Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia E71: Shutdown and restarts automatically

Counsellor

Nokia E71: Shutdown and restarts automatically

I have the E71 since 3 Weeks and it shutdown nearly 10 time I think. He restart always after big loads, like searching a city and a street in Nokia Maps or starting something special.

How stable is our E71? Please make it stabler in the next Firmware!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: Nokia E71: Shutdown and restarts automatically

yes, mine one having same problem...

dont know how many out there having this OS restart issue,

Nokia, can you Fix this?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I've got the same problem. Please solve this.
It's annoying and should not happen!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

run ur phone without ur memory card and observe the same.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
pitrelli

This should help:
Always remember to backup your phone before performing resets as your data may be lost.

(a) Restore factory settings:
*#7780# - resets all the settings to the default
(b) Reformat phone (If (a) doesn't help...)
*#7370# - Reformat your phone

Restore from backup... and your phone should work fine... this worked for me... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

there is a battery issue with nokia e71
in fact there was for me and several of my friends
the battery is a bit loose so it may lose contact
with the main body, so the phone restarts;
therefore i put a small folded paper back of the battery
which stabilized the battery and my problem solved there is no
restart anymore
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Returning mine to Amazon.com for random shutdown issue. It may be the 'loose battery' thing, but my unit's battery seems quite secure.

Also, the shutdown often occurs at the moment a key is pressed, but also has happened without any interaction, as when I am carrying it in my pocket--both of which tend to support the theory that the issue originates with an intermittent battery connection.

When the problem happens, it seems to persist until the unit is left off for a period of time, as if even minuscule increases in power draw crash the system.

For example, after an unwanted shutdown, when the phone is completely off, I manually restart it with the red button. It starts, displays the phone lock code dialog, and the instant I press any key, blam, lights go out, phone shuts down. If I leave the phone off for a while, then restarting can be executed normally.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have the same shutdown problem, mine shut's down 4-5 times a day, I did send it back to nokia, they "said" it was repaired but the problem wasn't solved at all. I did send it again to nokia to repair or replace the phone.

As they claim it is there busniss flagship phone -> this should mean at least that people buying the E71 should be reachable... and not be wondering if there phone hasn't turned off yet!!! 

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

On my 2nd phone as I took my first one back with same problem.

Yep, I am having this problem whereby going down my list of phone contacts then going back to the top and pressing exit will cause the phone to restart.

Message Edited by minwang88 on 29-Jan-2009 07:25 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have the same shutdown problem after reformat the phone now it’s work perfect.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi All,

i used my totally brand new E71 just for 2 weeks, with a shutdown problem (every 10 minutes) on the online mode and every 2 hours on Offline mode.

I did the hrad reset & reformat i remove the suspected application that causing this problem.

Nothing help !!!!!

I'm really realy upset NOKIA 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

and i did sofware upgrade to the Care Centre but nothings changed,

any idea NOKIA ???

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Send the Handset back to nokia care center! You may have a problem with your battery I think... If you know a friend with the same Nokia, try to use his battery for a while.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

ok i will try that way

hope it works,

get little frustated w/ my new E71

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Same problem here.  My brand new Nokia E71 started to shut off when I answered a call.  It could not call out either.  I tried every thing.  Then I thought it might be the battery even though it shows a 60-70% charge.  I fully charged it with the phone off.  Everything works fine now.  I've ordered a new battery.

These phones are a bit old.  Actually Nokia is about to discontinue them.  Their dealers can no longer get them.  So the batteries that you get in your new phone might be several years old.  I'm hoping the new batteries are in better shape.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Don't understand the reply that says the E71 is old & about to be discontinued??

With regards to the question I have had this problem on & off which I narrowed down to the SmartConnect software. For some reason it seems to work fine for a while & then causes problems. I know it is SmartConnect on my phone cos I have installed it three times & the rebooting issue only disappeared when I removed it.

I only reinstalled it the 3rd time to prove that it was the problem as, to be honest, it does not really add value just like most applications we install - cos we can!

Hope this might help.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have the same issue: its got to be a **bleep** software issues as it can be simply sitting on my desk, not being touched and it re-boots.

My other problem is the damn thing hanging up and having to take  the batter out several times a day to get it working.

NOKIA GET A CLUE AND QUITE RELEASING **bleep** HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE

Ja Mata N80 | N80ie | N81 | N95 | E65 | E61 | E61i | E6i | E71| [ - NONE of them have ever worked as advertised]
Please use plain text.

I have had my phone less than 2 days, and scrolling through my contacts before the phone rebooted.

Do Nokia ever read these forums or just put their head in the sand??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
shuntfield

I get this now and again, I have had the phone for almost a year, and it has only really done it with the latest 200 firmware, there could be action on the cellular interface between the phone and the network, thats causing it to hang, perhaps an invalid command or a mix up which causes it.

However, it normally only does this when there is some interaction with the phone, I have not noticed this problem with the phone sat doing nothing and it my case its quite rare.

As regards to placing paper into the back of the handset to "press against" the battery, then I think that has more to do with the battery internals. Around about 3 years ago Nokia redesigned the battery interface connectors from pad like arrangements to blade and socket type connectors, these connectors appear to be designed to be very much more tolerant of the battery movement, so much so that there is no movement allowed within the connector when it is making contact with the handset. If you look at the rear of the E71 there is also two long foam pads in place to hold this movement.

ianm10, with regard to Nokia reading this forum, then yes there are members of their teams that look at this forum, however it is peer to peer and no one from Nokia will actually respond to a posting. If they actually change the product at all due to the feedback then there is no way of telling, unless they can get a Prototype or Production E71 to mimic the exact cause of the restart then they cannot resolve the problem.

Lets face it, the E71 is now one year old, and the E72 is around the corner, spending lots of time on a mature handset will not make any money. That is not what anyone wants to hear but unfortunately a sad fact of business. There may be only one or two more updates for the handset left I would have thought, and glaring unusable bugs that they can see will be addressed first.

Shunts...

I will mostly be communicating with a Nokia E72 Zodium Black
Nokia E72-1 with Vr 051.018.207.04 Software
If this post helped... Add some kudos!! :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
HaplessE71

Just spoke to Nokia support.

Apparently they have never heard of this resetting problem.

CALL THEM.

TELL THEM ABOUT IT.

TELL THEM HOW FRUSTRATED YOU ARE.

ruetolo wrote:
I have the E71 since 3 Weeks and it shutdown nearly 10 time I think. He restart always after big loads, like searching a city and a street in Nokia Maps or starting something special.

How stable is our E71? Please make it stabler in the next Firmware!

Please use plain text.