Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 Problems MAJOR

Registered Member
christofyew

Nokia N8 Problems MAJOR

Hi Guys,

I just got my first smart phone the Nokia N8 2 weeks ago and am experiencing some problems with it. I would like to see some help/advises and see if anyone's got a solution, have/had similar problems. Otherwise it might be just that I have a faulty set (which is low chance I hope).

1. The screen takes forever to light up when I have an incoming call. Sometimes it's totally fine and fast, sometimes it lights up but before I can press the answer button it disappears, sometimes it doesn't light up at all. Also when I want to hang up the call, it doesn't light up and I have to wait till the other party hangs up, or use the side lock button to light the screen up to hang the call. I notice this happens often in outdoor. Is there like a light sensor or something that the screen doesn't light up in bright places?

2. Slow internet speed. I have friends who are on the same cellular provider with the same service plan. On their iphone using apps, watching youtube and loading facebook picture, it is much faster. I am using the xenozu app for youtube and social network for facebook. Sometimes it says something like "server error" etc and it just doesn't load.

3. E-mails. I am using the default e-mail app on the phone. It takes forever to get the e-mail, if I ever do get it. Sometimes I don't get the e-mails on my phone at all, other times I get it but MUCH slower than people on blackberry or iphone. A small few KB mail can take 1 hours to reach me, sometimes it doesn't update me at all.

4. Fast battery drainage. 20 mins on web can literally drain my battery by half. Even just switching on my phone and not using anything other than calls on and off, it won't last more than a day.

Major failed design:
the speaker is located next to the camera directly on the back of the phone. When I play the phone on the table or in my pocket, I can't hear the ringing because the speaker is being "blocked"

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hello, I can only answer some of the items you listed:

2) I also experienced a lousy browser experience with my N8 during the first couple of weeks. It improved a bit after updating it, tweaking the priorities for Internet access (I have avoided the GPRS/3G feature and simply stuck with my Local Wireless LAN), I also downloaded the Opera Browser. I haven't tried the Xenozu so I can't comment on that.

4) Yes the N8 is a power hog. You can probably disable the screensaver feature and reduce the brightness level, which I both use and put to the max respectively. That's also the reason why I have a short battery lifespan on my N8 and I always have to recharge it. You can also have a car charger or extra phone battery in tow (which can be a hassle, I know). I don't know if there are other batteries sold by Nokia that have greater energy capacities, maybe they can sell them at a discount for owners of their flagship phone, i.e. the N8, aye?

As for the speaker, if the ring audibility is the problem, you can try putting the ringtone volume to maximum under your profile settings. By default, it's set to mid. I hope these tips help!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ichdostres

For youtube, you should download the official youtube app for symbian^3 provided by google, you can see the details here http://www.google.com/mobile/ and it is quite nice :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
samhancock

3. Emails.

Experience exactly the same problem. Sometimes 3 word emails with no threads to them take like 20 seconds to retreive on wireless. I also read somewhere about turning off the mail read status, which didnt change anything. 

Must be a problem in the software. I'm hoping a FW / SW update solves this. Most annoying thing about phone if i'm honest.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
efcso

I hope I can assist.

To get the screen to light up again to hang up a call etc, shake the phone gently from side to side as you move it away from your ear. I think this wakes up the accellerometer and brings the screen back to life.

The email app is hopeless. It can take (in my experience) 2 minutes to 8 hours before you get the email notification and, even then, it can still take more time to download the actual email. I understand that Nokia use Ovi to pull all your emails into your Ovi account and then pushes them from there to your phone. Unfortunately this works about as reliably as the trains in Sydney during peak hour. My recollection is that Nokia are aware of this problem however, as with most problems Nokia know about, it is taking them a long time to fix it. There are some posts on the forums here about different ideas to bypass this stupid idea, as well as some suggestions about other email apps you can purchase to use instead of the built-in client.

