Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8-00, Symbian Anna BBC iPlayer clips wi...

Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

Re: Nokia N8-00, Symbian Anna BBC iPlayer clips will not play UNABLE TO GET LICENCE

Hey Gazsmith, Welcome to the Nokia Forums!

When you are using I player on the WiFi is it not having any problems regarding the certificate?

Viewing of the downloaded content with BBC iPlayer may fail in Nokia N8-00, C7-00 and C6-01 after upgrading the device software version from PR1.0 to PR1.1. The problem can be fixed by installing an update component for BBC iPlayer:

• Select Menu > Applications > SW Update and install BBC iPlayer update if available in the software update list.

After the installation of the update component, the downloaded videos can be properly viewed, no re-downloading is needed.

I hope this helps, please get back to me if you manage to resolve the issue or if it persists!

Sheldrick

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

Re: Nokia N8-00, Symbian Anna BBC iPlayer clips will not play UNABLE TO GET LICENCE

Hi Sheldrick. Don't know if you looked closely thru this thread, but most posters as saying the iplayers were working but just suddenly stopped almost overnight. On my N8 this morning, I downloaded 3 programmes, played them via PC then played back on my N8. It did the "processing" thing then only on one did it acquire the license but the other 3 failed. I've done or changed nothing on the phone.
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Dutchieuk

Same for me. All was working fine and overnight it stopped working. Did do a reinstall Anna and 1.1 DRM update to try to fix it but without luck . I only seem to get the video's on my N8 working by going directly to the bbc site and download the files on my PC, run the video so that Media Player can acquire the license and then MOVE not copy, the files to the phone.

Come Nokia don't make me get an iphone!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JB2000

[ Edited ]

Hi Sheldrick,

You, like the BBC, seem to think that this is caused by the Anna upgrade.  It is not. If you read the first post you will see that many of us have upgraded, needed the fix, got the fix and the whole thing worked fine again.

This is a new problem.  I download several programmes every day and know that programmes I downloaded up to and including Thursday 3 Nov work fine.  Everything since then does not.  It's as if the BBC changed something overnight on the 3rd.

There was absolutely no change in the software or settings on my phone between the 3rd and 4th of November.  My Anna upgrade was well before these dates.

Incidentally there is no problem streaming programmes over wi-fi but since I download programmes so I can watch on the move, away from home, (and the only reason I got an N8) that's not much use.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Gilbertd

No idea if this has anything to do with it but I changed the video settings as mentioned in this thread /t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/N8-video-streaming-issue/m-p/1197551#M279003 and BBC iPlayer is now working perfectly.

Personally I suspect it was something at the BBC end of things but I suppose it could have been that ANNA changed these settings causing it to stop working.

Please use plain text.
Tommo_1970

Tried the above but made no difference. :-(
Please use plain text.
Dutchieuk

Changing the 3g bit rate is not going to solve getting a valid certificate via wifi. As Jb2000 I had Anna installed well before this started and before the 3rd of November all was working fine. I did install any updates at all around this time!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Gilbertd

I'm not saying changing the bitrate had any effect but all I've found is that a week ago if I tried to connect my N8 to the BBC iPlayer site I got a message saying "Your phone is not supported". Now it works over both wi-fi and 3G. Changing the bitrate is the only alteration I've done in the meantime, in fact, I've not even connected it to Ovi Suite since then. Something has changed and I suspect it is at the iPlayer end of things and not on my phone.
Please use plain text.
sjcuk

Sod this, nothing works, I've resorted to using get_iplayer. Pain in the butt quite frankly as I have to boot the laptop each time.
Please use plain text.
sjcuk

BTW, the BBC now offer the following advice.....

The problem can be fixed by installing an update component for BBC iPlayer:

Select Menu > Applications > SW Update and install BBC iPlayer update if available in the software update list.

After the installation of the update component, the downloaded videos can be properly viewed, no re-downloading is needed.

Well what can I do if the update is not available????!! Jesus wept.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

[ Edited ]

@sjcuk

What is also crazy is that still works for N95 & 5800XM.

No update either via SW update or Nokia Suite Beta for N8 UK generic firmware!

Do you still have the BBC iPlayer.wgz installed as this allows me to download (although of course can't get license) but not stream content?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
agentsmith

Just got my N8 back from Nokia after a warranty repair on the usb connector.

New board fitted.

BBC iPlayer widget.

Latest sofware etc etc etc

Ran iPlayer, downloaded a programme STILL exactly as in first post.

UNABLE TO GET LICENCE

So it is down to nokia and/or iPlayer to provide a patch/solution

Please no more posts about the update patch from 1.1 to 1.2 WE ALL KNOW THAT, we wouldn't be in this thread if we hadn't tried that.

Frustratingly awaiting a fix

Gaz

Please use plain text.
Advisor
monkeyandweasel

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem.

iPlayer was working fine up until about a couple of weeks ago - not sure of exactly when.

Old iPlayer downloads that I still have on my phone still work OK, but any new downloads say "unable to get licence".

I am able to tranfer to PC, acquire licence, then move downloads back to my phone, but I should not have to do this.

I will email the BBC iPlayer site to moan at them also.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
woodstock555

i've checked and the radio still works, i'm worried that as they just launched the new ipad and android apps there stopping support for Symbian.. this break in services has happened at exactly the same time as there launch
Please use plain text.
Contributor
woodstock555

Ok i tried the iplayer app on my e71, did't stream but then that neither worked well. But it did download and then get the licence and play!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
woodstock555

i'm using a branded n8 from 3. sofware version 022.014 is every one else not on the latest 025. software
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

woodstock555 wrote:
i'm using a branded n8 from 3. sofware version 022.014 is every one else not on the latest 025. software

The .025 isn't available for the UK so .022 is the latest version of Anna for UK handsets.

Ray 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JB2000

Interestingly I can still obtain licences for programmes that I'd downloaded prior to 3 November (after I'd done the software update and got the fix) so it can't be a Nokia failure - it seems more like some change the BBC made.

The BBC is of course rushing to help:

"We have forward your concerns on to the production team responsible for the technical issues of BBC iPlayer.

I do understand that you feel very strongly about this issue, so I'd like to assure you that I've fully registered your concerns. This will be included on feedback reports that are available to personnel responsible for maintaining and improving the BBC iPlayer service.

These reports are viewed as important documents that can help shape decisions on future aspects of BBC iPlayer.

We hope to have this resolved as soon as possible."

Really - do they really think that 18 days with no fix is 'as soon as possible'?  I don't want to shape the future I want a solution.  How often do they writre feedback reports and what does 'are available' mean?  Possibly that it sits in their inbox until they can be bothered to read it?  If a channel fell off the air or the website went down I somehow think they wouldn't take three weeks to sort it out.  iPlayer is part of the licence fee and how I watch almost all TV - will I be getting a refund for lack of service???????!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
n97er

I seem to have the same problem on my Nokia E7 'unable to get license'  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
fuzzyf

Have been following these threads, for the last week or so with interest. I have experienced similar to what others have already documented.

I have an unlocked N8 but haven't updated to Anna as of yet( won't bore here, just don't like the look of it!) and it would appear that this will not solve anything as its an iplayer problem.

Have noticed today that on iplayer website, it now mentions that this is now "a known issue.........."

Fingers crossed things will change

Please use plain text.