Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Nokia N8-00, Symbian Anna BBC iPlayer clips wi...

Counsellor
sivhead

Re: Nokia N8-00, Symbian Anna BBC iPlayer clips will not play UNABLE TO GET LICENCE

can someone upload the 12k file somewhere, please I dont have access to Anna at the moment to get the update.
Contributor
ColinBarclay999

Re: Nokia N8-00, Symbian Anna BBC iPlayer clips will not play UNABLE TO GET LICENCE

Please help me, I still cannot get BBC iPlayer to work on my N8, as things are at the moment I have installed Symbian Anna, and I have installed the recent fix mentioned in this post.My N8 was purchased Dec 2010 and had iPlayer pre-installed, I have never been able to get it to work, when trying to access a stream on iPlayer I always get a message stating "Please switch to a wi-fi connection to play this programme. 3G Streaming of BBC iPlayer programmes is not currently available for this handset". My 3g Signal from my provider T-Mobile is excellent strength. 

Professor
greycounciller

[ Edited ]

@Colinnbarclay999

Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to tell you iPlayer only works via wifi on the N8.
Have you not tried that yet?

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Registered Member
judie88

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/mobile_iplayer/mobile_phone

see link - N8 supports iplayer over 3g.  I'm on 02 and can confirm it works.

Professor
greycounciller

This is what I get when I try on T-mobile in NW London with a 3g signal.

I glad it works for some via 3g.

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

3G not supported for me either on Virgin/T-Mobile network.

Ray. 

Sage
Jaff0

judie88 wrote:

Has that changed, then? I'm sure I can remember looking at that table and seeing the N8 with a couple of other handsets that wouldn't do iplayer over 3G?

Sage
Jaff0

Jaff0 wrote:

judie88 wrote:

Has that changed, then? I'm sure I can remember looking at that table and seeing the N8 with a couple of other handsets that wouldn't do iplayer over 3G?

Just checked, and I get the message to switch to a WiFi connection once I actually try and view a programme.

Then noticed Ray's comment:-

"3G not supported for me either on Virgin/T-Mobile network."

which explains it, then.

Advisor
JB2000

That whole table is new. However it's also wrong. If you try it on an N8 it says that streaming over 3G is not available for this handset on any network.

Needless to say it also says you can download for later viewing which as we all know is still not possible because the fix is still not available - which reminds me, today is the 2 month anniversary of it not working.
Contributor
ColinBarclay999

Thanks, I had reviewed that link previously, if you are streaming on O2 then the issue must be with T Mobile

Contributor
ColinBarclay999

Thanks for the prompt relies everyone, it would appear that despite what the BBC website states ie that 3G streaming is available for the N8 this is in fact not the case, certainly for Virgin & T-Mobile networks, despite the update recently made available via OVI store. So is the problem with the networks or BBC, please can we have a "real reolution"

Counsellor
fuzzyf

Am I right in thinking some people have a fix? I still do not.

Just checked for the 50th time in ovi suite and no update appears. 

I'm still unable to watch any downloaded bbc iplayer programmes.

My washing machine is still leaking

Mobile Guru
93tid

fuzzyf wrote:

Am I right in thinking some people have a fix? 

Yes, you are right. The patch is available both via Nokia Suite and Nokia Software Updater, it showed up for my C7, E7 and N8 and successfully installed and working on all 3 handsets, which are on generic (non-branded) UK product codes. I would recommend using NSU, since that gives you the option to select only that update. Nokia Suite forced me to re-install the parts of the Anna 2/2 update which I had removed from handset (MS Communicator, Shazam and some other rubbish).

Counsellor
fuzzyf

Thanks for the reply. In fact I have not updated to Anna at all yet, which does appear in my update list but nothing else. Looks like I will have to update to Anna and then see if the bbc iplayer plug-in appears on the update list.

Thanks again, Jim

Contributor
Lowri

I'm having this problem too and it's really annoying!

Just to be awkward, I don't have anna (and I don't really want to, "if it ain't broke etc...")

I also don't have the nokia software (ovi suite thingy) because it slowed my computer to a crawl and kept crashing.

The update hasn't appeared on my phone yet.

Anything I can do?

Sage
Jaff0

Lowri wrote:

I'm having this problem too and it's really annoying!

Just to be awkward, I don't have anna (and I don't really want to, "if it ain't broke etc...")

I also don't have the nokia software (ovi suite thingy) because it slowed my computer to a crawl and kept crashing.

The update hasn't appeared on my phone yet.

Anything I can do?

I suspect you're stuffed, then.

At least for me, it never showed up as an OTA upgrade / update. Only through nokia suite (didn't check nokia software updater - maybe possible through that).

That said, I suspect it'll only be available if you're running Anna, BICBW.

Counsellor
fuzzyf

Lowri

I've come to the conculsion Anna will have to be uploaded onto my phone and hope this will work, but I was hoping this wouldn't be needed.

Even with Nokia suite on my computer the iplayer plugin isn't there. I'm hoping it will appear once I've updated.......................Sill reluctant to do this though

Has ANYONE got it working without Anna on their phone?

Jim

Contributor
blackbird106

So the fix exists somewhere? Why haven't Nokia/BBC sorted this. Ridiculous. Fix doesn't appear on my C7  through Nokia |Ovi Suite or Software Updfate. As far as I'm aware my phone is fully up to date. I have Symbian Anna and no further updates availaible. Can anyone help steer me in the right direction to find it? 

Counsellor
fuzzyf

WORKING!

Ok, I finally got round to putting Anna onto the phone. When it had finished updating a load more updates appeared in the list, including the iplayer plug-in. I installed it.

Have checked to see if it works by downloading a new programme. It now works like before. It has also, like others report found the licence for a programme previously downloaded that wasn't working!

Thanks for all posts, its helped in the decision making progress. Still not sure about anna interface, but there you go.

I have also found out where the washing machine is leaking from!!

Contributor
Lowri

Hi fuzzyf,
Glad to hear you've got it working but I really really don't want to install anna, I've just got used to this phone and I don't want to make anything worse just because Nokia says it's better (e.g. I like portrait numerical keyboards, qwerty is far too small).

If anyone from Nokia is watching, please please please make the fix available for non anna users. I'll even give the pc software another go!