The battery life is awful and, as Nokia have now moved to a non-accessable battery, you can't even keep a spare handy. The only way you can reliably increase the battery life is to turn off all the web apps! The games will kill the battery in about 30 minutes too. Yes, rather defeats the purpose doesn't it? Power management is not one of the N8's strengths. I am lucky to have a gadget called a "power monkey" - essentially a rechargeable recharger - that I keep in my bag whevever I go.

Sorry I can't offer you any happiness. Seems Nokia have rather dropped the ball with the N8 and are being pretty slow at doing anything about it.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I'd like to add that I'm not experiencing the same issues.

My Emails are retrieved instantly. The Social app works fine and fast whether I'm connected through WiFi or 3G.

The browser can be slow at times, so I just use Opera Mobile instead. A new and improved browser is on the way with the first firmware upgrade.

My battery typically gives me two days of moderate use, which is double that of the HTC Desire,

which will last about a day.

I've come to realise that people who have SIM free / unbranded handsets don't generally experience many faults with their phones. It's only when the networks get their hands on the firmware and start adding their junk into it, the real problems start.

My particular handset is supplied by Virgin Mobile who generally don't mess about that much with the firmware.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have to agree with you rayhipkiss. I have two sim free/unbranded N8`s, and can honestly say that I havent had any problems with either of them. I`m now looking forward to the new updates to make them even better.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
samhancock

Is there anyway using Ovi or PC suite to make the phone "unbranded" as such?

When the new firmware is available if i completely rest my phone then isntalled that firmware would it remove all the UK vodafone stuff?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

It isn't possible to "unbrand" the phone using OVI suite or PC Suite, I'm afraid.

However, you can get the phone unbranded but you need to convince your network provider to allow you to do it. If you can manage to do that, they will give you a letter confirming this and will also send a copy to a Nokia care point near you. You will then have to visit that care point for them to unbrand the phone for you. I believe there will be a charge for this, but I don't know how much.

Hope that helps.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
samhancock

Thanks Ray

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bfazio

Hi all,

I went on the advice of a friend and swapped my handset to an N8 this week. As soon as i began using PhoneSwitch to copy my contacts, messages etc across, i noticed the N8 was extremely slow in doing this compared to the speed my old 5800 was sending them. After 4hrs i gave up, and then the N8 would take forever to respond to any action i pressed. After attempting to get through, i took it back to the 3 store i got it, and they gave me a new handset.

This one worked much better, and i set everything up just fine, copied everything across, again the PhoneSwitch was sluggish and took a few hours to complete. But now, less than 24hrs later, i am having the exact same issue of slow/no response to any commands i try. Even attempting to go into my inbox just freezes the phone, and after turning power off and restarting, once the phone has loaded, the same problem occurs!

Any advice? I have now deleted all messages from old Nokia 5800, and fear losing the data if i have to replace again or reset.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
abullbar

I also have major problems-my first nokia was replaced after 3 weeks because it switched off and failed to restart.

I got a brand new replacement from nokia after more than 3 weeks wait-I have had it 3 days-used it to make 3-4 calls.

Problem -when receiving calls screen goes blank after 2 seconds so you cannot press green button to answer the call.

Problem 2  when I use the GPS-which was the main reason I bought this phone--it searches for GPS and after about 3-5 mins it switches off and restarts.

The phone has the latest firmware updates done by Nokia care centre Adelaide,the battery was fully charged--ok I did manage to get it working after about 20 attempts--it went fine for 15 Mins and then froze.

This phone is a lemon-I will try again to get one that works (another warranty claim) I am sorry I did not buy a Samsung Galaxy.

Please use plain text.
carro_ellen

I have had my phone for a 4 or 5 months now. It seems to get glitchier as it gets older.

I am with virgin. first time with them, and probably last time.

