'm not sure if I can delete it. By the way: YBrowser hasn't made a shortcut in one of the menus. Only way that I found to start it was to look for it using the Phone's search function. Is there a way to make this shortcut myself?

4. Yes I did. No Images folder on C: anymore, nor other big files (see point 3)

5. I use Bluetooth for file transfer sometimes, mainly for installation files (such as YBrowser.sis, but I did this one via USB-cable). However, no big files are left on C: so I don't think I have this problem.

6. I tried to delete Nokia Chat yesterday as well (with the other apps), but it won't be uninstalled the normal way as it says "Uninstall cancelled" (not sure about the exact translation since my phone 'speaks' Dutch) :smileywink: Do you know if there's another way to get rid of this 3 MB app that I don't use at all?

I think I may have found an explanation and a solution for the memory problem while navigating. You mentioned the "memory in use" in the map settings. Above that option there's a slide bar for the % of memory that the navigation can use. Standard is 70%. I always thought this was about storage memory on (in my case) the memorycard. Another topic mentioned that this the working memory (so the RAM) that the navigation may use. Setting it to 70% means there's only 30% left for other apps that run in the background. The other topic states that this is nog enough so the slider should be set to for instance 30% for navigation leaving 70% free for "the phone". From behind my computer, navigation seems much more stable. I'll try this setting in my car soon and let you know how it works.

Thanks a lot for thinking along with me so far! There's already 25,1 MB of space, which is great since it was only 7 MB last Sunday. And navigation looks more stable. I'd appreciate if you have some more answers to my latest questions, but if not I think my phone will work a lot better already!

Regards, Paul

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
rnenis

No i tried this also, but still showing memory low.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

@paul76:

The 40 MB limit is still there.  See http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/C5-03/ , in the Memory Functions section.

500K of X's in boot_space.txt sounds silly, but it's likely a method the OS uses to reserve space on the drive in case of emergency.  I'd be tempted to delete it anyway...but you probably shouldn't.  Python is a scripting language that came from Unix, and I hadn't thought it came preinstalled with any Nokia phone...but after a quick web search, I'm apparently wrong.  Yes, leave it.

I recall that Y-Browser installs differently than most other programs.  Again, I'm not familiar with 5th edition, but look for a "DrJukka" folder in the main Menu view.  Y-Browser should be inside, and from there you can put it somewhere more convenient.

I have never used Nokia Chat either, but if none of these work

1) disabling any home screen plugin/widget for Chat

2) switching the phone to offline mode and rebooting

3) pressing and holding the red End key to stop all data connections and then quickly try the uninstall again

then I'm stumped, too.

Happy I could be helpful, but it seems like you did most of the work! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
khn123

hello, everytime i browse the ovi store my phone memory will reduce, what happened? My Netqin mobile guard also cant detect any file or cache to delete after browse the store.Please help ,thanks.
Please use plain text.
feranmolina

Hi!

The Memory problem starts when I use my mobile navigation system. I Installed The program NetQuin and that helps a little at first, but soon after using the system I put back the legend of memory. I Reset My phone, removed some programs that may affect but did not solve the problem. I can do about it? My Phone is a C5-03, my carrier is Telcel MX and my software is version 11.1.024.327.01, type RM-719

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tm123

hi of the 75mb installed i have 53 mb of other files and 17 mb sis applications when i do a memory scan.  how can i reduce these as 15 mb isn't enough to do everything else. thanks

Please use plain text.
jonny1c5

i bought a nokia c5-06 s60 5th edition over a month ago , all was fine till yesterday's morning , i had 8.5MB of free space in c , den i downloaded netqin & it removed junk upto 32.6MB , then yesterday , my phone's c came down to 14.5MB , then after i deleted mig33 & few other things , it came down to 1.5MB , then now , it's at 192kb & it happened overnight when it wasn't even being used , now i can't even do anything & even netqin can't detect anything , i scanned & found no virus , my 4GB memory card's almost empty , only few pics & vids & songs , when i scan , it shows over 2882 files in C drive , i can't even open my built in browser in my nokia coz of low memory , also I'm facing all the problems eveyone stated above , i don't have any bt msg or anything & i deleted all downloaded apps cache & deleted most of the apps i downloaded , i didn't even setup my mails yet so email wasn't even in use , phone's upgraded to the latest firmware , out of 75.55MB , I only have 195KB of free space in C & i scanned like 12 times & deleted all logs , there's nothing in c left to delete , plz help
Please use plain text.
mynameisbalu

netquin is a problem , if u intalled netquin mobile sequirity, it download virus signatures automatically and uses phone memory, if u remove netquin u will find the free space, better to use mobile guard of netquin

Please use plain text.
elavarasan00003

just type *#7370#
On your keypad and just format your phone
Please use plain text.
rich93

hey ppl, i've been using my c5-03 for a few weeks now. My phone runs on d latest version of software v 22 , everytime i use nokia store it says memory full delete some apps although i hav 49 mb of free space in phone memory. I've installed all my apps on memory card. Please help!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
files_deleted

hi
I have stuck to a very serious problem
For freeing phone memory i deleted all unnesesory appx bt stil only 4 mb free so i started deleting files from ofice>phone
Which were system files written in pages
Now i am unable to play musik ,use camera ,multitasking etc music shows
General system error
While camera does nt open and i cannot even close programes by multitasking menu button
Please help me
Please use plain text.
smsimonk

I have the similar problem since I purchased the phone in May 2011. I cleaned up the data and now 27.4 MB free space is there but still same low memory error, while using Navigation. I thing this model is a failure by its system design. Nokia should do something about this. It is awkward to see this error in mid-level phone.
Please use plain text.