Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia E72: Memory full. Delete or move some da...

Mobile Visionary
thetao

Re: Nokia E72: Memory full. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory.

@thebestramesh

Your problem is lack of free ram, different than the original poster, who had run out of free rom on the C drive.  I may get the "memory full" error if the Nokia browser is running and I try using USB tethering.  My solution?  I close the browser. :smileywink:  So you may have too many programs running.  But if this problem happens with seemingly nothing running, or right after a reboot, then something else is grabbing your ram.  See /t5/Eseries-and-Communicators/e72-memory-full-error/m-p/1142947 for a few suggestions.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
E72Ark

@ tundru

i also had a memory full problem. i suspected it was skype. still do. will try a reinstall of that, but you were right about those emails. i use my email primarily to send out pics and vids and there were indeed some 30megs of media-rich emails. deleted them and have staved off a reinstall for the time being.

anyone else experience skype as being a memory hog?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SmartStan

[ Edited ]

I have just about tried all the tircks in this discussion and other forums...the problem persists and frustrates, it started on the phone's fourth day of use out of the box. And all I had on it was contacts and everything that comes installed standard. It cannot be a user fault I disagree.

Stan Cokoe
on mobile
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

@SmartStan:

How much storage is available on the C: drive?  If you bought the phone 4 days ago and only added Contacts, my first reaction is that somebody sold you a used phone.  If this is true, I would strongly consider returning it for a new unit (unless you bought it used).  Alternatively, make sure you have a Contacts backup, then hard reset your phone: *#7370# , default password 12345.  If that doesn't reset everything, do a soft reset, too: *#7780# .  Restore your Contacts and the phone should be pristine.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
khayyum

I read the whole thread to find a solution for this problem it does not seem like Nokia has a solution.. This will be last phone I am gonna use from NOKIA... fed up with symbian. I expect a solution for this in every update but 3 updates has come but no solution for this "Memory full. please try closing appilications and try again" problem. Maps dont work showing the same message on screen. Nokia store doesn't open showing the same message on the screen. I dont think I have spend so much on a phone which can be used only to make calls, receive calls and mails and some music. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

@kyahuum:

See the link to another thread in my September 26th post above. If your error is "memory full. please try closing appilications and try again", then your problem is free ram, and monitoring it with a program like PhoNetInfo is my best suggestion. My E73 is very similar to your E72, and after a reboot and planning a ~500 km trip with Nokia Maps, I still have at least 16 MB free! I think something is grabbing your free ram.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SmartStan

after reading everything here again and again I have come to one conclusion - I am just taking the phone back, period!
Stan Cokoe
on mobile
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SmartStan

Re: Nokia E72: Memory full. Delete or move some data from C: Phone memory

It seems to me there is no generic solution for everyone's situation even though the problem or at least error message is the same.I think i will just returnmy phone, something I have never done in my entire 12 year relationship with Nokia. I am stuck, completely it seems.

Stan Cokoe
on mobile
Please use plain text.
Advisor
SmartStan

The phone was new from the box and I have even already tried both hard and soft factory resents at least two times each. and my memmory is vrtually untouched. i have resolved to retrun it. I have been clearly outsmarted by this problem.

Stan Cokoe
on mobile
Please use plain text.
Advisor
khayyum

@thetao: Thank you for the reply. Please suggest me on how to clear the cache or ram. I do not find it. I have cleared it through Browser's options where we can go through Options=>clear privacy data=>clear all. Still the problem exists. Kindly suggest. Thank you. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

@SmartStan:

I would hate to cost Nokia a sale, but did say myself that you should at least swap your phone for another E72. These problems should never happen on a brand new phone or after a hard reset. In other situations, it could be caused by your firmware version, what is installed/configured on the phone, or what you are doing at the time. I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all fix.