Internet is painfully slow. as we speak my little n8 is trying its hardest to download the latest software updates (hopefully to solve my probs), it keeps telling me connection drops out, so it has to start all over. this has been going on for 2 hrs now.

my bf has the same phone (initially it would even turn on, so was replaced with a working one)

he is with optus and can use the net and online applications stupidly quick.

my email inbox on the home page was working brilliantly at first, but about a month ago for some reason it just failed to update. every few weeks it syncs up with my account for a minute or so, but i cannot send emails, or retrieve through ovi now. and using the web to access email takes forever.

I will try some of the suggestions put up.  it just sucks that i have a phone with all this capability, and the glitches make it just another handset

Please use plain text.
carro_ellen

Well I feel like a dork.

Virgin got back to me and asked if I had 3G turned on.

no I didn't

So that has fixed my internet problem so far!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lucas123

Carro_ellen Dont worry we have all done something like this.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
myrichg

Here's yet another "big problem" with N8. My set got Hang by itself after having purchase & used for 2nd week. I can't call out and also cannot receive calls. I cannot even switch it off. PEOPLE FROM NOKIA - PLEASE ADVISE !!!
Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Hi @myrichg sorry to hear about your phone, this is a users forum and you usually don't get responses from Nokia here.

Try holding the power button for 8 to 10 seconds, it should vibrate three times, this simulates a battery out reset.

Then power back on normally.

If it won't reset, take it back and ask for a new one as you shouldn't be getting these problems.

Good luck.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
chappie24

Hi I don't experience any of the problems that you mentioned with my nokia n8 got it October 2010

The thing that bothers me is that I would get a message sim registration failed

or the phone would reset on its own

it drops calls I get a message that I have a missed call but the phone never rang

some times I can't answer my phone and make calls then I have to switch it of and on again

any one experienced these problems

christofyew wrote:

Hi Guys,

I just got my first smart phone the Nokia N8 2 weeks ago and am experiencing some problems with it. I would like to see some help/advises and see if anyone's got a solution, have/had similar problems. Otherwise it might be just that I have a faulty set (which is low chance I hope).

1. The screen takes forever to light up when I have an incoming call. Sometimes it's totally fine and fast, sometimes it lights up but before I can press the answer button it disappears, sometimes it doesn't light up at all. Also when I want to hang up the call, it doesn't light up and I have to wait till the other party hangs up, or use the side lock button to light the screen up to hang the call. I notice this happens often in outdoor. Is there like a light sensor or something that the screen doesn't light up in bright places?

2. Slow internet speed. I have friends who are on the same cellular provider with the same service plan. On their iphone using apps, watching youtube and loading facebook picture, it is much faster. I am using the xenozu app for youtube and social network for facebook. Sometimes it says something like "server error" etc and it just doesn't load.

3. E-mails. I am using the default e-mail app on the phone. It takes forever to get the e-mail, if I ever do get it. Sometimes I don't get the e-mails on my phone at all, other times I get it but MUCH slower than people on blackberry or iphone. A small few KB mail can take 1 hours to reach me, sometimes it doesn't update me at all.

4. Fast battery drainage. 20 mins on web can literally drain my battery by half. Even just switching on my phone and not using anything other than calls on and off, it won't last more than a day.

Major failed design:
the speaker is located next to the camera directly on the back of the phone. When I play the phone on the table or in my pocket, I can't hear the ringing because the speaker is being "blocked"

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

chappie24 wrote:

Hi I don't experience any of the problems that you mentioned with my nokia n8 got it October 2010

The thing that bothers me is that I would get a message sim registration failed

or the phone would reset on its own

it drops calls I get a message that I have a missed call but the phone never rang

some times I can't answer my phone and make calls then I have to switch it of and on again

any one experienced these problems

Sounds like a problem with the SIM card, try getting a replacement.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
leafy_bug

The part with the shaking the accelerometer made my day. The accelerometer has no connection to the screen going off or on ... it is the proximity sensor!!!
Please use plain text.