Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font -...

Counsellor
vlado3g

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

Is there a way to switch the keyborad between english and cyrillic ? I have the EU model

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

vlado3g wrote:

Is there a way to switch the keyborad between english and cyrillic ? I have the EU model

The default Nokia font has Native Cyrillic Support. If you phone's language settings has Russian/Cyrillic as one of it's languages, then you are able to easily switch the writing language from English to Russian Cyrillic. If your phone does not have Russian/Cyrillic as a keyboard.

Try Swype (not sure if they have Cyrillic Support)

http://swypeinc.com/

or

Dasur SlideIT and also download the Russian Language Pack.

http://store.ovi.com/search?q=dasur

Language Packs are Here:

http://mobiletextinput.com/Product/SlideIT/symbian/LanguagePacks.php

Dasur Russian Language Pack

http://mobiletextinput.com/Product/SlideIT/symbian/DownloadLangPack.php?la=rus

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fkclai

[ Edited ]

You are genius! The one at Baidu S60 V5 1.2 is fully compatible to N8! I can write in Chinese and send it in SMS.

Baidu or SoGou, you can try. It is http://shouji.baidu.com/ 

BTW the CJK display works perfectly and OVI store works normally too. Many Many Thanks.

My N8 came with a link only to install OVI store. The OVI was installed and used before any other changes to CJK fonts. I installed the CJK fonts to Micro SD as instructed and worked perfectly. I have since downloaded more Apps from OVI store without issue. I am in Australia

My Software ver. 011.012
Custom Ver. 011.012.266.02
Language Set 011.012.18.01
Product Code: 059D294

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

fkclai wrote:

You are genius! The one at Baidu S60 V5 1.2 is fully compatible to N8! I can write in Chinese and send it in SMS.

Baidu or SoGou, you can try. It is http://shouji.baidu.com/ 

BTW the CJK display works perfectly and OVI store works normally too. Many Many Thanks.

My N8 came with a link only to install OVI store. The OVI was installed and used before any other changes to CJK fonts. I installed the CJK fonts to Micro SD as instructed and worked perfectly. I have since downloaded more Apps from OVI store without issue. I am in Australia

My Software ver. 011.012
Custom Ver. 011.012.266.02
Language Set 011.012.18.01
Product Code: 059D294

Awesome! Hopefully, others share similar experiences!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
enochcheng

interesting...I am from Canada and the ovi stores still doesn't work for me...

Software Version: 0.11.012

Custom Version: 0.11.012.269.03

Language Set: 011.012.31.01

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

enochcheng wrote:

interesting...I am from Canada and the ovi stores still doesn't work for me...

Odd problem. Wonder what version of OVI did you and FCKLAI are using. N8 S^3 is supposed to have the new version of OVI Store But Maybe that is the difference?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
enochcheng

My Ovi Store is 2.00.10024

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
quietzhang

I followed the steps in this thread to try to make Chinese characters supported, however failed. Could someone tell me what I missed?

1. Get a new microSD, and copy the CJK fonts in the resource/fonts via microSD reader (not by N8 PC suite)

2. Insert the microSD into N8, and reboot it.

3. N8 can bootup and works fine, but Chinese characters still can not show up.

The other question is:

I cannot access resource/fonts on the mass storage (the 16GB with N8). It is not show up in my Windows7 if I connect it to my laptop via usb cable. Anything I missed? Thanks.

My N8:

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Can you name which fonts? There are 3 versions here. The first 2 are not right, only the last one.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fkclai

My OVI is the same as you. 2.00(10024)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fkclai

I think I may know the answer why OVI store is not working.

My OVI store was working after installation of CJK fonts until I copied the Fonts folder to E: Mass Storage from the Micro SD card. The phone had 2 new 'Fonts' folders and OVI Store stopped working. I therefore deleted the Fonts folder in E: Mass storage (in mass media mode). I then turned on the phone, it is working perfectly again. Just leave the CJK fonts in Micro SD.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

[ Edited ]

fkclai wrote:

I think I may know the answer why OVI store is not working.

