Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia N8-00 keeps turning off.

Sage
Architengi

Re: Nokia N8-00 keeps turning off.

I know the solution. It's innovatory and it works!

1. Press menu (front button) + volume down button + camera button + power key pressed until the phone buzzez for 3 times

2. Press the menu button hard for more than 10 seconds, until the phone snores 3 times

3. Put now the phone on a plate under 1 cm of tap water for 30 seconds

4. Put the phone to dry in microwave for 8 seconds. Warning: no more than 8 seconds!

5. Press the power button for 3 seconds and the phone will display bubble theme on fire screen of death. The text on the screen should read: Don't let the kids play with your phone. And be warned that the above instructions should be done under a Nokia representative supervision. 

--------- Please give feedback by clicking the white star on green box on the left side. Thank you. -------------
Sage
m80116

If you manage to wait until the battery depletes you can try the "three finger trick". But as the phone could remained locked in a low consumption state it may require too much time to wait. Maybe it would be wiser to get a suitable screwdriver and do the job, the battery is just 1 or 2 screw away.

Read more here
blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/sittiphol-phanvilais-forum-nokia-blog/2010/10/11/how-to-full-format-your-bricked-n8
Sage
Architengi

Hi all, :smileyhappy:

I want to ask people who got the N8 already if this issue of self-restarting was encountered or it works fine for you.

I saw on other site, nokiaexperts about the issue of "N8 freezes and restarting by itself" on comments from users:

• pdiroquois: My N8 phone is sluggish and freezing constantly. I actually had an incoming call and the phone was so slow to respond to my tapping the answer key over and over that the call was missed. Rebooting does no good and no matter what I’m doing (maps, phone calls, closing apps, etc) it freezes or goes to a blank screen or takes at least 30 seconds to respond.

• hangups with the touch screen not recognizing my finger

• rebooted itself FOUR times already

Here is the link were users complain about hanging / freezing and self restarting:

http://nokiaexperts.com/preordered-nokia-n8-arrived-dark-gray/#comments

Please tell me if this is happening for you or not.

Thank you,

ArchitEngi

--------- Please give feedback by clicking the white star on green box on the left side. Thank you. -------------
Sage
Architengi

If any of you encountered freeze / hang or self-restart / self-reboot on N8 please let us know how this happened.

The problem could be a specific application that causes the issue or a problem with the OS memory management. This is why we need your reports here.

This is another story of N8 freeze and what to do if N8 freezes:

http://www.nokian8software.com/what-to-do-when-nokia-n8-freeze-not-responding-to-anything/

Thank you,

Architengi

Registered Member
samarth

For all those Nokia N8 users who are experiancing hanging and other restart related problems here is a tip. N8 battery does not come out.. there is no manual reset button. if u r stuck you have to wait fir the phone to discharge when no button work.

HERE IS A TIP

GO TO MENU>SETTINGS>PHONE>LANUAGE>PHONE LANUAGE> SELECT AUTOMATIC ( IF ITS ALREDY AUTOMATIC THEN SELECT ENGLISH OR YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE ) PHONE WILL ASK FOR A RESTART PRESS OK .. PHONE WILL RESTART ON ITS OWN AND EVERYTHING WILL BE WORKING INCLUDING ALL BUTTONS.. NO NEED TO GO TO NOKIA CARE AND WAIT FOR HOURS....

GOOD LUCK GUYS HANG ON TO THE PHONE WITH FEW FIRMWARE UPDATES IN THE FUTURE HANGING PROBLEM WILL GO.

SAMARTH

Professor
childofthewo_mj

OMG. Another reason not to buy the Nokia N8. Does Nokia hire good enough testers so all the bugs and problems are gone before they ship the product? This sounds like the N97 Nightmare.

Sunny33

Re: Nokia N8-00 turned dead

hi,

i am further disappointed in knowing there are so many similar problems . 

my radio transmitter was on , the battery was normal and it just went dead no response to any of the methods in the manual. it just happened 2hrs ago.

i guess n8 is heading towards its failure.

i do not think Nokia is worried about its customers and image, it got us to prebook a phone which is all filled with false packages of promises made by them. 

I guess even a replacement wont do good as it would be the similar case in few days.

Professor
childofthewo_mj

Sounds like the N97 all over again. OMG. Please tell me this is not the case. If this is, goodbye Nokia. I had to trash my N97, because it died on me... with a "cannot resuscitate" status so it is sleeping in a box and buried forever in my pile of expensive non-functional devices!

