Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Lan...

Professor
childofthewo_mj

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

You're welcome

Contributor
lung

Hi childofthewo_mj,

I've finally got the micro-sd card and now am able to use ovi-store as well as view&input Chinese characters in N8. 

Thank-you very much for your help!

I am happy as can be now :smileyhappy:

Professor
childofthewo_mj

;-)

lung wrote:

Hi childofthewo_mj,

I've finally got the micro-sd card and now am able to use ovi-store as well as view&input Chinese characters in N8. 

Thank-you very much for your help!

I am happy as can be now :smileyhappy:

Contributor
lung

Although I am happy with the fix however I agreed with others that moving forward Nokia should think about multi-lingual issues when they develop the next version of Nokia phones.  Us users shouldn't need to go through all these hassles and find work arounds to get language to work on our phone.  I believe those users who are none computer literate would just give up and live with what they've got....feeling very sorry for them......

My old Nokia phone can actually read Chinese so was very surprised that this function got taken off the new Nokia phone.  I guess I shouldn't assume in the first place huh?  The point it, good features SHOULD NOT be taken off the new version of the Nokia's phones!!! Very disappointing!!!!!

In future, I will definately read and find out more on multi-lingual features before getting any Nokia phone.

Hopefully Nokia technical members/developers read this and take into accounts us user's annoyance and frastration!!!

ant_z19

Hi, lung,

How do you input chinese characters? I already read every post in this thread and I'm able to see chinese, korean and japanese characters (music player, dictionary, opera) but, I can't write with these symbols. I have tried many ways with no result xD Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

ant_z19

Ahh, and of course many thank to you childofthewo_mj, for your help. =D
Registered Member
merintharsini

please i need see tamil font i live in swiss i have n8

Professor
childofthewo_mj

Do you have a tamil font? As I understand Tamilhas a very large font set and required Open Type Mappings.

merintharsini wrote:

please i need see tamil font i live in swiss i have n8

Registered Member
merintharsini

please i need tamil font viewer for my n8

frustrated__N8

Can anyone help me on my N8 to support chinese characters in reading email/contacts and browsing websites in Chinese?  And the procedures how to fix this problem that Nokia had  intended to create on Nokia phones sold in USA......causing a lot of hassles and frustrations for me and others too!

Thank-you in advance!

Registered Member
LoranC7

[ Edited ]

Hello,

thanks to childofthewo_mj complete and clear explanations, I could create system fonts for my Nokia C7 with Unicode range for Myanmar (Burmese) characters (U+1000 - U+109F).

Myanmar characters are now displayed in most applications, BUT the display is correct for only one of them : Nokia Reader (RSS reader).

For all the others I've tried (Nokia Mail, Nokia Web, Quick Office, including external ones like Gmail, Opera Mini...), three of the most frequently used Myanmar characters (U+102C, U+1031 and U+1038) are systematically shifted to the left and abnormally overlap the previous character. Of course, the result is almost unreadable. Bad luck!

To solve this issue, I tried to modify the three glyphs with FontForge, moving them to the right, thus making space for the previous character in the word. But, strangely, nothing evolved. In the end, I completely deleted the three characters from the fonts. They were of course replaced by a white square, which was also shifted to the left and overlapped the previous character! Which means that this problem seems not to be dependent on the glyph design.

I also tested my Burmese nosnr60.ttf font on a PC with Microsoft Word, and the display was correct (no overlap of characters, as in Nokia Reader).

For now, I've no more ideas and wonder whether it is a bug in the display of Unicode characters of almost all Symbian applications.

Have some of you ever met such problems with other Unicode ranges?

Would some of you have some ideas about how to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help!

frustrated__N8

Hi childofthewo_mj:
I think you had done a great job in helping people how to install language pack.
Can you please show me how to install the fonts to support chinese characters on N8 phone (bought in USA), thanks. (I could not make the folder called Resource on the micro SD card or mass storage either)

If anyone know how, please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because I just got N8 a week ago, and I want to have my contacts from older phone to N8 in chinese and I want to browse chinese websites on N8 too.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
r33333w

Hi Lung,

How did you manage to input Chinese?

Appreciate if you could advise step by step.

Thanks!

lee223

I employed this fix and can't input Chinese as well so I found a way around it by installing Baidu Input Portatrait QWERTY which replaces the original Nokia virtual keyboard with its own. You get to input Chinese using pinyin, strokes and handwriting recognition (which wasn't present in my N8's original virtual keyboard!). Its from China so the program's setup is in Simplified Chinese.

