Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 Amoled Colour Display Problem

Advisor

Nokia N8 Amoled Colour Display Problem

Hello you all!

I have a problem with my display and i need you. In this post i will give you some test images and my samples so you will see what i mean!

I have problem with dark colour, if it is dark it is ok, and then if it is less dark then it appears violet. That is really anoying when watching movies when the movie is dark it is all violet and wierd colours. Example when you watch tron trailer whitc is uploaded on telephone and the colours are like it were be in 16bit colour (like in windows)

And another thing. When i start QTorch app in deafult menu of the app it is not dark it is violet around the qtorch logo and ON button! It souppouse to be black around those logo and on button!

Sorry for my bad english and the pictures are not brilliant quality but it show the point!

If yo will please tell me if you have same problem. 

I went to Nokia Care Center and they tell me that this is normal, but for me it is not normal, because n8 is a flagship of nokia and they are not allowed to do such a mistake. I am really disappointed!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Here are few images and test image!

Those squares are from dark black to grey, but in the middle on my phone are violet. But it have to be black!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ghostinv

i have the exact same problem and some others too. there are 2 other topics about this:

/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/My-new-Nokia-n8-screen-show-redist-color/m-p/864943/highlight/true#M...

and 

/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/N8-AMOLED-Problem/td-p/831057/highlight/false

Nokia 8890
Nokia N73
Nokia N8 Dark Grey
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nisses

How can they even say that this is normal!?
I have returned 2 N8's already, third one is coming in a couple of days becasue of this problem!
if it has the same problem, then WOOOW.
I really want to like the phone, but when watching movies on it and thinking that my 5 year old sony ericsson phone can do it better, then it's just bad.

I really, really hope the next one will have no problems at all, if it does I will probably just get a HTC desire or just stick with my old **bleep** mobile phone.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

So what am i suppose to do now. It is really annoying that i bought this phone for 500€ and now i have bad display witch NCC do not want to replace (yes they said that they replaced my display and it was the same result, and they tried on other nokia n8 and it was the same).

So what should i do? I am really disappointed and angry.

Please use plain text.
btopalhan

Hi. i have a trouble but i dont know that is a problem or not. there are too many transparent dots on my display.it looks like any square thing but it doesnt have edge and dots are located on corners this edgeless squares. especially dots appear while screen background is white. and screen back ground is black and keylock is active and there is a sunshine or something like that, appears 45 degrees angular scratches that passing through this dots. is this a problem or what.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

:squint: It's a part of touch screen magic. Nothing wrong with you screen.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerusm

Also having this problem on my C7... it's as if the display is having problem rendering gradients of black properly... 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerusm

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ch4dwick

[ Edited ]

I believe the correct term for this is "post-processing". It's a capability in some decent video players to be able to cleanly render gradients across the screen .

The purple thing I also believe is a problem but the gradients and some pixelized effects are more on hardware.

What did you expect from a mobile device? That it plays FullHD quality like one of those Samsung/Sony players? Hell, no!

You are not alone. A cheap DVD player will show those boxy edges while playing the same video on a PS3 almost completely eliminates these flaws.

Also, you'd also have to deal with the source video. One of those poorly encoded videos also show those boxy things. I'm still in the middle of getting 720p videos to try and see if there's a difference.

I believe you guys already knew what you were getting when you bought this product.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ch4dwick

For what it's worth I also downloaded that gradient image from one of the threads. It turns violet on the shade just before black.
Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

i think the picture below demonstrates the problem clearly.

mine does not have this problem. but if it did i would take it back.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Sage
cooldudsubho

[ Edited ]

@flag dude can you post a pic of how that gradient looks in your phone?I will keep the pic as a proof.

Please use plain text.
Professor
flagpole

i can't really get a good picture as well, i'd normally use the camera on my phone. in reality the display looks completely monochrome.

There's no dignity in begging for kudos. Do it for the karma.
Please use plain text.
Sage
cooldudsubho

In my phone everything lokks normal except for the last bar which apperrs red.I have circled that area.

Please use plain text.
porchezhian

i also facing this kind of issue(dark colours are in purple)....i contact with nokia care ...they don't even understood and they are tying to teach me that, this is not a problem this is a colour effect caused in N8..

i really feedup about this issue...

Please use plain text.
porchezhian

me too having this same problem .. nokia will take care this issue or  other wise nokia will have to face serious things from customer side, we spend more money on thisbut there is no worth for it ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kundanraj

yes guys m also suffering from this purpe tint problem from 1st day. its really very annoying while watch movies or video songs. why nokia is not taking any action for this problem?? plz nokia do something....

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hotmixer2010

Anybody noticed that Nokia have blocked an entire topic on this forum regarding this issue?

Awesome service standards.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

kundanraj wrote:

yes guys m also suffering from this purpe tint problem from 1st day. its really very annoying while watch movies or video songs. why nokia is not taking any action for this problem?? plz nokia do something....

Nokia has already admitted a problem with a batch of Samsung provided AMOLED screens,

take your phone to a care point and the screem will be replaced under warenty

Please use plain text.