Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia C7 Backup, Factory Reset and then Restore?

Sage
smjohns

Nokia C7 Backup, Factory Reset and then Restore?

Hi,

I am having a few problems with my phone and am thinking of doing a Factory reset and backup restore. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so could you answer any of the following.

1) The factory reset has two options - Factory Reset and Factory Reset with Data. What is the difference between the two?

Factory Reset = What settings are reset? I assume all installed applications / data is maintained?

Factory Reset and Data = I assume this is similar to the other reset but it also removes all custom data from the two internal memory areas (phone and mass memory)? Am I right in thinking that anything on the micro SD card is kept?

2) Phone Back up & Restore? Does anyone know what data/settings are backed up and can be restored? As an example, if I performed a full backup of my phone (including music and ringtones) and then did a full factory reset including data, would the restore put my phone back in exactly the same postition I was in when the phone was backed up and before the factory reset? Does this include homescreen and menu format changes? On my 6700 the restore would only restore apps / settings but not menu structure and I had to reinstall apps installed on my external memory stick (such as Opera). 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Viktor01

Re: Nokia C7 Backup, Factory Reset and then Restore?

The two options under Settings-> Phone-> Phone management-> Factory settings: are "Restore" and "Delete data and restore".
If you are having minor problems only, please do "restore". This is like soft reset of old S60: what it does is re-initialise ALL SYSTEM FILES ONLY. This solves most trivial problem and does not do anything to user installed apps, but you lose your homescreen modifications. The other option does a HARD FORMAT and you loose all data. On the C7, it even FORMATS the builtin E: drive and you get the phone in the same state a when you had bought it. Restore (first option ) will usually put all settings as before (you need to do a backup first for which you need a miniSD card to be installed). I have done this done time back (sms not causing ring/vibration problem) and i do not remember whether home screen settings got restored. For the second option, it is always advisable to delete all apps BEFORE backup and re-install everything all over again. Otherwise you might neither be able to use old apps nor uninstal them. For this you should have the .sis/.sisx files.
Please use plain text.
Sage
smjohns

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the update. So I am right in thinking that a delete data and restore only formats the phone internal memory (C: ) and mass memory (E: ) but leaves all files on the microSD?

Also do you know if the restore removes all created APN's. This is what I am hoping to achieve as there is a rogue APN that I am trying to delete.

Please use plain text.
j1e2p3h4i5n6

c7 back up factory

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bmwahsan

Hey Viktor01 I have some prob with my phone nokia C7 I want to know that if I factory reset with data my mobile the apps I installed deleted but the apps installed from nokia such as F-Secure,climate mission game,youtube widgets i got from nokia also deleted or not please reply

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

As far as my knowledge goes, a delete data and restore removes all data from your phone and mass memory including preinstalled apps.
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Wiskey

Had some problems too and after backing up I did a factory reset. I have chose to back up everything (apps, settings, photos, etc) and after the rest, I have restored everything and some of the apps don't work anymore, they don't open :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

Nokia store shows you which apps you've installed in the past and allows you to download anything which you've already paid for in the past. I tried factory resetting my phone recently and the backup and restore was a joke. If I had to do it again I'd only back up my contacts. I can't rely on a phone that doesn't backup and restore perfectly, because hidden problems can remain.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Evil_king

Hi,

my friend have a E6 and he restored his phone using *#7370# method but his phones mass memory also got formated can any1 suggest me the recovery software to recover the data he forgot to took backup

thank u 

Please use plain text.
renjith_varkala

After "delete data and restore" I am not able to add a home screen wallpaper or contact picture from the gallary, and  I cant download ovi store. please help me.

Please use plain text.