Sage
Architengi

[ Edited ]

In all the reviews I read on blogs / technical sites, there is no report of freezing or hanging or self-rebooting.

Some reviews were made after using the phone for more than a week, and still no issues.

Many user commenters in forums say they didn't see any freeze.

My conclusion is the incidents with Symbian^3 / N8 freezing reported here and there are not many and could be because of some weird hardware issues with those phones...

/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/N8-mixed-feelings-anyone-else/td-p/772422

What is your opinion?

Advisor
BeerParon

I have the same problem, N8 just keeps booting itself totally randomly. It happend for the first time on the day I got it, before i had even installed any apps or games. I Have also tried to reinstall the firmware, hold down the power key for 8 seconds, hard reset and used the phone without sim card and memory card.

So far nothing has worked.. Maybe a hardware problem?

Sage
Architengi

[ Edited ]

These problems with N8 restarting / rebooting / turning off (or just freezing/hanging) with no new software installed on it, just with what N8 comes out-of-the-box, are very scary because there might be a defective Symbian^3 OS driver that simply hangs the phone. 

Please report here if you encounter the hanging / restarting and if yes:

• What applications have you installed on N8 and on what application happens the freeze?
  • if no new applications, are you using Wi-Fi (when the restart happens)?
  • If you are using WI-FI, are you using WEP or WPA or WPA2?
  • If you are using 3G / Edge for connection (when the freeze happens).
  • If you had the USB connected to any device (at the moment of hanging).

These problems with the hanging / the freeze / the auto-restart 

need to be investigated so your feedback counts!

Thank you,

Architengi

Advisor
BeerParon

[ Edited ]

The phone might restart pretty much at anytime, while im browsing photos, browsing the net, reading the user guide on the phone.. So I'm not always using WI-FI or any of my installed apps when it restarts and it also restarts even without the sim card, so the connection type shouldn't matter either. The phone hasn't restarted while USB connected but then again I have not used that so much. Maybe my phones mass memory has some issues?

Also, the phone never actually freezes, it just freezes for a few seconds and then the restarting happends.

Advisor
Riddhi_K

I've had the phone for 4 days now and have put it through intense usage (nfs shift, constant email checking, gps navigation, image editing, FM transmitting, video recording...)... I havent had any such issue yet, nor do I know anybody who has yet. The phone has been in India for a week now, and the two or three people in my circle who got it havent yetf aced any issues...

I'll update this post if I start facing this issue, or I get to know anyone who does.

Mobile Guru
synth_fg

As has been said elsewhere its not a universal problem but rather one affecting a few handsets

options

1) change sim

2) remove memory card

3) hard reset phone

4) take to nokia care point for warenty repair

erstone

My N8 died when i were playing Odesys's Backgammon 3.0, and i haven't got i on ever since.

It was only 6 days old :smileysad:

I hav tryed everything:

long menubutton

long powerbutton

volume down+camera+menu and power

Nothing can bring it to live again.

I hav to send it back to the dealer, and wait several weeks for a new one :smileymad:

But, when it was working, i were very satisfied whit it.

Counsellor

No problem like this has been found on my phone yet. However, I am still in the process of 'warming the battery up', (depleting the battery then doing a full 12 hour charge as the battery is still new etc.)

Counsellor
DrTech

I got the N8
Unfortunately it works well until I insert a SIM card(New or Old)
It then keeps restarting and then goes off
send it to Nokia service and still waiting
errrrrr :smileysad:
Sage

My N8 works perfectly! I have NO issues!

Until Nokia doesn't have a clue if Qt works or not after a hard reset i wouldn't do so!!

If you device cannot be turned on try removing the battery -> http://thenokiablog.com/2010/07/05/nokia-n8-how-to-replace-battery/

You have to follow the guide precisely!

Nokia Bug Tracking System @ http://dev.an3k.de/bugtracker/
Professor
vvaino

Hmm,

Is there something little too much up there?

-vvaino

#SwitchToLumia
Sage
Architengi

It seems there are reports from many users that N8 restarts by itself or hangs.

The press around the world points now to a "hate N8 blog" created by a disappointed user:

Furious Nokia N8 owner documents its failures in excruciating detail

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/furious-nokia-n8-owner-documents-its-failures-in-excruciating-detail...

The blog is here if are an N8 user and you want to read it:

http://n8fail.tumblr.com/

What is interesting is that most of the "fuming" is about some UI / UX / usability. Basically, the user is not talking about phone hanging or freezing or restarting by itself. I would say most of his posts are valid that the UX needs some improvements, but on the other hand I find his posts as an exaggeration.