Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia C7 lost messages after Nokia Belle updat...

Advisor
herrzeba

Nokia C7 lost messages after Nokia Belle update.

Hi!

I performed updated from Anna to Belle today for my girlfriend on Nokia C7. I synchronized contacts, calendar and notes via iSync on my Mac OS. After update all messages are erased and she had important information there. I read in trouble shooting, that:

Q: What should I do if the automatic restore of my phones content doesn’t work after I did the update to Nokia Belle and I don’t see my contacts, calendar, bookmarks, etc.?

A: The backup of your phone content is stored under C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Nokia Suite\Backups and includes "Nokia_Belle_Update" in the filename. If the automatic restore doesn't work, you can try to restore your contents manually by opening the "Tools menu" in Nokia Suite and selecting "Restore".

I installed Ovi Suite on Mac and downloaded extra support for C7, but I couldn't restore that information. She never installed Ovi Suite on her PC. My question is: is she installs Ovi Suite for PC on her laptop, will she be able to restore old messages? I recently switched to Belle as well on my Nokia N8, but I'm not that crazy about old messages, so I haven't noticed it. I checked on my phone using Files disk C, but there wasn't any folders with my username.

Any advice would be more than welcome!

PS. Also Joiku Hotspot doesn't show in Nokia Store, even though it was paid for and installed on Anna.

- herrzeba

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Re: Nokia C7 lost messages after Nokia Belle update.

Theoretically, yes. She should be able to restore from that back up file if its recognised by Nokia suite on a windows PC.
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Advisor
herrzeba

PC Suite couldn't find any .nbu file with backup. If Suite for Mac was the same as for Windows there wouldn't be any problem, as I would backup EVERYTHING. New system erases messages, but keeps your old apps (is they work on Belle), photos, etc. I am not happy. I know a bit fault is on my side, but c'mon!

If Nokia continues to be user unfriendly I won't bother with Nokia 808 and switch to Samsung.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi herrzeba,

Thanks for posting. Nokia Belle can only be installed using Nokia Suite v3.3.x (on a Windows PC) and during the update a full backup of the phone contents is created on the PC used to perform the update.

You will find the backup in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Nokia Suite\Backups and will include Nokia_Belle_Update in the filename.

If for some reason not all data is restored or the automatic restore does not work you can manually do a restore by selecting Tools>Restore.

In the dialog that opens click the Next button and then ensure that all content you want to restore is selected.

Additionally please also check that your backup file is automatically selected in the drop down list under 'Restore content' from the above mentioned location. If not, click 'Other backups....' in the drop down list and then choose your backup file from the location mentioned above.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
herrzeba

Thanks Kosh,

Yes, it would work if I was updating with PC, but I used Nokia Software Updater for Mac and it doesn't have these options unfortunately. As a Mac user I feel a big let down and it's a pitty that the backup isn't created automaticaly on Mac as it is on PC.

Please use plain text.