Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 Problems

Advisor
frosty120
Accepted Solution

Nokia N8 Problems

Ok, I've had my N8 for less than a day and while I'm pleased with the phone, some of the problems I'm having are nightmares:

1 - Nokia Switch

Having used the forerunner to this app to transfer from my 7610 to my N73 and then from my N73 to my N95, I thought that it would be a walk in the park moving on to my N8.  Sadly, this is not the case.

When I press Retrieve Data I am told 'Some Data Not Copied', which is something of an understatement, as no data is copied.  The phones are paired on bluetooth and as far as I can see, all the settings are correct.

Any suggestions?

2 - Mail for Exchange

Last night I set it up, I synced my email, contacts and calender, no problems.  But then today, I notice that I have email in Outlook that hasn't showed up on my phone.  Manually syncing does nothing.  No new email.  So I try sending a message to one of my IMAP accounts from the exchange account using the phone, the  message just sits in my outbox.

Prior to this, I did have a problem with Nokia Social, a problem which I solved (with the help of these forums) by changing the order of the connection preferences so that the mobile connection is preferred over my wi-fi - not an elegant or indeed efficient solution as now I need to use GPRS even when I'm sitting within a nice fast wi-fi hotspot, but nevertheless, at least it functions.  I wonder if the exchange problem could be associated with this?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Frosty

Please use plain text.
Sage
rajhot

For the nokia switch issue, try with Phone setup app.
Go to Menu-> Applications -> Tools -> Phone setup
Please use plain text.
Advisor
frosty120

Hi Rajhot,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I have tried this in the past, I have just tried it again and it still yields the same results. :smileysad:

Thanks anyway though.

Please use plain text.
Sage
ex_king_john

Exact same thing happened to me.  After minutes of nothing "Some data not copied" and nothing at all was copied. In the end I gave up and added the N8 to OviSuite and synced everything from my olf N95 8GB to there and then to the N8.  Worked fine.

Please use plain text.
Sage
rajhot

Have you selected all the entries..like "contacts,calender, etc"?
Please use plain text.
Sage
rajhot

But this method is creating some compatibility issues so its better to sync it from OVI site(suing data transfer..sync app..inbuilt tool)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
frosty120

Does Ovi Suite sync messages, notes and bookmarks?

I am surprised that the phone does not have a Nokia Photos app pre-loaded onto it, perhaps when I get round to setting that up I will have another option.

Please use plain text.
Sage
rajhot

It will sync contacts,calenders & notes.
For messages take them as backup using PC suite and restore them later
Please use plain text.
Sage
rajhot

What is nokia photos app?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
frosty120

Nokia Photos is the new name for Nokia Lifeblog

It's a programme that pulls all your messages and photos from your phone and organises them on your computer.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/nokia-photos

You can view all your messages and photos as a time line, you can search by contact and you can even see geo-tagged photos on a map.

It's great because if you're like me and you end up texting people about the things that you're doing, you're automatically building up a diary.  So if I want to know when I went to Norwich last for instance, I can search Nokia Photos for 'Norwich' quickly tell from reading my texts containing the word 'Norwich' when I was in Norwich!  You can then expand the timeline and see the photos of what you did on those dates, and read other messages around them.  It's the best life-logging tool I've come across.

It's one of the main reasons why I've stayed with Nokia since the 7610.  To be honest, I was starting to have some problems with the programme and my N95, but I'm sure that they will have been fixed in time for the N8.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
frosty120

Would you believe it!!!!

The university must have changed the server name for my exchange server last night, I checked the service status page as a last resort and found an announcement!

So my exchange account now seems to be working!

I'll leave this open until I've managed to get Ovi and Nokia Photo's set up, which will probably be in the next few days.

Need to get all of this done within 13 days so that if I still have problems I can cancel my contract and send the phone back.

Thanks for all your help!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

rajhot wrote:
It will sync contacts,calenders & notes.
For messages take them as backup using PC suite and restore them later

For messages, sync your old phone with ovi suite,

disconnect it and connect your n8

once connected drag and drop the messages to the phone

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
urvenkat

Even me too from Bangalore india facing same issue given the mobile to nokia care.........they are taking 7 days for repair...not sure if i get replacement or repair done................but its the worst service.......

Please use plain text.
Advisor
frosty120

Thanks for your help.

I've synced by N95 and N8 with Ovi Suite and I really like the Messaging centre in Ovi, (although it's a little slow).

What is extremely annoying though is that any messages removed from my N95 after syncing with Nokia Photo's are stuck in Nokia Photo's, there appears to be no way to import them into Ovi.

So about 4 years of archived data from my 7610, N73 and N95 is now obsolete.  Very frustrating.

I hope that in a few years I don't find my Ovi Suite data incompatible with future Nokia releases!

Please use plain text.
kal2011

The same goes to me...I send my hp to One Utama Petaling Jaya , Malaysia Nokia Care Centre for repair due to power failure and until now (22 days ) haven't  heard any reply / information about the progress . What a frustrated services...

Please use plain text.
likeable999

I bought this blue N8 (made in China) in last December and not surprisingly it's the best phone I've used so far.But for the last couple of days whenever I browse internet,download files or play games, my N8 heats up heavily.Sometimes it becomes so hot that I can hardly keep it in my hand.My N8 also has that purple tint problem, but I'm not bothered about it.I live in Bangladesh but my set was bought from a shop in Dubai airport..My question is, how many people have suffered from this overheating problem? And if I return it to that shop, will they replace it with a new one? Please
Please use plain text.
N8rabbit

i just bought my nokia n8 last month in the philippines, rigth now i'm here in kazakstan, the problem i encounter is that my n8 always hangs and automatically it reboots by itself. I already update
software but then the problem is still there. I need
some help to fix this. Tnx to anyone who could help me fix this problem.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

You can have Ovi Suite find all photos in your PC. Just specify the folder where Nokia Photos archived the pictures in your PC and Ovi Suite will load them.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nemco

What did you do to sync your outlook addresses to your Nokia N8. I have not been able to do that succesfully and automatically and without receiving a multiple number of the same address over and over again????

Please use plain text.
andy123789

Heyyy ! I have a new nokia n8 but i can't use it now ! LOOK what happened to my n8 ! I connected my nokia with my PC ! It connected with Ovi Store ! It get some updates from Ovi and then it turned off ! I tried to open it but was impossible ! I charged it and try to connect it with my PC again but nothing happened !Can anyone help me please ??? Is everyone who knows a program for this case ?? PLS HELP MEEE ! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.