Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 Insert Sim Card

Advisor
jimmyspinner

Nokia N8 Insert Sim Card

Hi,

Does anyone else know when a software update will be out to solve issues with the Nokia N8?

I convinced my friend to get one and hers is now completely dead, won't charge, won't turn on and won't do anything! The nice people at Vodafone told her she would get an exchange today and then rang her this morning to say she'd have to wait two weeks before she could get a replacement!!! She's miffed!!!

As for me I'm just happy mine is working on O2 but I do get an issue of the phone displaying a message of 'Insert Sim Card' every other day which is getting annoying but I can cope with. I have to turn the phone off, take out the sim, then put it back in and switch it back on and that usually works. I can't keep doing this though as it must be a fault with the phone.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any software updates ready yet? What about my friend who is thinking of getting any other phone than this one!! Even a stupid iPhone!

Cheers

Dave

aka Jimmyspinner

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Nokia N8 Insert Sim Card

[ Edited ]

I used to get that issue on an N96, turned out the problem was with my sim being a bit old or faulty. Replacing the sim solved the issue for me. O2 will replace it for free without loss of number or credit.

Have you tried another sim in the phone to see if that behaves the same way? If it behaves ok then a new sim is the solution.

If that still has issues then it looks like you may have a hardware fault.

It is unknown when any future updates will be released, it's just a case of waiting. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

Im not too sure about it being the sim card.

I went and got a brand new 128K sim card the other day, and after putting it in, that night, my phone asked me to insert my sim card about 2-3 times. After a reboot it hasnt happened since.

Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Not sure about your country but in the UK problems caused by old/worn/faulty sim cards are actually quite common.

Many of our networks don't issue a new sim when getting a new phone and eventually sims can become worn/scuffed so they don't connect correctly or sometimes they just develop faults.

There's absolutely no harm in ruling out the sim before instantly assuming a it's a hardware issue and going through the hassle of swapping the phone for a new one just to see the same problem happen again.

Do you have any better suggestions akuma07?
Please use plain text.
Professor
vvaino

@jimmyspinner,

Have she tried the "push-the-on/off-button-for-8-secs" method?

And it is also said, that if you battery is completely dead, you

have take the charger off from the phone and put it back. Then

it can take several minutes it to recover.

-vvaino

#SwitchToLumia
Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

Umm. I think you misunderstand.

I was simply stating that I have had this same problem, with a brand new sim card.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

I think you are the one that misunderstood, as not once did I say it was definitely the sim, only suggested it as a possibility to be ruled out before messing about with repairs etc. There was no indication given to the age or capacity of the sim.  At no stage have I ruled out hardware or software issues.

I was not talking about your brand new 128k sim as in the UK we get the sim that our network gives us, rarely do we go out and buy sims listed as a specific capacity. If you have an issue with your 128k sim feel free to start a new topic about it. There has been problems mentioned in the past on other models about sims like that.

As for this topic if it's O2 UK the user is talking about it could well be a older/worn sim as they rarely give you a new sim unless you specifically request one.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Emily_Rose

Hi,

Kindly reply in a civil manner.

Kind regards.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

I don't really appreciate being flamed by another user. For simply replying to a thread.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

@ akuma07, firstly please watch your attitude as you have done nothing but disrupt this thread with it. No one has "flamed" you, all that has happened is that you took something the wrong way and got a little upset.

Just because something isn't the solution to you with your "128k sim card" it does not mean that it's not worth trying. You offered no alternatives or solutions that could possibly help this user.

I don't want to argue with you akuma07 so I suggest you calm down and back away from the thread. If you have something that may help this user feel free to add it but please don't turn this into a petty argument and keep it civil as requested by "Emily_Rose".

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

You know what, seeing as though you're not capable of moving on, and all you want to do is argue.... I'll move on for everyone.

Back on topic.....

I have had this problem, my phone asked me for a sim card, the sim card that was in there was about 3 hours old. But it only happened once.

So OP if a new sim card doesn't work, then its Nokia's problem :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Lol, yes back to the topic, finally glad to see you've moved on! :smileyvery-happy:

I did suggest it may be "nokia's problem" (hardware) back on the second post of this thread, just before it went off topic. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n8helpme

i am hving same problem ,happen with me twice my phone is 10 days old
Please use plain text.
Rana2012

Hi and yes, I have the same problem of getting informed by my N8 that I have to insert a simcard.

This happen at least once a day and it is getting extremely annoying. I only get this message when I try to type in a phonenumber manually. The contact with the provider is still there and selecting and calling a number out the phonebook to call is possible as is receiving a call. To fix the problem temporally is to shut down the phone and restart it without touching the simcard. Until the next time it happens.Have reinstalled the OS system but no change.

Best regards, Rana

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Rana2012 wrote:

Hi and yes, I have the same problem of getting informed by my N8 that I have to insert a simcard.

This happen at least once a day and it is getting extremely annoying. I only get this message when I try to type in a phonenumber manually. The contact with the provider is still there and selecting and calling a number out the phonebook to call is possible as is receiving a call. To fix the problem temporally is to shut down the phone and restart it without touching the simcard. Until the next time it happens.Have reinstalled the OS system but no change.

Best regards, Rana

I had the exact same problem when my N8 was new, but it only occurred 3-4 times. The problem seems to have resolved itself not happened in over a month now. (and yes my sim was brand new with the phone)

Please use plain text.
Sage

I was getting that sim error too... I had to take the sim out and re put it back in but this time it felt like it was more securely "clicked" if that makes sense. Rebooted and it seems to have gone away since.

Cheers~

White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
budorange

hi,

it happened frequently for the first 2 o 3 weeks of phone life,

then it disappeared for almost a month up until yesterday when it cut a phone call I was into.

I had to restart the phone.

I'm very disappointed , due to the spread of the problem looks like it is a phone problem not a sim one.

I'm using a Vodafonesim in italy.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
elephant_girls

I am getting multiple errors on the N8 after 1 month. First, it endlessly asks to insert the SIM card- ANNOYING! I reset it, but it keeps happening. Then, it switches into Offline all the time. Occasionally it doesn't restart after charging. Frustrating!!!!! What is Nokia doing to solve it?

Please use plain text.