Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia E71 Keypad doesn't work and update help.

andymoss460

Nokia E71 Keypad doesn't work and update help.

Hi, I have a Nokia E71 which as I write is not responding to any of the keys.

When I turn it on it boots up and then gets to the 'Set date' window, which I can't get past because it does not register me pressing 'OK'.

I think reinstalling the firmware will fix this, because before it stopped working it went through a phase of not working, and then working again, and then not. 

The problem I have is that I can't select the 'PC Suite' on my phone when I plug it in because it won't let me press any keys.

Any suggestions as to how I can get my computer to recognise that I have the phone connected, without having to select PC Suite on my phone?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Re: Nokia E71 Keypad doesn't work and update help.

If the pc won't recognize the phone du to the fact that you cannot set the phone in suite mode - I don't think there is a way to force that.

What I would do is to pull out the battery and the memorycard. Wait at least 5 mins before you put the battery back. - leave the memorycard out. - Turn it on.

If the keys are dead, there might be a hardware fault or a totally crashed os which a Nokia care point only can repair.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

It could sound like it is the keyboard having a loose connection, but it's impossible for us to say as we can not see it. You can find your nearest care point by clicking the "contact us" link on the top right of this page.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
andymoss460

[ Edited ]

Thanks very much for your replies - I left the battery out overnight because I had already tried leaving the battery out for varying amounts of time. The keys were working this morning so I managed to connect it and update the firmware. Fingers crossed it will stay working!

Please use plain text.
SalmanShahid

Hi, I am facing the same problem. None of my keys are working. I am not able to unlock or do anything. I tried switching it off, took out the battery, replaced it but same result. Some how i managed to connect to Nokia Suite and installed new software but as a part of installation process when cell phone got restarted automatically, i was not able to select the region, date, time etc. ANy idea how can I fix this? Many thanks. Salman
Please use plain text.