Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia E7 -Calendar function extremely slow

bidia

Our company is using Lotus Notes Traveler version 8.5.3.1 201110272105 and problems with calendar syncronization remains.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lubbers

Hi Raymond. You are right about the multiple calendars that it is not problem, because I also had the problem before I synced via PCsuite. I have version 8.5.3.1, unfortunatly that does not solve it.
I checked my settings and I see have "show all" selected for past and future events. Perhaps that is the problem for me. I will see if it helps to set it to 1 month or so. I will check this setting with my colleagues. how they have set it. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lubbers

As soon as I sync the calendar via Traveller (1 month past/3month future) the calendar becomes very slow. Also the phone is reacting much slower. I have deleted the calendar and synced via PCsuite again and everything is ok and quick again. Very strange.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Raymond_Nyns

@ Lubbers

1 Syncing with LN traveler (remote) makes my E7 very slow ( useless)

2 Then=> Sync with Nokia Suite on my  home PC (so all business entries are on my pc at home).

3 Delete all entries on my E7 (its empty after that)

4 Reload all entries from  Nokia Suite (they are back on my E7) Now running smooth!

5 With the same entries (that were slow) but coming from nokia suite instead of LN traveler my E7 is running fine. (Still wonder why since they are the same entrrie that originally came from LN traveler and were slow).

6 Since then, my E7 updates new entries from LN traveler (remote every hour) (removing 2 weeks in the past and 6 months in future)

7 Still working fine so far.

8 Now about 90% of all entries came from my home pc as described above and about 10% came from LN traveler (By syncing). In about the next 6 months all entries originate from LN traveler (remote sync)

I  wonder how long its will run smooth.

CONCLUSION : Data directly coming from LN traveler makes the E7 very slow or almost useless., The SAME (!!!!) data from Nokia Suite causes no problem at all.

So there must be a difference between calendar data coming from LN traveler and the same calendar data coming from Nokia Suite.

NOTHING HEARD FROM NOKIA SO FAR EXCEPT A RECEIPT OF MY REPORTED PROBLEM

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lubbers

Raymond,

I have the same issues as you describe, my phone even crashes because of the sync problems with Traveller.

Strange thing is that 2 of my colleagues also have an E7 without the problems that I have. The only difference I found so far is that they have Dutch language for the phone were mine is English. I can not imagine that this is the problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Raymond_Nyns

My E7 is also in Dutch language, so I think the problem has nothing to do with language settings. Tge only thing that I cab imagine is that Lotus Notes uses some encryption or something?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pex81

Hi i have tested on nokia E7 and lotus traveler 8.5.3.1 and if client is configured with domain name es. mail.myserver.com have a problem with mail and calendar, but if configure client with IP Addresso es. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx calendar and mail sync nomally.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lubbers

pex81 Thanks for the hint it seems indeed that here is the issue.

I found out that a colleage of mine syncs via wifi instead of GPRS which I use. I have now also synced (first time) via Wifi and I noticed that the calendar is now named "Lotus" where it before was named "Personal". Syncing went smooth and without problems of slowing down the calendar/phone. After that I have used my GPRS connection again and it seems just a little slower but much much better then before. The calendar is stilled called "Lotus".

Very strange but it seems to be working now. Thanks again big time.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pex81

My Calendar is named "Personal" not "Lotus".

I have tested another problem, on setting Traveler configuration "Automatic Syncronization" if set "Always Connect" i recived error after tot. min, if setting "sync each 15 min" work, but this is not push email.

I personally am disappointed.

Please use plain text.
bidia

Nokia has just released a software update "Agendaserver" for Belle. Which "improves synchronisation of calendar events between phone and lotus notes traveller". Iam hping that this will solve our problem. Have to try it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pex81

I read it,  has an update even lotus traveler 8.5.3.2.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lubbers

[ Edited ]

This is really ridicolous. I thought I had everything going well. Not sure what happened, but the problems of the slowing down of my phone are back! It is not possible to do syncing via traveller. Syncing via PCsuite works fine.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
svi78

The "Agendaserver for calendar” is available for Nokia Belle devices. Please update via SW Update, if you have Lotus Notes Traveler version 8.5.3.1. That should help on the calendar performance issues.

