Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 Won't turn on or charge and its only ...

Advisor
johnnymac22

Nokia N8 Won't turn on or charge and its only 10 days old

I found a pile of people who are having the same problems - The Nokia N8 won't reboot, start or even charge. Its just like its DEAD and that's what's happens to mine and I'm very pist off. 

Go and check the feed back here 

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=36922302396&topic=15911

before you think about buying a NOKIA N8 I only wish I had have gone into the store and brought what I originally went into buy and that was an iPhone - **bleep**!!!! 

I'm going to be getting my money back.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dannychen

Re: Nokia N8 Won't turn on or charge and its only 10 days old

this is malaysian site of the same problems:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=113065628706153&topic=352

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

That is unfortunate. Nokia have acknowledged the problem and specified it as a manufacturing defect. I'm surprised you have been given a defective unit, seeing as it is only 10 days old because the fault existed only in the first batch of handsets produced. You should therefore, ask for a repair or replacement from Nokia under their two year warranty.

Pay a visit to your nearest Nokia care point, if you are still interested in experiencing an otherwise fantastic handset. Honestly, miles better in terms of functionality compared to the iPhone.

All the best.

Ray

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
michaels

The issues are well documented. Any N8 which is affected by the issues which Nokia has already acknowledged will be dealt with under the standard terms of the Nokia Limited Warranty, see the Support section of the Nokia site for your countries for details of a Nokia Care point.

If you have any further queries about the progress of repairs to your N8 device, you can call the Nokia Care line for your country - details can be found via the Contact Us link on the Nokia website for your country.

For your information, you can see a copy of the warranty on all Nokia sites. To find it, enter 'warranty' into the site search box in the top corner of the page. For information, a link to the European warranty follows, see your local Nokia website for the warranty in other countries.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/repair-and-recycle/european-limited-warranty

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sootyN8

[ Edited ]

Interesting how negative the views are, yes it happened to me 10 days ago and yes like a fool I hadn't backed anything up so lost all contacts, photo's etc but in the scheme of things it was a minor event in my life.  I didn't lose any sleep over it as it just one of those things.

A quick phonecall to Orange (UK) and a replacement handset was couriered out to me within 24 hours.  Found it pretty easy to get all the contacts I actually needed back by using an old school technique of physically visiting friends at their homes, having a chat and getting more contacts of them etc.

Still love my N8, fantastic phone, well done Nokia and Orange (UK) for your support.

Moderator note:

Offensive language removed. Please do not try to circumvent our language filters.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Grahambn

Nokia N8 croaked. Turns out it's a known issue. Purely by luck we managed to salvage the photos. The fault causes the phone not to switch on after the battery runs flat, and you recharge it. We had alarm set for 8pm and the alarm went off. When I stopped the alarm, a screen came up asking if I wanted to turn the phone on. I said yes, and it did. I've got the photos etc. off and "sanitised" the phone (Factory reset). It's working again, but it's still going back tomorrow.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
hydz_hates_this

[ Edited ]

ive always bought nokia phones since they had long battery living time and were easy phones. but the freaking n8 has been only problems from the first damn start till now! nokia has to get their heads out their and see how many customers are complaining about the job they charged me for! while syncing songs to spotify, using my wifi the fraking phone suddenly froze. i turned it off to turn it back on, but no, it wouldnt. its turned off, not responding to the charger nor the usb connection to the pc and i want to beat the doodoo out of the AH who said "the n8 is ready for the market"! Nokia next time you want to start selling a phone, plz dont! just go further develop the buggy  thing you have 20 more years and when iphone 24 comes out maybe you can start selling a usable n8! no more nokias over here!i bet your production has been moved to fraking zimbabwe or some since the n8 is the  phone ive ever seen in my entire damn life!

MODERATOR'S NOTE:  We would like to inform you that we have edited your post. Please refrain from using inappropriate words  for us to maintain a friendly environment on this public forum.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
djromero

I just fixed wife's N8 with the same issue....

Removed bottom cover (2 screws).... removed battery clip .... removed battery ..... connected usb charger .... replaced battery .... (phone started charging) .... replaced battery clip .... replaced bottom cover. Done.

It's the same old issue almost every model of Nokia phones have, the one you usually fix by taking off and on the battery ... but in this case it's just a bit harder with the N8, because of its internal battery.

Thank you for clicking on the Green button with the white Star for Kudos!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

djromero wrote:

I just fixed wife's N8 with the same issue....

Removed bottom cover (2 screws).... removed battery clip .... removed battery ..... connected usb charger .... replaced battery .... (phone started charging) .... replaced battery clip .... replaced bottom cover. Done.

It's the same old issue almost every model of Nokia phones have, the one you usually fix by taking off and on the battery ... but in this case it's just a bit harder with the N8, because of its internal battery.

