Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia C7 WiFi Problems!!

umit

Nokia C7 WiFi Problems!!

Hi!

I have recently brought a new C7-00.

It detects the wireless LAN but whenever you ask it to connect it asks for code.

After you put the code it shows connecting and then says WLAN not found.

My Iphone and Laptop are getting connected with the same configurations and the same secutrity code but the C7 is not connecting.

Please help as i have found the phone very exciting but unable to do anything till it does not get connected to the internet.

Thanks for the same!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cemalceyhun

Re: Nokia C7 WiFi Problems!!

I have the same problem as you.

My new C7 cannot connect to wlan .

ı  tried so many times, asked for the WLAN security code after that it says connected to wlan. but ı still can not open the pages.

ı can easiliy connect to internet with my iphone 4 or laptop. so ı guess there is  no  problem wiht my  wlan.

can anybody help please.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Are you using wlan scanning? Instead of that try adding the access point from Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Destinations>Add new Access Point

Please use plain text.
Advisor
duac7

Hi,

I have same problem with my C7-00. I have tried to add new access point with the required setting but it still does not work. I am using a belkin wireless router which is conneted to a DSL modem separately. My laptop connects to the network fine.

I would appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I am actually connected to a belkin now. Are you using wpa or wep encryption? I find with wep you may need to check the WEP key settings, especially WEP encryption and WEP key format. You will find this by selecting the access point then WLAN security settings.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
duac7

Hi,

I have tried to connect to the wifi with all following settings:

1) without security,

2) with WEP

3) with WPA

My laptop running windows 7 connects to the network with all the settings but my c7 cannot connect. I always generates the error "WLAN not found".

I have also tried with various IPv4 settings in settings/ connectivity/ settings/ destinations/ access points with same result.

I guess it is something to do with belkin not directly acting as DSL modem. Nevertheless my laptop connects fine.

Thanks for any help to resolve this issue.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Maybe you could try setting up the access point manually. To do so, just goto Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Destinations>Add new access point>No>followed by the settings for your access point.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
duac7

cjlim wrote:

Maybe you could try setting up the access point manually. To do so, just goto Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Destinations>Add new access point>No>followed by the settings for your access point.

I have tried that but it does not work.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Can you describe in detail what you get when you Add access point from Connectivity>Settings>Destinations? It should start searching for access points. Does it even find your wlan then? Did you also set up the Advanced settings manually?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
duac7

[ Edited ]

Yes it finds the wlan and also asks for the key if I use the automatic setup in settings menu. I have also set the parameters manually in the advanced settings (both assigned IP and DNS or using DHCP) and it does not give any error during setup. But when I try to connect to the wlan it terminates with the error "Conn. failed wlan not found" though it shows the wlan name in the detected wlan list.

Here are the steps:

settings>connectivity>settings>destinations>access point (add new ac. pt.)

automatically check for available access points? > yes

available access points> WLAN 1 network avail, Packet data available

select WLAN>belkin

asks for pre-shared key for WLAN> enter key

select destinations> Internet

Result: adds a new access point with the wlan name detected in the internet access point list.

The settings for this access point can be edited. In the advanced settings:

IPv4 settings > Phone IP addess and DNS addresses are automatic

IPv6 settings> DNS automatic

Proxy server address> none

Proxy port number > 0

Please use plain text.
Sage

duac7 wrote:

Hi,

I have tried to connect to the wifi with all following settings:

1) without security,

2) with WEP

3) with WPA

My laptop running windows 7 connects to the network with all the settings but my c7 cannot connect. I always generates the error "WLAN not found".

I have also tried with various IPv4 settings in settings/ connectivity/ settings/ destinations/ access points with same result.

I guess it is something to do with belkin not directly acting as DSL modem. Nevertheless my laptop connects fine.

Thanks for any help to resolve this issue.

Also check from your WLAN router settings that MAC address filtering (access list) feature is not enabled. If you prefer to have MAC address filtering enabled then make sure that you have added your phone's WLAN MAC address in to the list of allowed WLAN clients.

