Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Nokia N8-00 keeps turning off.

Advisor
Greig

Nokia N8-00 keeps turning off.

My new N8 keeps turning itself off, it hangs shortly after almost any app is started. ovimaps, music, radio transmitter...  I don't know what to do about it, it takes some time before it becomes responsive again and I can turn it back on, Is there away to hard reset it? should i do this? i've tried restoring factory settings.. no effect.

Mobile Overlord
farby

I have read posts for similar problems on other models, where the main workable solution seems to be upgrading the firmware. But in your case that will not fit at all as N8 is just launched a few days back..

One interesting solution post I came thru' is /t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/my-nokia-5800-turns-off-automatically-in-my-pocket/m-p/396859/highli... 

Just wait for some more posts giving other remedies and see what is best..

As a final go I would advise you to contact dealer for a replacement if you can...

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Mobile Guru
phonehacker

usually SIM causes reboot problem on new devices. try replacing your SIM.

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Advisor
Greig

Just to clarify whether there is a sim card in it or not. It crashes every few hours, whilst starting or running some app. 

It now appears to be in the off state, with no lights showing, and has been this way since crashing more than 6hours ago whilst playing need for speed shift, but won't respond to any button presses. so frustrating..

Mobile Overlord
farby

Did you check the link in my earlier post ??

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Counsellor
tabasco

The N8 doesn't have an accessible battery.
Advisor
Greig

Yes I did check your link, as stated by the user above the N8 battery is not removable. 

The phone won't power on, when connected to USB, or mains power, and it won't respond to any button presses.. 

however when I plug it in to the computer and watch the devices pane, in windows xp, I can see it for a split second "+Wireless Device" , "Nokia ...something then as soon as that it's gone...

I'm sick of it already an all round terrible user experience. So frustrating not to be able to reset it.

Professor
bazyeo

@Greig.

Have you bothered to do your homework and read the user manual. Because if you had you would find on page 109 of the on line manual it tells you how to reset your N8.

To reboot your device press the power button for about 8 seconds. The phone vibrates for about 3 times and switches off.

If you have not read the user manual then I suggest you do so before criticising the device/manufacturer.  There is no substitute for doing your research/homework and reading the online manual and the faq's on the website.

Advisor
Greig

I was well aware of how to reboot the device, I was not asking how to reboot it. I was asking how to hard reset it, sometimes called deep resetting, where by you can completely format phone memory. Default files are cleaned up and rewritten using a few key presses normally  *#7370# when the phone is on. And what would be the wisdom in doing this.  

How exactly you expect me to be able to power cycle the phone by holding the power button, when I have already stated that the phone is completely unresponsive to button presses I don't know. 

This phone is still hanging and turning itself off, and still takes hours before it can be switched back on, due to there being no reset button, and no option to remove the battery. I've had no reply from Nokia support, or the company who supplied the phone. 

I will try to take it in to the nokia service centre on Monday, but so far this has been a terrible experience.

Contributor
mintedmoose

I started having that problem this morning. i was playing a game then a message popped up saying "phone will restart" it restarted and then it seemed to be ok.

This evening i sent a picture message to 2 people at which point it turned off and now it wont turn back on again.

i have tried turning it on it vibrates once but does nothing else. I tried holding the power button for 8 seconds and it vibrates 3 times and does nothing else. i then scoured the internet for another solution and found a four finger salute. press the menu button, camera button, volume down button and the power key but still that does nothing.

i am very dissapointed!

Advisor
rey127

that makes me very nervous now to buy the N8.  I had the same issue with my Nokia N95 until it was very constant (shutting down on its own). i didn't find a solution for it and bought another phone instead until the N8 comes out.  So if the N8 is doing the same thing then it definitely isn't the device but their software.

Sage
branu

you should return your phone and have a new one...

Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

i have had issues with a couple of my e90's in the past and 1 e71 i had where even though they were new, i just reinstalled the firmware over again from the NSU (then) and then immediately after the reinstall, i would do a factory reset with the 3 button, and it worked fine.

for some reason they had an internet browser issue and random shutdowns like you state....

doing that seemed to fix it.

i hope it does for you.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Contributor
mintedmoose

unfortunatly it wont work since my phone wont even turn on. took it to a carphone warehouse repair point today and they wont touch it since it hasnt been released in the UK yet. so all i can do is get ups to pick it up take to nokia and then wait for them to return it.

Registered Member
Bodmister

Locknut.B is a malicious SIS file trojan that pretends to be patch for Symbian S60 mobile phones. When installed, it drops a binary that will crash a critical system service component. This will prevent any application from being launched in the phone.

(maybe a possibility)

However no need to worry check the below how to hard reset the phone :smileyhappy:

http://mynokiablog.com/2010/10/12/how-to-hard-reset-your-nokia-n8/

Professor
flagpole

bazyeo wrote:

@Greig.

Have you bothered to do your homework and read the user manual. Because if you had you would find on page 109 of the on line manual it tells you how to reset your N8.

To reboot your device press the power button for about 8 seconds. The phone vibrates for about 3 times and switches off.

If you have not read the user manual then I suggest you do so before criticising the device/manufacturer.  There is no substitute for doing your research/homework and reading the online manual and the faq's on the website.

That's the most bizarre criticism of a user i have ever seen. The phone crashes and you blame the user for not having read page 109 of the manual as to how to recover from the crash.

there are at least two salient points that you miss there.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)

Hi All,

Please bear in mind that this is a peer-to-peer troubleshooting and support forum. Please avoid causing an argument and show some respect towards other users.

Kind regards

Sage
Architengi

Hi all, :smileyhappy:

I saw on other site, nokiaexperts about the issue of "N8 freezes and restarting by itself" on comments from users, and I want to ask people who got the N8 already if this issue of self-restarting was encountered or it works fine for you.

Here is the link were users complain about hanging / freezing and self restarting:

http://nokiaexperts.com/preordered-nokia-n8-arrived-dark-gray/#comments

Please tell me if this is happening for you or not.

Thank you,

ArchitEngi

--------- Please give feedback by clicking the white star on green box on the left side. Thank you. -------------
Professor
vvaino

Hello,

It has not happened to me. As said here before,
the reason could be so simple as a user`s little
too old sim card.

There is not any big problems with N8, so do not
worry.

-vvaino
#SwitchToLumia
Advisor
Greig

It could be the sim card, on the other hand, my phone doesn't even have a sim card in it, and won't even turn on.