Please use plain text.
bidia

Instalation of "Agendaserver” doesnt sovle the problem at all. Iam still using Lotus Notes Traveler 8.5.3.1. Version 8.5.3.2 is not available in our organization so far.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lubbers

[ Edited ]

The agendaserver update also does not solve the problem for me unfortunatly (Traveller 8.5.3.1).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Raymond_Nyns

The only working solution after a lot op updates testings, back to factory settings and anything you can imagine, this works for me.

The calendar becomes slow/useless after an initial sync with LN traveler, or after "replace" data from LN to calendar.

This works:

Step 1

Remove all calendar entries on your E7. After its emptied, it works fine, although there are no items at all since when you removed them.

Step 2

Do an initial sync with LN traveler ( I did it by 3G, wireless) Take a small range for example 1 month in the past till 3 months in the future. (I'll explain why later)

Your calender is filled now and very slow, or even seless.

Step 3

Sync your slow  calendar with an empty calendar on your (home) pc, (With Nokia Suite) for example with outlook calendar. Now your business calendar entries are both on your phone as on your home pc.

Step 4

Again remove all calendar items on your E7.

Step 5

Sync again your E7 with the calendar on your home pc using Nokia Suite.

Now your E7 has the calendardata back. But the difference is, now your calendar is running smooth and quickly.

Step 6

By the first LN Traveler  sync with your office your data are doubled in your office calendar. You'll find every entrie twice on Lotus Notes but only once on your E7.

Don't remove the doubles on LN because with the next sync you'll lose most of the entries on your E7. This is why you have to sync only 1 month in the past till e.g. 3 or 6 month in the future. This problem will disappear with the time. With every sync new data are put on your e7 and ald data wille be removed, and only once and not double again.

I did these steps about a month ago so now most of the old entries are replaced by every sync that's automatically done every 1 hour.  Still my E7 is running fine.

Conclusion: Problems occur after the initianal sync, and NOT after the folowing syncs with traveler. The initial sync into an empty E7 calendat must be done from your home pc as described above.  The Traveler update from nokia did not help to solve the issue.

I hope this will help you. Let us know!

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
svi78

@All on this thread, with slow calendar issue. We have not succeeded to repeat this after Agendaserver fix.

To help you, we need the following additional info:

1) Event types in calendar, Anniversaries, Meeting request, Historic events??
2) Approx. Number of calendar events
3) Can user share the icals with us? (Let me know, I am contacting you via discussion forum private email)
4) How old are these events? Spanning from when to when?
5) Any events downloaded from web in device calendar like school timetable, Match schedules, Festival calendars etc?

You could contact us for example via your local Nokia Support, www.nokia.com/support > Contact us, or by sending private email for me.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lubbers

[ Edited ]

@Raymond. Unfortunatly that did not work for me.

I try to explain what I did:

Step 1

Removed all calendar entries: Personal calendar -> "Delete all events" and PC suite calender "Delete Calendar". Now there is one calendar "Personal" which is empty. Phone is ok.

Step 2

Sync via Traveller: (wifi) 1 month past and 3 month future -> Result: Ok, no slowing down of my calendar/phone. There is 1 calendar on my phone called "Personal".

BUT I noticed that not all my calendar entries in the 4 month time span (Lotus Notes Calender on PC) were synced to my Nokia. Strange, I have not noticed this before.

I think the appointments that did/will not sync via traveller came originally from my Phone via the PCsuite synchronization to the PC.

When I sync via PCsuite afterwards these entries are synced to my phone to the calendar named PC Suite. So at that moment there are 2 calendars. 1 That was synced via Traveller (goes to the default "Personal) and the other is synced via PCSuite (called: PC suite).

At that moment things start to slow down to the point the phone is useless.

It seems that appointments from the PC suite syncing can not "live beside" appointments that are synced via Traveller after the Belle upgrade.

Raymond. You mention that you have/had double appointments. Is it correct to assume that 1 appointment is in the Personal calendar and the other in the PCsuite?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Raymond_Nyns

@ lubbers. Amon all the calendar test n my E7 I have never seen a calendar other than 'personal'

So I've always had only 1 calendar and thats called 'personal' . I don't think there's an issue with double calendars.  My workaround stll works, but I noticed that all callendar items that were made by my secretary with other LN users were cancelled in their office LN calendars. So, at many meetings nobody but me showed up :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.