Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 Screen Saver & Power-Saving Mode

Registered Member
big_mike_12

Nokia N8 Screen Saver & Power-Saving Mode

Few issues after 24hrs of N8 usage...

1) My Screen Saver stopped working... screen stays lit indefinitely, even when locked... after multiple restarts and lots of frustration it came back, but this issue has already happened twice - surely a bug

2) Power-Saving mode doesn't really make sense unless it is customisable... I am on a 3G only network, power-saving enables GSM-only... see the flaw?

Appreciate your feedback,

Mike

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
EZAzdin

Re: Nokia N8 Screen Saver & Power-Saving Mode

about #1 - same problem here - the screensaver just stops working everytime i reboot my n8 - and it needs several restarts to get it work again! an reflash via NSU/Ovi-Suite didnt worked it out - a complete reflash by a nokia care service, too - that needs to be fixed!

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

My own settings on my N8, are more energy efficient than the Power Saving mode....lol
Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SITI87hajar

My N8 deactivate the screen saver once the power saving mode is activated and it won't set the screen saver back to the normal after  the power saving mode is deactivated.

Nokia 3310, 8250, 6070, 6060, 3120, 1110, 1280, 5300 XpressMusic, N76, 6120 classic, 5800 XpressMusic, 5530 XpressMusic, N900, C3-00, N8-00, N9, 700, X2-01, Asha 302, Lumia 610, Lumia 920, Asha 501, Lumia 820 and Lumia 1520... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
darrenrone

Same here, had N8 for a week now and my screen saver has stopped working three times. It been like this for three days now and just can't get it back again.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
darrenrone

turning power saving off, then restarting the phone and not touching it for several mins got my screen saver working again.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
frelewe

I can confirm that rebooting and keeping off any keys after pin code will make screen saver work again. I can only trace it to using side slider at the same time as the screen is about to auto lock after user defined time but it is difficult to replicate.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Doobopuk

Yep, just had the problem with Skype locking the phone so had to soft reset and afterwards no clock screen saver. Can confirm though that I got it back by doing a soft reset again (hold down power button for 8 secs) and then not touching the phone until screen saver was activated. Thanks for the heads-up.

Chris

Please use plain text.
Arkron

Regarding ISSUE #1 (the screensaver failure), I have a PERFECT solution!!!

However, I am not sure if this will work for you, because I have SPB Mobile Shell, but it is worth a try!

1) Make sure you have the widget for the MUSIC PLAYER on one of your main operating page.

2) Turn OFF your phone regularly. (NO NEED to hard rest by hold over 8 secs)

3) Turn ON your phone.

4) Once the phone loaded up, immediate play any song through your music player. (Need to be done before your phone auto-locks)

5) Lock your phone with your side-lock button; your screensaver should come back.

Both my g/f & I owns a Nokia N8, and we both experienced the screensaver failure problem. My N8 was easy to fix by many people's solution of just simply reset, and it automatically fixed the problem. But My g/f's N8 was stubborn, and wouldn't turn the screensaver back on by this simple reset method. Later I discovered the above method, and it worked every time! I think somehow the music player is triggering the screensaver and forces it to stay on.

Well, although we somehow surpass this  issue, but Nokia still need to fix this problem. Nokia N8 is a great phone, it shouldn't have such a simple mistake in it. This makes the perfect phone imperfect!!! Anyway, please let me know if this method works for you guys, thanks.

Please use plain text.
samson432

[ Edited ]

Oh man! Your solution deserved to be put into the N8 Hall of Honor! It works and make this phone perfect again.
However, for step 4 playing the song, I found that I need to switch back to Home Screen then go Step 5.

I do not have SPB Mobile Shell.

Both me and my wife owns N8 and only hers is facing this problem and soft restore is painful because we customized the N8 quite a bit and reconfiguring is just too cumbersome.

PS. I actually don't think the real bug is in the screensaver but some low level network access stopping the switching to the low power screen off mode.

Please use plain text.
Arkron

lol thank you very much for your comment.

Yeah, you may be right about the low level access issue. But I still think Nokia should fix this problem as soon as possible if they want to compete with iPhone 4G. Especially this is Nokia's most expensive phone! It should not contains this simple issue.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
perttu_v

Thanks! Worked fine by me!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Oricas

[ Edited ]

I had the problem of no screen saver.  Spent a couple of hours going through the menus trying to fix it without success.  Found this forum and sceptically tried using the music player method.  OMG...It worked...Thank you...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

It works for me as well....

I didn't have to even restart the phone. Jus place the music player widget on the screen, played a song and stopped it, exit the player.... and voila...... the screen saver clock worked again!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
J0EC00L

HELP!! That music player "trick" didn't work for me! =-((  What cna I do??? Like all these other folks, I've tried everything else under the sun... no dice! **bleep** is wrong here?!?!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

just tried the music player trick and beware it worked for a second then when i pressed unlock to stop the song the whole screen went black and had no option but hard reset which resulted in phone not working again FAB

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
scattykat50

I've had this problem also....and thanks to all I rebooted my phone and left it for a while after putting in the code. After a couple of seconds a message came up at the bottom of the screen asking me if I wished to 'deactivate the power saver' I pressed 'yes' and hey presto that was all there was to it.

Please use plain text.
neil73

I have had similar problem with my N8 at first I though it had somthing to do with some of the QT based apps downloaded from the ovi store, but now I not so sure to fix it the last time I switched it off left it for 10 minuets then switched on and left it to boot up and the screen saver to come on

don't know if this is any help when I got my N8 well over a year the Nokia/Nielsen 360 app I originaly got off there web site caused the key lock slider not to work

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jeahavee

Nothing willk work...

I did however notice something. When I had my computer on [in windows 7 64 bit] and my phone was connected via bluetooth an I rebooted my phone it would lose the ability to 'go dark'. When the computer was off no problems. That's the only solution that works. Turn off your computers bluetooth for a while.
Samsung Galaxy S4 'Black' (current)
My N9 Black (backup phone)
My N8 Green runnin Xeon^4 3.2.1
My E72 White
My E63 BLUE

http://www.youtube.com/Jeahavee
http://www.reverbnation.com/jeahavee

Stop with the popup notes Nokia sheesh I don't need help from you :/
I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit/Black Opal on my HP Dv6 1030us (DiViUs)
Windows 7 64 bit Pro and Black Opal on my custom desktop (Giniro)
Please use plain text.