Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia E72 - Firmware & Mail for Exchange

Screwball

Nokia E72 - Firmware & Mail for Exchange

[ Edited ]

As a business we run Exchange 2007 and we now have 2 E72's using MfE to connect with the exchange servers.

Both of these users are former E71 users and were very happy with the E71, hence why they went with an E72 as they were reliable. It would seem that's not the case.

The main E72 (my bosses!) is taking forever to Sync and when it does it's hit and miss. he was at the other office last week and over the phone myself and a colleague had to remove all the settings, remove the mail sync connection in exchange, remove basically anything to do with the Exchange profile on phone a server to only then allow it to re-sync!

So to say he is a little annoyed with the phone at present is an understatement. To say I am fed up with it is probably not the best words but they will have to do with in a public forum.

It has the latest firmware... it's the 3rd Revision from what I have seen for this model. It should work with out all these issues.

The E71 with version 4.0 firmware and MfE 3.0 is a pocket rocket. Why is it then we can't have the E72 do the exact same thing? It would certainly mean that the next time my boss travels he doesn't have to worry about his phone having issues?

Can we please for the sake of lost hair, get an update that allows Nokia E72 users to download from Ovi MfE 3.0 and get some stability into this phone so that it works correctly? Either that or get a firmware that has the latest version of MfE built into it and is stable so support guys around the world don't have to wear the phone when their bosses get  fed up with them!

Honestly, you built an E71 to work fantastic, how hard is it to get your latest product to the same type of specifications. It's almost a downgrade what you have produced.

Lastly Nokia, an update on when a new and hopefully better firmware for the E72 is availble would also be a godsend. I get asked everyday at the moment if there is a new one out. I would like to be able to provide an answer so we can live in hope these issues will be fixed.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Inekar

Re: Nokia E72 - Firmware & Mail for Exchange

Hi

The new Nokias use a new way of connecting. Is it struggling also the connect on the internet?

Check the Under connections and the destinations and see what connections are available and delete any unnesessary ones and then priorotise the one yuo want it to connect to first.That it will check that oner first.  I would suggest the wireless in the home and the workplace first and then follow on with you network connection

Hope this helps

Nokia Accredited Car Kit Engineer
e:jason@inekar.com
www.inekar.com Please Kudos me if you think I help!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
shoecakeuk

Re: Nokia E72 - Firmware & Mail for Exchange

I've also recently bought an E72 to sync email with exchange. I don't know if you are using client certificates, but I really struggled with these to start with. The phone would work fine for the first half hour and then completely freeze up when trying to sync.

I moved the certificate form the personal store to the phone store (so a paasword is not asked for each time it is used), set the phone to push email all of the time and now the email mostly works.

It syncs now, but when I read or delete email on my phone, the exchange mailbox is only updated half of the time.

As for firmware I am on 021.024, the Noikia site says there is a new version - 022.007 but when I check from OVI suite it says there is no new update and I cannot download it. When I try the firmware update from the phone I get an invalid password error!

Combined with a few other issues, I am starting to regret getting a Nokia phone and wish I went for a windows mobile version instead.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tmalar

setup any otrRe: Nokia E72 - Firmware & Mail for Exchange

Hi, I have the same problem. I can setup any other phone with Exchange server but not E72. It connects but no data are being transmitted. Nokia is not able to help me at at all. I'm very dissappointed.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cfmsteve

Re: setup any otrRe: Nokia E72 - Firmware & Mail for Exchange

Hi,

Ive been using my E72 for a while now - worked perfectly syncing to a Microsoft hosted Exchange server running the latest stable release of MS Exchange 2010 (through the Mircrosoft live@edu scheme - yes, inow its not in the public domain yet, but hosted MS server are using this release).

It's worked perfectly, until yesterday. The phone has just stopped syncing. I've done a hard reset today, provided all the settings etc.. Worked great for about 10 minutes, but again, has now stopped syncing to the account. EMail, calendar and contacts are failing to sync. I've checked with Micrsofot and it isn't an issue with them - there service hasn't changed in the last few weeks so its not due to upgarde to the exchange server.

Any ideas as to what may be causing the problems? Like everyone else, I need the email synicing on my phone, and if I can't get the issue resolved within days at the most, i'll have to leave my E72 behind and return to either Blackberry or iPhone. Neither of which I really want to do, but I cant have an un-reliable phone!

Any offers of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

This post may help...

The reason why the error posted earlier appeared was due, once again, to folder issues. Some of the standard folders had been moved by the users in earlier versions of Outlook (which still allowed standard folders to be moved) to other folders, i.e. 'Tasks' under 'Journal' and 'Contacts' under 'Inbox'. I recommend that you communicate to users with similar issues (as the log may display different errors) that the folder tree structure needs to be standard. Users who have been exported from older Exchange versions which allowed standard folders to be moved should take extra care.

Symptoms:

- MfE connects, downloads policy and applies policy settings, but disconnects before anything else is downloaded. 'System error' may or may not occur. If removing any of the calendar/tasks/contacts from being synced starts the sync process, there is an error in the now unselected folder.  

- The phone syncs correctly, but displays 'Unable to complete command' when trying to create a new email message.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
prutser

On the older E series devices MfE is installed separately on the device. With the E72 MfE is build in the OS. Does MfE on a E72 have a firmware number or version? Or is it just the firmware number like 022.XXXX?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jim_Clark

[ Edited ]

> i'll have to leave my E72 behind and return to either Blackberry or iPhone.

> Neither of which I really want to do, but I cant have an un-reliable phone!

get a Palm Pre or Pixi. Connecting to an  Exchange account is just 1 minute and syncing is soooo fast. No way for me to get back to E72 until this (and other bugs) get fixed.

Regards

Jim

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Lots of problems, but did we get a solution to any of these?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JessGibson

I'm having all the same problems - managed to sync once, but can't get it to do it again.

Can someone please tell me how I update the firmware for me Nokia E72?

Please use plain text.
Fedor

My Nokia E72 gave me a lot of trouble, until it refused even anyrhing. Now it has received newest software and a full factory reset three days ago, after which sync with Microsoft Exchange worked for... 2 days. Now the calendar is no longer updated in either direction. I have no idea anymore what to do. My provider contract lasts for another half year...Then a new phone will no longer be a Nokia, I will say Nokino instead.

Please use plain text.