Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8/Belle question about WI-FI

Advisor
varfolomey
Accepted Solution

Nokia N8/Belle question about WI-FI

I just updated to Belle and have a question.

If WI-FI is on does it mean it always scanning for available networks and drains battery?

There was a setting in Anna to disable scanning, but Wlan still would work if any app using it.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

Re: Nokia N8/Belle question about WI-FI

Wonder the same. My phone has WLAN on (use it for mail checking). On Anna the WLAN icon sent on only when checking. On Belle it is always on, and by battery time is under half the one on Anna :-( Hope Nokia post a way to go back to Anna...
--
Lars-Erik Østerud - http://www.osterud.name/nokia.html
Please use plain text.
Advisor
py2sl

Also have the same query.

I have no idea why Nokia would ever remove this setting. If it is indeed scanning all the time, I guess it's now less noticable since the only battery indicator is only about 2mm wide with no percentage counter anywhere to be found...

Please use plain text.
Sage
LarsErik

I charged my phone before going to bed yesterday. Mail checkin is off during the night. Still the battery was almost empty this morning. I guess Nokia thinks that new statusbar is so cool that we should switch WLAN on/off overselves (and not automaticly when system is checking for mail) :-/
--
Lars-Erik Østerud - http://www.osterud.name/nokia.html
Please use plain text.
vibhormda

Guys, if you are using the wireless widget on your home screen , then the auto scanning will be always turned on and will eat up your battery.If you don't add the wireless widget on the home screen and still leave the wi-fi ON from the status bar drop down , it will work same as anna i.e. it will only scan and connect when a connection needs to be initiated otherwise it will be OFF.
So turn ON your wireless but don't add the widget.

The feature of disabling any of the connection (Mobile Data & Wireless) from the status bar is really a great feature NOKIA has introduced.

eg: If you are running out of your 3G or GPRS Plan you can switch it off so that only wireless will be used , same is the case with wireless.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
aadilh1

Appreciate the feedback so far on this issue. I noticed that the scanning on off had changed also without the option to turn off however as suggested it appears logical that it was in fact the wifi on off widget would activate the scanning Mode. It otherwise appears off when looking in settings so hopefully by default wifi scanning is disabled.

Manual wifi control is probably best off until ready for use to stop apps like whats app which just does what it pleases. It also doesn't show in the boot startup of netqin security as it used to be in Anna.
Remember, Questions and Answers are required by this Nokia support board. It's very strict, don't complain, criticise or express opinions which does not answer question or your post could be deleted. My friendly warning.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
varfolomey

vibhormda, you are right.

I just realized it yesterday as well. so, don`t you worry to leave Wi-fi on.

Do not put wi-fi widget on a homescreen, it equils turning wlan scanning on on Anna.

Please use plain text.
vibhormda

I leave my wi-fi ON and i have not added the widget on home screen, so this works fine for me. In Anna the wi-fi widget was completely different then Belle. In Anna the widget did not always auto scan , instead it scanned only when you click on it. Since in belle the wi-fi widget has option to show the number of available wi-fi connections on the right side so it always keep scanning to give you the correct figures.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jlscott777

There is also a power saving mode that you can select in the WiFi settings that may have an impact on the battery savings when using WiFi, not sure what it does when enabled.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chamalou

can u set wi-fi to automatically connect to a home network....if so ..how??

Please use plain text.
aayushtandon

^ No, we cannot, but if your wifi button is turned on, and there is a known connection in range, whenever an application requires a connection, it will automatically connect provided that the wifi connection has a higher priority than the Mobile Data connection.

Please use plain text.
rams_syeda

Hi! I have Nokia 500 and I update it to belle but facing problem to connect wifi, my phone shows that wifi is connected but when I start browsing my mobile service provider start charging internet charges as no other internet service is available and my sim is used for internet access and when I again check wifi connection is still shows conected. What do I do

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

rams_syeda wrote:

Hi! I have Nokia 500 and I update it to belle but facing problem to connect wifi, my phone shows that wifi is connected but when I start browsing my mobile service provider start charging internet charges as no other internet service is available and my sim is used for internet access and when I again check wifi connection is still shows conected. What do I do

The only reason that I can think of is that your connection priorities are incorrectly set.

Use Menu>Settings>Connectivity>Settings>Network Destinations>Internet. Then long press on your wifi connection and choose Change Priority, and then select the first connection in the list.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

rams_syeda wrote:

Another thought:

If the homepage in the web browser has been set up by your service provider, it may be the case that the bookmark is set to use your mobile network. If you choose the bookmarks icon, long press on the bookmark and choose edit and you will be able to change the connection used.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.