29-01-2011 21:39 - edited 29-01-2011 21:47
My Nokia N8 had functioned perfectly until it crashed transferring a file via bluetooth. After a restart I can no longer access any files that were stored in the mass memory or even view the mass memory in File manager, or via bluetooth onmy macbook. Other than this issue the phone seems to be functioning normally.
I've tried reformatting the drive by dialling *#7370# but am still unable to access the memory.
Does anybody know of a software fix that might solve the problem or am I going to have to drop it into a nokia repair centre.
Can only suggest backup all you need and return to Care Point because firmware will probably have to be re-installed as a diagnostic measure in the first place.
Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5
I don't think *#7370# will formate your mass memory, You may need to do it by long taping on mass memory (E on your file manager. It will solve your problem, but will introduce something new. You may end up breaking your Ovi Store, Ovi Map, I think you may have already lost some widgets. Repeated re installation of the firmware via ovi suite and installing the maps and ovi store separately may help you as long as you din't try emergency recovery (three key recovery). Best solution is to contact the Nokia care but in case it is not a convenience choice you can try what i suggested.
Thanks for the suggestions guys,
Long tapping the mass memory drive fails to produce a pop up menu. My contacts are backed up so I may as well try the 3 key recovery.
If that fails I'll drop it into the nearest Nokia centre, but it's a long drive
1. I recieved my phone back from the repair centre and the memory works fine now so I guess that issue is solved
2. The phone has exhibited extremely poor WLAN reception since being repaied. Interestingly, the phone has a different bluetooth mac address to when I sent it out . I'll start a new thread on this issue.
3. Installing software updates after getting the phone back was a pain. Upon install I was greeted with a simple: "Installation failed" message
I then deleted temp files via usb as described here:
That didn't resolve the issue...
so I formatted the mass memory (Applications > Office > File Manager > long tap E: drive) and restored to factory settings. Updates then only worked when installing via OVI suite using USB.