Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 - Connect USB cable to device

Re: Nokia N8 - Connect USB cable to device

Started getting this today. About three times a minute! Has anyone tried a hard reset to cure the problem.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nuttyapprentice

FIXED!!! I had the same message start popping up every 10 seconds and override anything I was doing. It seems to have started after a short drive where I charged the phone on the in-car charger, hard to say though as it was in my pocket for about an hour and was unlocked with loads of programs open.

Anyway, I tried connecting my USB stick and the message went away, disconnected and the message came back. Connected to laptop and device said some compatibility error, used to be fine. Disconnected and noticed the battery charger bar was cycling, even though unplugged.

Next I turned off the phone normally, and wanted to try charging it but didnt have my charger, so I connected the USB to the laptop again, with the phone off.

The laptop picked the connection up and installed drivers for "nokia n8 ROM". The phone started to charge as if a normal charger was connected with the  phone off. Finally  after a few disconnections/reconnections the explorer autorun windows popped up for SD card and mass storage (strangely renamed to OviSuite f:/). I moved all the files I wanted to the SD card and disconnected the USB properly via the taskbar icon.

Restarted the phone and the problem was gone! My profile theme had reverted to factory (same theme since I got the phone last year so that wasnt the cause) but everything else seems normal!

Hopefully, for everyone else's sake, this wasnt a fluke!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
goyosh

I've got the same problem since yesterday... No solution yet?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Solitario

I've got the same problem as well... :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kemdark

I have the same problem, what can I do ?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
zaaiby

i JUST CONNECT IT WITH PC WHICH DETECT AUTRUN VIRUS THROUGH USB DISK SECURITY THEN I DISCONNECT IT THEN IT SEEMS OK . THX TO MY DEAR ALLAH
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kemdark

Fixed by me

1- Disassembly

2- Assembly 

Thats all.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Myth2012

Hi Everyone,

Had the N8 for 8 months now, and it just came up with the same problem, wont accept connecting to pc , and the usb symbol keeps flashing.. switched it on and off a million times and finally got it to connect to the pc (plug in while device is off and switch on the phone) and you have a time frame of about a min or so before you start getting the "usb not supportted, or not compatible" message that pops up and disconnects your fone from the computer. point is, i swiched my usb settings to (menu>settings>connectivity>usb) and chose the mass storage as defalt, turn off the phone plugged it in to the computer and turn the phone back on. as soon as it registers on the computer, right click on the n8 drive and eject it. been a couple of hours now and the problem has been solved. from what i can tell i guess plugging it to charge from the laptop and just pulling it off the usb without ejecting it could be causing the problem. will this out for the rest of the day and will update you guys if the problem reoccurs. 

hope it works for you guys too cause it is very fustrating, even having it for a day!!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Myth2012

yup seems to have fixed the problem, havnt had that issue pop up again..

Please use plain text.
taneesha

i have got his error since last 2 weeks. Tried everything but unable to solve this error. Even after turning off the phone and connecting usb to pc, the pc doesn't detect usb.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Tgrizzle

None of the above worked for me, just the flashing USB symbol up the top, and would not register on any computer and continuous error messages.

So I decided to open it up, cleaned around the USB terminals put it back together, no more problems.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@Tgrizzle

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately due to warranty considerations we cannot condone disassembly of device upon this manufacturer's sponsored forum, which might lead to invalidation of such.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor

OK, so I've got exactly the same symptoms as mentioned above. Pre-Anna upgrade, there were software feature limitations on the N8 but never any problems with functionality. Post Anna upgrade, the web browser has been improved and the screen seems a little more responsive with text input improvements and vertical qwerty being great features (though I still like and regularly use the alphabetic keypad)... But I've lost the ability to read office documents and pdfs... And now I can't use the phone without saying ok to connecting a usb device at least once a minute. I was regaining my faith in Nokia but I'm rapidly losing it again. Seriously - is there a legitimate fix for this or not?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sakthi6787

Thanks myth2012
The info worked for me
Please use plain text.
doseybird

I too am having a similar problem.

Bought a USB 2.0 male to male adapter so that I could connect my n8 to my laptop. Connected it all up while the phone was on. The USB symbol flashes and comes with the message with "connect USB cable to device". Tried disconnecting/reconnecting a few times with no joy.

Disconnected, turned phone off and then reconnected to laptop. Phone beeps, nokia start up screen comes on, screen goes blank but phone starts to charge but still comes up with "connect USB cable to device" 

I've done everything everyone has mentioned and still joy.

Please please someone help, even the Samaritans didn't know what to do :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dslam

Goto Settings->Connectivity->USB  and change the type to Mass storage.  This thing is very feature heavy when it comes to USB and has the whole kitchen sink.  The problem is it can't figure stuff out automatically.

Please use plain text.
doseybird

thank you for the reply dslam however my phone was already set to what you suggested. Still no joy :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hamada_3561

Hello, are you connected USB cable to your phone and no device connected to your phone(like flash memory)
if this what you made the message that appears to you it will keep appear after a certain time.
To fix this please unplug your USB cable from N8
the message will not be displayed again
and if you want to connect devices to N8 through USB only connect supported devices like (Flash memory).
Please use plain text.
harrow55

same problem, solved in 10min

no cable connect, after Anna update, latest version, keep showing this 3 times/min!!

tried everything people says here

1 long push restart

does not work

2 rest phone to factory setting

does not work

3 set USB to mass storage (menu>settings>connectivity>USB), connect phone to PC via USB when shut down, turn off the phone plugged it in to the computer and turn the phone back on, as soon as it registers on the computer, right click on the n8 drive and eject it.

does not work

finally, kemdark's method works

4  Disassembly, take the battery out, put the battery in, Assembly

worked.    be careful, this may not allowed under warranty. lol

5 find a nokia store or send to a repair centre

not tried yet 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RaiSchaff

Hello guys:

I got the same problem. Tried hard reset, disassembling but nothing. I remembered that I had the USB on the go cord, looked for it, connected it and....almost solved. While connected no problem, the cellphone actually recognize the pendrive and could share data but when I unplugged it, the annoying message came back.

I think is a software or driver problem, so I was wondering if there is a way to, through the USB on the go cord, I could install the driver in my N8. Is that possible? Can it be considered as a solution or am I just dreaming to "heal" my phone?

See you guys,

harrow55 wrote:

same problem, solved in 10min

no cable connect, after Anna update, latest version, keep showing this 3 times/min!!

tried everything people says here

1 long push restart

does not work

2 rest phone to factory setting

does not work

3 set USB to mass storage (menu>settings>connectivity>USB), connect phone to PC via USB when shut down, turn off the phone plugged it in to the computer and turn the phone back on, as soon as it registers on the computer, right click on the n8 drive and eject it.

does not work

finally, kemdark's method works

4  Disassembly, take the battery out, put the battery in, Assembly

worked.    be careful, this may not allowed under warranty. lol

5 find a nokia store or send to a repair centre

not tried yet 

Please use plain text.