Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia E6-00 connecting through 3G when Wi-Fi avail...

gregorsk

Nokia E6-00 connecting through 3G when Wi-Fi available

Hi,

I seem to have a problem with my Nokia E6-00 (firmware ver. 022.014) when it connects through 3G even though WiFi is available.

I have configured the phone to  "Data use in home country" > "Automatic" and set my preference list in such a way that number 1. is my WiFi connection (good old WRT54G), 2-3 some other Wi-Fi networks (office etc.) and 4. is my 3G connection.

However, despite the WiFi being available all the time (I am within 2-3 meters from the router and it works fine all the time on some other devices - laptops and phones), it seems that when the phone is checking for e-mails (set to 10 min interval) it does so over the 3G rather than WiFi. Needless to say, this proved to be quite costly and a big surprise when I got the phone bill.

I can manually connect to WiFi, so the configuration of the connection does not seem to be the problem. On random occasions the phone uses Wi-Fi  as expected for some undetermined time (up to a couple of hours) and then the behavior re-appears.

Setting "Data use in home country" > "WLAN only" solves the problem only partially - the phone uses WiFi, but outside, when there is no WiFi available I loose the possibility to have automatic and regular e-mail checks/updates.

Did anybody experience this with their phones?

Regards,

Kuba

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

Re: Nokia E6-00 connecting through 3G when Wi-Fi available

meny-settings-connectivity-settings-destinations-internet- change priority here.

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.
gregorsk

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately this is exactly where I think I have a problem: my WiFi connection has the highest priority (1), and 3G is only number 4 on the list.

Regards,

Kuba

Please use plain text.
Professor
Ztuka

Just brainstorming here...

Recheck the E6-manual for ideas..

Check settings inside the browsers, Nokia webb, opera...

Delete all settings from your carrier/operator

Restart the phone, reinstall the GPRS-settings from the carrier

Even delete settings for WLAN..WLAN off when clicking on the battery (upper right screen)...

As I said, just brainstorming here...

Nokia 808 again (delight Belle), Nokia E7 and X7 ( again, all on Delight Belle...after some time on Nokia Lumia 925 (retired), 1020 (not that great)and Lumia 820 (Replaced my router at home, great for internet sharing).., N9 The best device ever (use it as much as Lumia 1020), Nokia 700 (Sport Phone/My Love :-) ) Nokia 701, Nokia E6 (Should have a follow-up from Nokia among with larger screen, NFC, Autofocus), Lumia 800 (Retired After 6 weeks), -Sports Tracker-Nokia Internet Radio-Handy Safe-Skype-Bambuser-Screenshot app pro-fMobi-ComingNext-Manual TaskSwitcher-jagiTimer-Easy StopWatch-Boldbeast-Equalizer-Financial Calculator-WiMP Music-YTasks-Davi-Thumbnail Folders-BizCalendar-Tiny7-Situations-nn reeder-Sport Timer-CameraLover-CameraPro-GrabRadio-LiveScore-Poddi-Gravity-SkyFilesPro
Please use plain text.