Dial code *#62209526# on the phone to see it's WLAN MAC address.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
duac7

MAC filtering is off.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ellm

I seem to be having the same problems as everyone here.  I keep getting "Invalid Server Name"......when trying to browse the net.

I've done everyting except set the WLAN mac code for my phone.  I have no idea where this is set, please can someone help me out.....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aplugge

i had the same problem, but managed to solve it.

first I created an internet accesspoint as described above.

in the WLAN securitysettings of that accesspoint the authenticationtype was wrong.

Default was Open, i changed it to Shared, matching the settings of my modem/router and it worked fine after that.

path: connectivity -> settings -> destinations -> internet -> <accesspointname> -> WLAN-securitysettings

Please use plain text.
Contributor
djnikk

[ Edited ]

I have tried every solution you described here, and went to conclusion that the problem is in the Symbian^3 dhcp client.

I have created access point, tried with password, or without. Either way my device is connecting to the network. But I got "invalid server name" error, when trying to use that connection with programs (browser, ovi maps, weather applet and so on). I set up manually DNS, but it was the same. The only way to get Internet through WLAN is to set manually IP adress, MAsk, Gateway and DNS servers. So this is why I think it's a dhcp client problem.

I work as sysadmin in ISP, so I usually know my Ip address range, mask, gateway and dns servers, but If I go to Internet coffe or find a wireless hotspot somewhere, I would not be able to access internet, because I don't have any chance to know the network settings.

My firmware version looks the latest:

Release: PR1.01
Software Version: 012.004
Software Version Date: 2010-09-29

Custom Version: 012.004.273.01
Custom Version Date: 2010-11-16

Type: RM-675

Is there any solution for this issue from Nokia ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

It's advised to clean out your browser privacy data on a regular basis to avoid DNS server issues. If the Symbian^3 dhcp client was the problem, everybody with C7's, N8's, etc... would have this issue.

‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Contributor
djnikk

Sorry but, it's a brand new phone, bought from GSM Operator, it has never been online, and I have the problem since the beggining. And yes, I google the problem, and many people around the world are having the same issue.

I don't see a accurate answer to all the people asking the same?

Google "Nokia C7 Invalid server name" or "Nokia C7 Wi-Fi problem", and you'll see what I'm talking about.

It's not a DNS cache problem, because I had the problem before and after Installing Opera, and Opera has also an option to choose which connection to use. And again, it's not working, until I set IPs manually.

I'll be glad if someone who really understands the issue comes up with a better answer.

Is there any kind of CLI app for symbian so I can ping my Gateway, and see if there is connection or not?

I'll be 100% sure the problem is from the DHCP client tommorow, when I'll have several Wireless routers around me, connect my phone to them, and see whether it has assigned an IP address or not. And also whether I have ping to that IP.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
duac7

The problem that I am facing is not the same as many people are having here. My c7 does not even connect to the WLAN router! The problem it gives is after trying to connect to the router "conn. error WLAN not found". Although it detects the SSID correctly and tries to connect in the first place. As I said earlier I have tried with all sorts of settings on my phone but I cannot connect.

I am able to connect at other places. So I am thinking of dumping my belkin 54g rounter and replacing it with TP-link router with which the phone works fine. There is a clear compatibility issue with the c7 wifi hardware/software with the belkin 54g routers.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
djnikk

I've got some progress, I connected my C7 without any problems at my workplace to a D-link router. So the problem I was facing was for some wireless devices, and certanly for Win7 ad-hock. I guess I was wrong about dhcp client problem, but I'm not sure what caused that, it's certainly not me :smileyhappy:

Other interesting thing was an Error trying to play  larger .wmv files, I got error something like: "Memory is full, close some applications" and the Video player crashes. I tried reboots, closing everything else, but without success, until Deleting one of the Home screens . So video works better with 2 Home screens and less apps open :smileyhappy:

Wish U all happy new year :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TASOS

[ Edited ]

I am trying to turn off wifi  but when I turn it off within 5 seconds it switches itself back on again, how do I turn it off and use it manually, I have looked everywhere but just can't find the right setting.

Please use plain text.