Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Lan...

Counsellor
ichdostres

Re: Nokia N8, RM-596 Symbian^3 Keyboard and Font - Language Support

I guess you could try putting the fonts in the microSD as suggested, maybe only the non-chinese ones and see if that works, although you'll probably run into the same ovi store problem.

Professor
childofthewo_mj

I hope someone at Nokia is going to read this -- a Developer, or someone with more clout with the development team than those who monitor this forum.

Please help alleviate your world class citizen's problems! We live in a global village where regions are not bounded by political lines and barriers, where languages from every different part of the world flows in many places. We need to "Connect to People" in their native tongues!

a) Please provide a full Unicode font that will read/write all the spoken/written languages in the world. We do not like to drive or fly to a Nokia Care Centre to have our phones re-flashed to a regional firmware that will add one language's font/input method but remove one that we use.

b) Provide a service release that will over-write the ROM with these default fonts that contain a full Unicode Set

c) Fix the Qt problems with Fonts because we need to read CJK outside of nations where Chinese/Korean/Japanese is used... and many more languages that are not included in the S^3 default Nokia Font. If this Qt problems is not fixed, we will not be able to use Ovi Store and give money to your coffers because we cannot purchase apps. Same with PixelPipe and Panorama. 

I hear that PR 2.0's web browser will be Qt based! Or is it PR 1.1. Then, it will force us to ask Nokia for a full refund for our units if we cannot even have the Web Browser work (after it is written in Qt) with our Font Substitutions as recorded and documented in the Symbian Developer Site so we could read anything that is not written in the Latin Script, Thai, Hindi, Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic and Greek.

Please fix Qt! Please fix the Qt Code in Ovi Store, PixelPipe, Panorama! Please allow us to install language packs by SW Update or Downloads instead of having a Nokia Care Centre reflash it to a pre-set region!

Thank you Nokia! I hope you are listening!

Then, the result of not listening is that Nokia would lose their core customer base, like how they lost many loyal customers because of the N97 Fiasco!

Advisor
Banderpop

[ Edited ]

I'm amazed this topic is marked as solved.  There are so many people trying hard to work on or find solutions, and there really haven't been any that will work well for everyone.

About a third of the messages I get on Facebook via Social come up with the □□□□□□□s of uselessness.  The built-in Dictionary just sits there mocking me, claiming to be able to translate but instead showing me a bunch of □□□□□□□....  And now I'm getting text messages full of □□□□□□□, so I have to reply that I can't read them.  "Oh, really?  What phone do you have? Why don't you get an iPhone?"

I like how the Ovi Store will show reviews in several languages, which makes Ovi feel like a global community.  And the N8 is a pentaband phone that should work pretty much anywhere.  So it strikes me as being very backwards that reading and writing in several languages is unavailable.  Especially when it appears to not be a problem for people with smartphone OSs that are thought of as being mainly for the US market.

Advisor

Nokia appears to be careless.. Not responding to I users.
Counsellor
ichdostres

Let's not give up, hopefully the update will be released soon enough, and it might include the Qt fix to let us use the fonts without a problem. If that is fixed, then it will only be a matter of time till a 3rd party japanese input program comes out (be it from +j or the digilife guy (M-FEP 60 pro) or someone else), i doubt nokia will release a language pack, but  if they do, I'll gladly download it.

As for Chinese, I think the baidu program works wel

Professor
childofthewo_mj

Let's hope Nokia fixes it.

For other non-CJK input, Swype for N8 already has many languages available.

Once the initial package is installed, you can download and install additional languages. You still need to ensure that the main application is installed first, and that the phone's Writing Language fits with one of Swype's supported languages. Since Swype has its own language selection, we recommend you set the phone's Writing Language to English, then use Swype to change the language dictionary in use for writing.

The following languages are currently available for download:

LanguageDateNotes
Arabic
2011-01-14
Bulgarian
2011-01-06 
Czech
2010-12-22 
Danish
2010-12-10 
Dutch2010-12-02Key layout not in final form
Finnish
2010-12-09 
French (European)2010-11-22Includes AZERTY keyboard
German2010-11-22Includes QWERTZ keyboard
Greek
2011-01-06 
Hebrew
2011-01-14
Icelandic2010-12-02Key layout not in final form
Indonesian
2010-12-17 
Italian2010-12-02Key layout not in final form
Malay
2010-12-17 
Norwegian
2010-12-10 
Polish2010-11-22 
Portuguese (European)
2010-12-17 
Russian
2010-12-30 Reports itself as French
Slovak
2011-01-11 
Swedish
2010-12-09 
Thai
2011-01-12Swype key graphic is truncated
Turkish
2011-01-14

Vietnamese
2011-01-12Swype key graphic is truncated

More should be available in time.

ichdostres wrote:

Let's not give up, hopefully the update will be released soon enough, and it might include the Qt fix to let us use the fonts without a problem. If that is fixed, then it will only be a matter of time till a 3rd party japanese input program comes out (be it from +j or the digilife guy (M-FEP 60 pro) or someone else), i doubt nokia will release a language pack, but  if they do, I'll gladly download it.

