Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia E51: Using skype

Nokia E51: Using skype

I have been using nokia E51 from last couple of months, I use fring to access my skype account and make outgoing calls. But the performance is really very poor. The call gets dropped quite often. I have 2 questions:

Is there any other software that I can use to make the outgoing call more reliabily? I would prefer to use skype credits.

Is there any software that I can install to receive the calls on my cellphone like we do on PC?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Re: Nokia E51: Using skype

If you are using Skype then you are pretty much stuck with Skype. Incidentally I installed Fring on an E51 recently for a friend. He uses it for Skype regularly and is finding it quite good, except for "peak" hours, usually during the morning on weekends when he experiences some problems.

I myself use Skype with Fring on both my N95 and N80. I also have a dedicated Linksys Skype phone. Difference is quality is marginal. I would however say that there seems to be a little more lag probably due to the calls having to be routed through the Fring server as well.

Please use plain text.

Thanks for the response. My cellphone has 512MB of SD card. Should I upgrade it? When I use fring, I see frequent disconnect.

Whats the recommended software for taking skype calls or other VOIP calls on E51?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

512mb should be loads, assuming that you have not already filled it up with other things.

There is no official recommended software for use with Skype but since Fring is free, try it out, if you are not happy then try something else.

You could also try iSkoot which I dislike because you still incur a minimal network charge even when you are using it with your wlan.

Please use plain text.