Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 Amoled Colour Display Problem

Mobile Guru
93tid

synth_fg wrote:

Nokia has already admitted a problem with a batch of Samsung provided AMOLED screens,take your phone to a care point and the screem will be replaced under warenty

Can you please provide a link or more details about this official admission ? Our experience is exactly the opposite - whole threads on the subject have been deleted from this very forum and members banned for posting them. The same situation is with NCC in different parts of the world - from the US to India and Australia the attitude is "your screen is fine, look at all the others we have in the shop they're all the same". Even in the UK where Nokia have tacitly admitted the issue exists in private dealings with more persistent customers we have several cases of two or even three consecutive replacements showing the same screen problem.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Battlebird

Yeah Nokia said the NCCs would know about the issue, but it looks like NCCs are not aware of the Problem and therefore are sending customers   with the issue home because the Display looks the same as the (mostly also faulty) ones they have in store. Nokia needs to send an offical Serviceadvise to all its NCCs so they know about the Problem. Nokia also needs to check its stock of Displays because even replaced Displays show the issue.  I think they must contact their suppliers and assure that they get perfect Displays and not faulty ones.

Please use plain text.
Sage
cooldudsubho

@ Smith Can you plz provide us that link where nokia has admitted this.But i think you are just trolling.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Go find the large thread on the topic

Michaels posted in there

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

synth_fg wrote:

Go find the large thread on the topic

Michaels posted in there

Thanks for the helpful advice. I've just spent an hour looking through all threads about problems with N8 (and C7) displays and I cannot find such a statement from Michaels or any other moderator. Therefore it would be really appreciated if you would go to the trouble of posting the link to the thread you mentioned.

This is closest I could find but there is no mention of problems with a specific batch of Samsung - supplied AMOLED displays.

/t5/Cseries/Nokia-C7-Display-Defect/td-p/912183/page/2

Please use plain text.
nightmare91

its true. i have this problem also. but this is not something that is uncommon in AMOLED displays. increasing the brightness does solve the issue. The reason why its too prominent in nokia is that when i checked it on a Samsung Galaxy phone, the phone automatically increases the brightness when a video is played and turns it back down when the video is stopped, while nokia keeps it on the same brightness settings.

if nokia could bring a software update to increase brightness during video playback, it would resolve the issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Achmat

The thread where Nokia admitted to being aware of the problem was first edit and then subsequently deleted and the op banned for two days.

Just because you cannot find the post any more doesnt mean it didnt exist.

Buxz777 has had four complete threads deleted and was then banned for two days.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

nightmare91 wrote:

its true. i have this problem also. but this is not something that is uncommon in AMOLED displays. increasing the brightness does solve the issue.

if nokia could bring a software update to increase brightness during video playback, it would resolve the issue.

Increasing the brightness definitely does not resolve the issue, it only masks it slightly. Handsets which do not have this problem do not show the purple tint regardless of brightness setting. Therefore it is a hardware defect of the display.

Please use plain text.
nightmare91

[ Edited ]

93tid:

yup. its true and ive pretty much realised it myself after using the gradient test images. im just gonna contact nokia then and see what they have to say. i mean if they make a smartphone with such cool features, it must be perfect. this issue just ruins the whole awesomeness. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

Achmat wrote:

The thread where Nokia admitted to being aware of the problem was first edit and then subsequently deleted and the op banned for two days.

Just because you cannot find the post any more doesnt mean it didnt exist.

Buxz777 has had four complete threads deleted and was then banned for two days.

Why do you think I am pushing synth to provide a link to this admission ? Because I am fully aware of what has been going on here and have no intention of letting him dismiss it so lightly.

Please use plain text.
nightmare91

i just wanted to let you guys know that i got my n8 replaced and it is much better than the previous one, it still has the problem but only if you concentrate completely into the colours. the purple colour is not as prominent as it was in the previous one, which i noticed something wrong as soon as i got it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sebaswebdev

While it is true that black levels on an AMOLED screen do tend to suffer from a slight purple or magenta coloration, no display should exhibit high amounts of it. 

I'm having this display issue as well and the amount of purple coloration or tint on my screen is in fact pretty high.

The screen looks the most purple under low lighting conditions when the light sensor dims the screen, some graphical elements (buttons, wallpapers, etc.) or themes ( Nokia or 3rd party) appear purple regardless of the lighting condition.

The display is either defective or Nokia didn't or doesn't calibrate the color profile or gamma and the light sensor appropriately so they work in harmony.

While testing, I also found that Need for Speed Shift (NFS) exhibits excessive purple coloration, regardless of lighting condition. When plugged through HDMI, the source also exhibits purple coloration. Tested on computer monitor with HDMI connection, projector, and HDTV.

I just bought this phone unlocked and it was not cheap. We, us users experiencing these issues deserve to get what we paid for, nothing less.

Please use plain text.
aphrodi10

i am also having the same pblm still 10 days to my warranty..

Please use plain text.