As for Chinese, I think the baidu program works wel

Counsellor
tv123

I just want to push this thread again. I just hope there will be a solution to this problem. I just want to use a german-japanese dictionary in the webbrowser. Is this much to demand from a SMARTphone?

Counsellor
ichdostres

Now that the Ovi Store update came out... you could try installing the fonts manually again and seeing if ovi store still crashes... Apparently the update was pulled from n8 ... I haven't been able to install it yet :smileysad: but if someone has, please share your experience.

Registered Member
sticky2010

Still no good.

OVI store now freezes with the new Green screen with CJK fonts installed.

:-)

Registered Member
kordi2005

[ Edited ]

Hi - Please can you help me - i brought  Nokia N8 from china - i see it made in finland -it is new -type Nokia N8 rm-596 - FCC ID-PYARM-596 - dual sim card - My problem in the receiving when i received calling i  found this message TEST Ver is OVER and i do not hear the rining just this message after that i see whom call me - I try pc suite software and ovi software but it is not working wuth this mobile.

MODERATOR NOTE:

Email address has been removed.

**Please be reminded that personal/contact information are not allowed to be posted in this forum for your privacy and security reasons.

Thanks.

Contributor
LastsForever

I was so in love with this phone...being a longtime Nokia user.  Then I realized how limited this "smartphone" is.  It can do EVERYTHING but read and write...it makes me quite sad.  Thankfully I don't rely on using languages other than those in my language pack, so I don't have to try returning the phone etc.etc.  Really, Nokia?!?!  Are they so busy with their upcoming Windows OS phones they are just ignoring their already awesome N8?  They left us N8 users on "the burning platform" while they jumped ship.  Thanks. :blarg  I hope some sort of upcoming fix will happen, and I'm not dreaming.  How many months has this been already?

AND:  How in the world do you call this topic "Solved"? 

Advisor
cyrus0403

here is the new swype korean keyboard , but it still cannot read korean /_\ sigh

Professor
childofthewo_mj

A post on Symbian Fonts just came up entitled "How to change fonts on Symbian^3 with OviStore & QT apps Working"

http://symbianfonts.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-change-fonts-on-symbian3-with.html

I will check the fonts I have created and report back. Maybe there is a simple solution as this blog reports. 

Any interested parties, any test on this guy's report would be nice as well so we can all pool our minds together and figure this out if Nokia is not going to figure this out for us. The last check Qt 4.7.1 still has problems with Routed Fonts.

Professor
childofthewo_mj

Swype for N8 has Korean KB now? Awesome!

Professor
childofthewo_mj

cyrus0403 wrote:

here is the new swype korean keyboard , but it still cannot read korean /_\ sigh

Where did you download a Swype Korean Keyboard? It is not in Nokia Beta Labs. Can you post a link?

Contributor

This situation is so unfortunate. I really like my N8; best handset I've owned. It's incomprehensible to me that a global communications company, a technology leader, can't get something like this right.
Counsellor
leroy92

I COULD USE SOME HELP HERE.

the fonts on my mail seems to be bolded, i went on forums and it seems that my n8 is the only one with bolded fonts? i tried changing the font size in the settings but it seems that my fonts are still bolded, but are smaller. this makes my phone look cheap. like i have some sort of 3rd party mail in my n8.

Hanvant

I have same problem. I need support for Devnagari font.

Please add Rajasthani langauge into the list of India languages

Professor
childofthewo_mj

[ Edited ]

Qt 4.7.2 and latest Nokia Ovi Store fixes the problem with those who are using Foreign Fonts or Customs Fonts in their Nokia N8 S^3 in F:\Resource\Fonts

Qt 4.7.2 and Ovi Store as downloaded from Nokia Ovi and Nokia Qt

;-)

Have Fun!

Fonts are in this Discussion... or OK. I'll just post the link again

...and...

http://www.4shared.com/file/A2sLiV_R/s60zdigi.html

Tested On:

Applications that are working because of Qt 4.7.2 that were not working because you had fonts in F:\Resource\Fonts

Ovi Store

Nokia Reader

Layar

PixelPipe

Wikitude - Assumption, since it is also written in Qt

Nokia Panorama

Yeay!

:smileyhappy:

Thank you Nokia!

Advisor
enochcheng

Sweet!

I just downloaded and confirmed working.

Finally. Thanks Nokia