Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 Video Chat using Skype

Registered Member
anas_85

Nokia N8 Video Chat using Skype

Please provide video chat facility using skype in Nokia N8.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Nokia N8 Video Chat using Skype

[ Edited ]

You'll have to ask skype, not Nokia. Skype make their own app for Nokia's symbian  phones so it's up to them to make it.

Fring.com used to allow skype video chat on Nokia phones until skype decided to block it.

So it's skype's decision.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
el_loco

Use Fring!

640K Should be enough for everybody
El_Loco Nokia Video Blog
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fetmelter

Frin is not the alternative: -since they have launched video Skype for iPhone , they have a dispute with Skype, so the service has been compromised. -not everybody likes to send his Skype password details to a 3rd ( Israelian ) company
Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

Urgggh?! I thought Skype and Fring already provided video chat?!

I read it somewhere, or heard it on a review! Let me look...
Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fetmelter

No need to make your search to complicated. Just go to the fring website and check for supported networks. Since iPhone 4 Fring lounge debacle: no more skype in Fring. So please Nokia, don't take the candy away from us: after Nokia N900 spoil we want integrated native Skype in EVERY Symbian phone as well. Put the preasure on Skype people.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fetmelter

at edited Psychomania:

"

You'll have to ask skype, not Nokia. Skype make their own app for Nokia's symbian  phones so it's up to them to make it.

Fring.com used to allow skype video chat on Nokia phones until skype decided to block it.

So it's skype's decision."

It is Nokia's decision as well! (to not include skype preloaded / integrated)

Have you forgotten about the so called partnership between Skype and Nokia?

"Collaborating closely with Nokia to [b]preload and integrate[/b] our software onto their devices will benefit... etc.."

Full statement here (until removed)
http://about.skype.com/2009/02/skype_and_nokia_partner_to_int.html

They (Skype) talk about integration.  The only fruit of this is the N900 , so far.

2 steps back for the N8.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

I'm sure Skype for S^3 will be available very soon. Be patient. Android got Skype only week ago. Nothing is instant.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
fetmelter

It is not so much about patience.

Thing is, there is a big difference between a well integrated voip / video chat protocol and a seperate generic app.

Gotta know the N900 to visualize what I am talking about.

It seems Nokia - Skype partnership (integration - preloaded)  lost this momentum with the N8.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

I need Skype. I hope Nokia and Skype fixes this soon.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
myneni1617

can i use skye video calling from mobile to mobile

Akuma07 wrote:
Urgggh?! I thought Skype and Fring already provided video chat?!

I read it somewhere, or heard it on a review! Let me look...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
93tid

No, you cannot.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mohammed04

Kindly get solution to use video chat on Nokia N8

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

Use Fring. Skype for Symbian doesn't have it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
siraj7

Have you used fring? looks like a 3rd grader made it, and operates much like spyware. its terrible. I see people been saying just wait, patience blah blah, that was dec 2010, a full year ago. this n8 is almost obsolete the way the trends are going. i have a feeling skype dumped all efforts for providing video on s3. but that is thier right, they are a 3rd party.

actually for nokia this is pathetic,i have long been a nokia supporter, they always market good product but the full potential of those products are seen a year or more after launch through fw updates. its nonsense, even my n95 had front camera, so does my n8. yet no decent app to run it online. we have video call thru 3g here in canada but its expensive.

apple comes with a front camera and bundled it with facetime in the SAME stroke, no hesitation, no sitting around waiting when i can realize my devices full capability. really nokia for a multi billion dollar organization, listen to your customers, this has been going on for a while. atleast make the current fanbase happy ie n8 users, or we will refuse to buy n9 (which does not have a native video call app either) and forget about lumia, no ffc altogether. but, which better than paying for the feature and not being able to use.

if i could i would make an app myself, but its your responsibility, your product, and your fw. i see nokia is tying many aspects to facebook these days, well facebook chat on pc has webcam support, here's a tip: work with that!

Please use plain text.
mirein22

well as they are in bed with microsoft now,

How about a functional video chat enabled MSN messenger.

I agree Fring is complete **bleep** - 

tbh if you want PC to phone video calling -

don't get a Nokia as no symbian or microsoft programmes provide this,

yet several android ones do

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Tahvo

Year to make video call posiple to symbia 3 and iphone has it? They are realy slow to make it. Nokia should force them make it since its now Microsoft company
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
usamah

So is there any Nokia representative here to provide SUPPORT or we are here to select our NEW android phones for Video Chat... btw i am in favour of Galaxy S3... any suggestion?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
psyched

your know how on N8 passability on skype video chat is note worthy. keep it up bro.

Please use plain text.