My OVI store was working after installation of CJK fonts until I copied the Fonts folder to E: Mass Storage from the Micro SD card. The phone had 2 new 'Fonts' folders and OVI Store stopped working. I therefore deleted the Fonts folder in E: Mass storage (in mass media mode). I then turned on the phone, it is working perfectly again. Just leave the CJK fonts in Micro SD.

Awesome discovery FKCLAI. Hence, if you have \Resource\Fonts in both MicroSD & Mass Storage, OVI Store will not work. However, if you only have one \Resource\Fonts folder in either MicroSD or Mass Storage, OVI Store works after Font Change?

When you meant copy, you left a folder called \Fonts in the \Resource directories in both MicroSD & Mass Storage?

Awesome! Kudos to you. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
enochcheng

mm.. that's interest.

Becuz i don't even have a SD card in my cell.

Maybe I'd grab a SD and try to load the Chinese font in there.

Thanks Fkclai for this info.

Enoch

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

enochcheng wrote:

mm.. that's interest.

Becuz i don't even have a SD card in my cell.

Maybe I'd grab a SD and try to load the Chinese font in there.

Thanks Fkclai for this info.

Enoch

Seems that Font Change only works 100% (without OVI Problem) if you place the font in MicroSD. Uhmm... Thanks for the note!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jakiman

[ Edited ]

I just tried with MJ's font in MicroSD and deletd the empty resources\fonts folder in internal memory and rebooted. Still OVI store crashes upon launch. Can I get that other CJK font which apparently works?

UPDATE:

Hmm. Just saw the new ones with missing G added? Will try them out and report back.

UPDATE2:

Nope still not working. Just having resource\fonts folder in MicroSD still isn't working.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

jakiman wrote:

I just tried with MJ's font in MicroSD and deletd the empty resources\fonts folder in internal memory and rebooted. Still OVI store crashes upon launch. Can I get that other CJK font which apparently works?

UPDATE:

Hmm. Just saw the new ones with missing G added? Will try them out and report back.

UPDATE2:

Nope still not working. Just having resource\fonts folder in MicroSD still isn't working.

Seems like we need to do more troubleshooting why OVI Store crashes on some and not on others.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fkclai

[ Edited ]

I did not change the original fonts in Z:Resources/Fonts (phone system memory). I only created new folders, Resources/Fonts in the micro SD card. I copied the CJK fonts (All 4 files) i.e. N8-CJK-Font-Add-U+3000-MissingGlyph-CJK and S60ZDIGI.ttf to the micro SD card. I therefore have 2 sets of fonts folders in my phone.

1 in the original location in phone system memory and 2 in the Micro SD card. Try to see if this works. My OVI store and other apps are still working a moment ago.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
tkz2

Hi fkclai,
I'm also from Australia and own a Nokia N8, and I would like to try out your method to confirm that maybe Nokia N8's from Australia might have something to do with not crashing when the OVI store is launched.
The only probelm I have is that I can't seem to download the S60ZDigi.ttf file as childofthewo_mj's link for you does not seem to work.

Hope to confirm this soon once I get my MicroSD card.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

tkz2 wrote:

Hi fkclai,
I'm also from Australia and own a Nokia N8, and I would like to try out your method to confirm that maybe Nokia N8's from Australia might have something to do with not crashing when the OVI store is launched.
The only probelm I have is that I can't seem to download the S60ZDigi.ttf file as childofthewo_mj's link for you does not seem to work.

Might have been a dead link @ 4Shared. Try this so S60ZDigi.rar

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fkclai

Hi TKZ2

You can simply use the original S60ZDigi.ttf file from the phone memory. To access the phone memory, you need Y browser Symbian and install it in your N8 from the Link below:

http://www.drjukka.com/YBrowser.html

With Y Browser you will find Z: Resources/Fonts. Just copy this file to the Micro SD folder. Good Luck.

tkz2 wrote:

Hi fkclai,

Please use plain text.