Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 Voice Recorder - Paused

Advisor

Nokia N8 Voice Recorder - Paused

I have a Nokia N8, fully patched as of today's date.

I've used the Voice Recorder on many Nokia phones, and have come to rely on it.  The N8 implementation is a nice simple voice recording tool, but.........

I can sit the phone on my desk, as I did right now, and start the Voice Recorder and hit "Record".  I then lock the screen using the side switch to make sure I don't accidentally touch the screen and pause the recording.   It has now paused after 12 mins 22 seconds  without me touching the phone.

It always pauses at some apparently random point, so far anywhere between 3 and 19 mins.  It rarely goes longer than this without pausing.

I want it to keep recording indefinitely, or at least until I tell it to stop!  

I'm saving the amr sound files to an external SD with gigabytes free on it, so there is plenty of space to record all week!

Does anyone have any suggestions, as I can't see any other report of this?

I'll try other options from the Ovi store, but it seems a pity I have to do that for such a basic tool, as I don't have any special requirements other than to keep recording!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
yakman

I'm having the same problem...

Please use plain text.
erik2005

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem too. It doesn't happen when I just got the phone in last December but then the problem came to my notice in around February (which is after several software update but before PR1.1) this year.

And I've done a little experiment to see what's happening:

1. Voice Record on, Put the phone on table, stop at around 13 minutes (repeat several times, sometimes stop earlier);

2. Voice Record on, hold your phone and put your finger on the screen (to prevent the phone from locking), more than 28 minutes (then I stopped), no problem at all.

So my very wild, amature, naive guess is it has something to do with background applications in relation to power management...... BUT all we need is a SOLUTION!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

My solution for now has been to try some of the third party options available from the Ovi Store.

My favourite so far is SymbRecorder, but the beep suppression doesn't work when recording phone calls.   They say they are "working on fixing" this issue.  It does reliably record for as long as I want it too though.  (Ovi store is really coming on, much better than when I last visited it)

Nice to see I'm not alone though with this Nokia Voice Recorder issue!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
deak15148

I am having the same issue here.

Gotta consider using different applications for recording now.

Such a shame on N8.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
TedMurphy

You could try our Call Trunk application.  No beep by default.  Easy and quick, cloud-based, keeps the call saved and available forever, free for the first 25 minutes. Contact me at ted@calltrunk.com for more information.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hiddenemotions

I have got the similar problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

I've still got the problem, and there doesn't seem to have been any Nokia patch to fix it.  Maybe I need to call them, but I really don't want to have to reset my phone to factory defaults, which is the typical 1st step with such issues via the HelpDesk!

SymbRecorder has proved to be disappointing, but didn't notice it till after I bought it.  It messes up dialling calls, especially speed dials, so my N8 is not much use if I can't make calls!  Also the beeps were starting to annoy my regular callers!  So I regretably stopped SymbRecorder loading automatically, 

Back to Ovi Store to see what else there is, unless Nokia come out with a fix..........

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Andrei122

Same problem here. I generally use the voice recorder in my university to record the teacher's lessons. Recording usually stops by 25 minutes!

I'll try to use the phone in Desconnected mode to see if the problem remains...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SuperManForADay

Same here. What is Nokia doing about it
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Andrei122

Anyone knows a good app to replace the official one untill nokia fix this?

Please use plain text.
jonassandstrom

I have the same problem and my girlfriend too, its driving us mad!! :smileyhappy: hehe, anyone have any tip what app to use instead?

Best regards Jonas.

Please use plain text.
oteni

i have the same problem with my n8: the voice recorder pauses unexpectedly while recording. this problem is common to many n8 users and has lingered too long for nokia to keep neglecting it . pls fix it quick!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Andrei122

Anyone knows if theres an upgrade coming to fix this?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Andrei122

Damn, I have to use this function everyday and it's freaking me out because I have to be SO careful if the record has paused automatically.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Andrei122

FIXED!

I've sent an email to nokia support and they told me to reinstall the phone's software via Nokia Ovi Suite on my PC. I've already had the newest software installed, but just reinstalling solved the problem. Hope this works for everybody!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ampranti_gr

For me, is freezing just after locking the screen :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Andrei122

Did you try to reinstall the phone's software?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ampranti_gr

Not yet.

I will not reinstall software for something so minor....

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Andrei122

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

The problem unfurtunatelly returned after a few records that didn't stop =(

Please use plain text.