Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 Battery Life Problem

Counsellor
neilrossgoco

Nokia N8 Battery Life Problem

Hi,

The battery of my N8 is so short that I even need to charge it everyday. I don't fully discharge it though. If it drops to 1-2 bars, I'll charge it immediately and after getting full, I'll remove the charger and after one day, same process. Why is that so? :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: Nokia N8 Battery Life Problem

I have to charge mine twice a day compared to once a day with the X6. If your a heavy user then daily charging will be normal. Look at the N8 battery life thread, theres some info there which may help.
Please use plain text.
Sage
tribalmasters

Use the Nokia mains charger for best results and discharge the battery, power off the phone and wait until fully charged to calibrate the battery!

Good luck!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I imagine like me that most people are using their N8s far more in the first couple of weeks than in 'normal' useage. That said, even with heavy useage (phone calls, email, watching entire tv programes and obsessively playing Angry Birds) I'm comforatably getting a days full use out of it without a problem.

Please use plain text.
Sage
tribalmasters

I'm getting 3 days, I hardly used it yesterday and today the bars are still full!!  Maybe I will get 4 or 5 days this time!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
EdgeFx1

the 3g kills the battery really fast, wen i shut it off and stayed using gsm i find the battery to be super long lasting

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
talasila

I bought nokia N8 a week ago.

I have to charge it everyday..

False claim by nokia that it has good battery life.

The worst phopne I have ever had...

Please use plain text.
Sage
blue_crim

i used mine on average of 6hrs using music player plus 30 minutes or so while playing angry birds, couple of texting and emails. still at 50% at the end of the day.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
leej0022

I use my N8 for checking mails, reading news, surfing websites, playing games and chatting, the life is about 1 dayHave to charge my hp everyday. So far i think it is reasonable. But i do hope that there is an application of software update to reduce power consumption. When the phone is in 3G mode, it really kills the batt.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
McKee

Use "Activate Power Saving" How? Press the battery icon and select "Activate Power Saving".
Please use plain text.
dreamcaster

I may have found a way to improve the battery life, well it worked for me. Here is what I did, ran the the n8 right down until it switched off, then I charged it up until it had finished charging. I then pulled the charging pug out then reconnected it again, the N8 started charging for around another 10 mins and stopped charging, then I repeated pulling out the plug and reconnecting it after about 10 secs, did this process for another hour, the N8 charging time was getting less everytime,  it's charging time after me repeating this was down to 1 mim... result of that process I got 5 days out of my battery and it is still going on 10% now. I made calls and used the internet in the five days on a full charge, will do this again, then try a standard charge, to see how long the battery lasts.

Hope this helps you guys

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
abhishek046

The nokia officials have announced tht some N8 do have a battery problem due to which d phone shuts of and cant be restarted. Dey say its due to inefficient battery discharge or somethin. Dey will soon be replacing these ones.
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

dreamcaster wrote:

I may have found a way to improve the battery life, well it worked for me. Here is what I did, ran the the n8 right down until it switched off, then I charged it up until it had finished charging. I then pulled the charging pug out then reconnected it again, the N8 started charging for around another 10 mins and stopped charging, then I repeated pulling out the plug and reconnecting it after about 10 secs, did this process for another hour, the N8 charging time was getting less everytime,  it's charging time after me repeating this was down to 1 mim... result of that process I got 5 days out of my battery and it is still going on 10% now. I made calls and used the internet in the five days on a full charge, will do this again, then try a standard charge, to see how long the battery lasts.

Hope this helps you guys

:smileyhappy:

Hi there,

I've been struggling with my N8's battery life time, pretty much since I got it...

I tried your "technique", but it did not show any results on my phone...

If you found this post helpful, please click the green button. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Creepy

Day three for me, on it now and still 40% left.
Please use plain text.
Sage

It's the 3G. When at home or within Wifi range, just switch to GSM instead of dual mode and also set your connectivity settings to WLAN only instead of Always Ask. This will kill the Cellular Data connection.

I fully charged my N8 at 7PM last night, at 5:30AM (didn't use it at all but 3G was on) it died.

I hate to say this but the battery is worse than my iPhone 3Gs.

Is there an app that will make it easy to switch of the Cellular Data in the N8? (SPB Shell for example?) I might buy that if it has that functionality. The iPhone (Jailbroken) have a neat Free utility called SBSettings that I can use to toggle off all sorts of things (BT, Wifi, 3G/EDGE). Wish something similar is available for the N8. I'd pay for the app.
Please use plain text.
Sage
lanita

azraeil wrote:
It's the 3G. When at home or within Wifi range, just switch to GSM instead of dual mode and also set your connectivity settings to WLAN only instead of Always Ask. This will kill the Cellular Data connection.

I fully charged my N8 at 7PM last night, at 5:30AM (didn't use it at all but 3G was on) it died.

I hate to say this but the battery is worse than my iPhone 3Gs.

Is there an app that will make it easy to switch of the Cellular Data in the N8? (SPB Shell for example?) I might buy that if it has that functionality. The iPhone (Jailbroken) have a neat Free utility called SBSettings that I can use to toggle off all sorts of things (BT, Wifi, 3G/EDGE). Wish something similar is available for the N8. I'd pay for the app.
In my case, it is not the 3G...

I've been using GSM only for more than a week, and my battery life hasn't improved.

I've tried all the suggestions made, and at this point, I've got everything switched off and still no improvement in the battery life time...

Desperation is starting to get the better of me...

If you found this post helpful, please click the green button. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
diprotodon

I have found that my MS-Exchange email is killing my battery.  Despite my changing of the settings so that it will only poll email during peak times once every 12 hours, it continuously sucks down that data and juice.  Am about to make all times off-peak.  Battery worked a treat on weekends.

We need an update from Nokia to fix this, so that the instructions entered into the settings actually mean something - when I say every 12 hours, that doesn't mean every 12 seconds!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
williamchoo

I had the same problem until lately I've realised a few things that drains the battery of my N8:

1. 3G --> switch it to GSM

2. Automatic Wifi scanning --> switch it off!! Go to menu | settings | connectivity | WLAN | Options | Settings | Show WLAN availability to Never |

3. Widgets on home screen --> switch to offline mode

4. Your mail synchronization! --> I rarely use this so I turned off the synchronization retrieval days to none at all!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RemcoP

I had the same problem. My battery lasts only for a half a day. So I decided to reset the factory settings and put back only the non Nokia software I really need (Spotify and Sports Tracker). Now my battery functions normally again and lasts several days until I have to recharge again!

Please use plain text.
Asus11102

All day playing music ....still full to it is capacity  90% . so far so good .

if you are not using Wifi ...turn it off + turn widgets to offline mode + use only GSM + bluetooth gps off +

Please use plain text.