Professor
childofthewo_mj

Google GSUB and OpenType. Microsoft and Adobe has free font tools for languages that uses stacking and overlapping characters of South East Asia, South Asia, Central Asia.... etc.

LoranC7 wrote:

Hello,

thanks to childofthewo_mj complete and clear explanations, I could create system fonts for my Nokia C7 with Unicode range for Myanmar (Burmese) characters (U+1000 - U+109F).

Myanmar characters are now displayed in most applications, BUT the display is correct for only one of them : Nokia Reader (RSS reader).

For all the others I've tried (Nokia Mail, Nokia Web, Quick Office, including external ones like Gmail, Opera Mini...), three of the most frequently used Myanmar characters (U+102C, U+1031 and U+1038) are systematically shifted to the left and abnormally overlap the previous character. Of course, the result is almost unreadable. Bad luck!

To solve this issue, I tried to modify the three glyphs with FontForge, moving them to the right, thus making space for the previous character in the word. But, strangely, nothing evolved. In the end, I completely deleted the three characters from the fonts. They were of course replaced by a white square, which was also shifted to the left and overlapped the previous character! Which means that this problem seems not to be dependent on the glyph design.

I also tested my Burmese nosnr60.ttf font on a PC with Microsoft Word, and the display was correct (no overlap of characters, as in Nokia Reader).

For now, I've no more ideas and wonder whether it is a bug in the display of Unicode characters of almost all Symbian applications.

Have some of you ever met such problems with other Unicode ranges?

Would some of you have some ideas about how to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Professor
childofthewo_mj

Yes. The newest version of BaiDu does not have a lag now, which is awesome. It can input Trad & Simp Chinese. BaiDu is now officially supported in S^3, but the update to the non-laggy version is S60v5 but works great in S^3

lee223 wrote:

I employed this fix and can't input Chinese as well so I found a way around it by installing Baidu Input Portatrait QWERTY which replaces the original Nokia virtual keyboard with its own. You get to input Chinese using pinyin, strokes and handwriting recognition (which wasn't present in my N8's original virtual keyboard!). Its from China so the program's setup is in Simplified Chinese.

Counsellor

so big a husle n8 is. Things should be simpler with such basic things.

Customer buys a car. He expects it to have wheels.
Customer buys a smartphone. He expects to have multilingual input.

But nokia just don't seem to get it. I waw waiting that at some point they would add this feature but... I have made a pledge to myself not ever ever buy a nokia smartphone unless this issue is resolved.

Thank godness there are a lot of options out there these days. But the borgs just don't get it.
Counsellor
PUR3R4Z0R

childofthewo_mj, I have read your instructions.

However, when i tried to install the qt and other sis files in the same rar package, they all turn out to be expired. Every one of them are expired when i tried to install.

But i was able to follow your procedure of copying the 4 fonts to microsd card.

Does the qt packages are absolute necessary? and how do i know if i am successful? should i be able to see japanese and korean languages in my system settings when i change my language? currently i dont see any difference from my original phone with no extra language support.

Nokia C7-00 Symbian Belle RM-675
mEphi

childofthewo_mj, thank you a lot for this easy instruction to get japanese fonts on the N8! It works perfectly on my device.
Now I am wondering if you one can somehow combine the CJK-extension with the Nokia Pure Fonts.
Is this possible? Or do you actually plan to implement CJK-extension in an Nokia Pure Fonts-Package?
That would be the most convenient joice for anybody I guess!
Thank you in advance!
Professor
childofthewo_mj

[ Edited ]

If Nokia Pure font is available, yes...

Is Nokia Pure in Anna or Belle? I need the exact font content package in those systems. My N8 does not have Anna yet, I am in North America so I cannot do anything.

If you have the fonts, normally in Z:\Resource\Fonts, I need copies of the contents of this folder. 

If you have it, PM me.

*Hopefully, Nokia would be smart enough to inclide a font that is like Arial Unicode MS. Devices nowadays have large capacities. They need a font that supports all the languages in the world.

mEphi wrote:
childofthewo_mj, thank you a lot for this easy instruction to get japanese fonts on the N8! It works perfectly on my device.
Now I am wondering if you one can somehow combine the CJK-extension with the Nokia Pure Fonts.
Is this possible? Or do you actually plan to implement CJK-extension in an Nokia Pure Fonts-Package?
That would be the most convenient joice for anybody I guess!
Thank you in advance!