@Khayyum:

Clearing the brower cache won't help in your situation, because that frees only rom memory (i.e. if your "phone memory" was full). Both you and Stan have *ram* problems. A quick solution would be to try what Stan did and hard reset the phone (assuming that a rogue program is grabbing your ram). But I hate suggesting that because setting up the phone again can be time-consuming. I still recommend a program like PhoNetInfo, so you can monitor ram usage (i.e. after a reboot and then after you run program X). If you have considerably less than 40 MB free after a reboot, then some auto-start app is grabbing it. I typically never see this error on my E73, except when loading very fat web sites. I wish our phones had *more* free ram, but I have been able to manage.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
khayyum

@thetao :
Thanks for the reply sir. I always have 180MB free on phone memory. But as you suggested, I'll used phonetinfo app. but this helps in only monitoring ram memory or it helps on clearing the ram memory. kindly suggest. thank you.
Please use plain text.
emredemirci

I have came across with this issue in E72 too. If you look at Menu / Office / File Manager / Phone Memory / Logs / Eng / 0ds ==>

I think in every email check, smart(!) phone logs an .xml entry with the passwords of all email accounts (some are starred ***, some are not. Maybe it is about my settings). It has a format like this: 634938413********_GALRequest.xml
Content is: <AccountSetup><Response Op="GetEmailAccts"><EmailAccountType="POP3" UserDisplayName....

Yesterday, there were so much logs in the phone, its memory has reduced to 50kb, then to zero, begun to not to find any contacts on the phone by typing from the keyboard, not to log missed calls and only were able to call by typing the number.

By deleting the logs (Menu / Office / File Manager / Phone Memory / Logs / Eng / 0ds) which took nearly 2-3 hours (!) to delete (Do not open the 0ds folder and select all the files, Selection only takes long time to complete. Instead select the folder entirely.), I was able to use my phone again. But I am tracking the logs, phone keeps to create .xml file. Someday (till I find the solution) it will fill my memory again. Does anyone know the solution to this situation? What are these logs and how we can disable the log creation? Why were they not being created until today?

E72-1
Software version: 081.003 

Thanks everyone for help.
Emre 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hughm_nyksj_dk

I've batted with this problem - and found the cause, but surely, the solution must come from Nokia.

It seems to be the mail function creating all the logs files, and In My Humble Opinion, I can't see why it should the business of ordinary folks on the street - however smart they be - to root around delting files which otherwise render their phones useless.

Have  a great day

hughm_nyksj_dk
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
thetao

@khayyum:

PhoNetInfo only monitors the phone state, including free ram, so it won't fix ram problems, but will hopefully help direct your attention to the problem. Again, see the link in my September 26th post. There is one or more programs that claim to manage ram better, but I have never tried these and in your case am concerned they would only mask the underlying problem. Oh, and ignore the recent Nokia Email logs comments, as these also pertain to phone memory only. :smileywink:

@emredemirci and hughm_nyksj_dk:

I assume those log files are internal debug information, and should have been disabled before the program was released to the public. Nokia's test engineering department doesn't impress me. :smileysad: Back on the original thread for that topic, I think one user claimed to have a solution, but that might have involved disabling push, which isn't a real fix.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
khayyum

@thetao : Thank you for the suggestions.. will see to it. :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
hughm_nyksj_dk

Thank-you too, thetao. As far as having enough memory goes, I have bought an app that closes what it considers to be unused apps.

Ramblow certainly makes sure I have more phone memory space, which _seems_ to reduce problems with free RAM. But it costs USD 14.95 in OviStore - perhaps it should be free and bundled with a little app that dumps all those log files, bar one or two days worth.

Unfortunately Ramblow closes RealPlayer whether you like it or not. Apps that can run in the background can be selected for protection (excluded) from Ramblow's cleanup (which basically closes all non-protected apps at regualar intervals, but those which cannot, like RealPlayer, will be closed.

Putting RealPlayer issue in another string...

hughm_nyksj_dk
Please use plain text.
sansam77

Nokia ought to reconsider the very concept of deploying a measly, frugal RAM on-board their devices, if they are any serious force to be reckoned with; one conspicuous element in the comparison chart among cell-phone makers is this aspect, where Nokia devices have in fact an embarrassing short-coming, across legions of their mobile platforms over last several generations of technological evolution. A largish form factor for their devices only makes matters appear visually repelling!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
dekkerdekrekker

[ Edited ]

Had same problem; no more! The solution of deleting log files in "Menu / Office / File Manager / Phone Memory / Logs / Eng / 0ds" worked for me: THANKS emredemirci !!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
SmartStan

If this really does work it will be a big break for many of us. Now tell me, is this a permanent solution or will I have to regularly do this?

Stan Cokoe
on mobile
Please use plain text.