Congratulations you've just voided your wifes warenty and if she has the power management  issue then you have not fixed it at all

Its possible that by opening the case you speeded the recovery of the phone, but it will fail again, and again and again,

each time it fails it's harder to recover until eventualy it will not recover at all

the issue requires a chunk of the motherboard to be replaced, due to some manufacturing issue in the first batc, had you taken her phone striaght to a nokia care point and explained the problem the phone would have been fixed under the warenty within 2 weeks

by openining the case you have removed this warenty protection

Please use plain text.
Contributor
charliecaden400

[ Edited ]

This is primarily aimed at Ray.

My nokia N8 is also having this problem... and before you say its the first batch, it wasn't. I got this phone for my birthday after asking for it (biggest mistake of my life) in December and I must say that the N8 is an absolute steaming pile of ! It is just terrible. Its slow, the layout is terrible, the camera sticks out so it looks like the phone has breasts, the apps for the phone are abominable aside from a few (such as angry birds and doodle jump) and the portrait keyboard is awful. If its a smart phone it should have a qwerty keyboard both in landscape and portrait mode. Also the nokia customer support for the ovi store is very unhelpful. After clicking on the 'buy' button for a particular app, the phone began to process the transaction when all of a sudden it closed down. I received a text saying the payment was successful but alas the app had not been downloaded. So I sent a complaint and soon after received an email telling me my complaint had been received. That was about a month ago and since then I have heard nothing back... so you know thanks for that. Also i never seem to get notified about updates for the phone. I don't know whether i have to check manually or whether nokia have decided theres no point in trying to polish this **bleep**.

In a way, I'm almost glad mine won't turn back on. It means there might be a slight chance of a refund or the chance to get a better phone (which is basically every other smart phone ever... INCLUDING THE IPHONE RAY!!!). The N8's only redeeming features are the quality of the camera and the fact that you can get angry birds on it.

I welcome all feed back whether it be from people such as myself who despise this unholy creation or those who feel it is the best thing since sliced bread...

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

This post has been edited as it may be offensive to other users in the forum. Please keep your contributions respectful.  While your feedback is welcome in the discussions board, we encourage users to voice out their concerns in a tone that is respectful to Nokia and other users to maintain a friendly environment. Thank you for understanding.

For assistance about any unresolved concerns or complaints about your Nokia N8, we highly recommend that you get in touch with your local Nokia Careline via email or phone by clicking on the "Contact us" link at your local Nokia website. You may also have your device assessed by authorised Nokia Technicians at a Nokia Care Centre near your area.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Hello Charlie,

I read your post and want to thank you for putting a big old smile on my face. It seems you're having a lot of problems, which is a shame as I'm not experiencing the same issues.

I'm not too sure as to why you've aimed your post towards me though. Maybe I upset you when I critisised the iPhone? Or perhaps you know me personally and are posting under a pseudonym? Perhaps you could enlighten me.

Some of the problems you have highlighted have been addressed by Nokia and fixes/improvements will be implemented in the next firmware update, such as the portrait qwerty keyboard. 

However, all this is academic now as you have convinced yourself that the N8 isn't for you. The fact that it is broken and requires repair or replacement means you need to contact a Nokia care centre. I understand you want a refund so as to purchase a fruity phone, so I wish you the very best of luck with that.

Best regards.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
charliecaden400

Fear not Ray. I mean you no harm and I don't know you personally I'm just very hacked off by my phone and nokia. Also its not like I'm in love with the iPhone its just I think it is a far superior phone to the N8. Despite thinking it was rather overrated at first, I think its time for me to jump on the bandwagon and get me a snazzy new iPhone

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Evening Charlie.

I wish you all the best in getting your problem resolved and hope you enjoy the iPhone4.

I can well understand being fed up with a phone, to the point of wanting to smash it as I do with the Samsung Galaxy S that's sitting in front of me looking all cheap and Fisher Price like. To me it's an iPhone wannabe, so I'm glad and thankful that I still have my N8.

It has been and always will be personal choice as to what phone a person likes. I could advise you to steer clear of Android, but that would be biased based on my own experience.

All the best.

Ray 

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]

I dont know this charliecaden400 personally but i must say i agree  wholeheartedly with him. I bought a nokia n8 just a few days after it came out and i was horrified with it, it was slow, laggy and just painful. It then wouldnt turn on and this was the last straw, i took it back to my network provider and demanded a swap, they allowed me to change to the iphone 4 and this is how a phone should be made, it all just works and best of all, wont give me any stress related illness that the N8 was bound to give me

Please use plain text.
Contributor
charliecaden400

Me again here to report yet another problem with the N8. After my last N8 wouldn't turn on, i was sent a brand new one to replace it and i was told all i had to do was put my sim card from my old N8 into this one. Easy enough you would think... but no. The N8 just had to make it a whole lot harder. If i turn on the phone with the sim card in it says 'SIM card not valid' and doesn't let me do anything. If i turn on the phone and then insert the sim card, it doesn't recognise it and i can't get any service of any kind. There is in fact a big white 'X' in the top left hand corner where signal is normally displayed so its basically like a nokia version of the iPod touch, but worse... much, much worse! And to add insult to an already horribly infected and near life threatening injury, the phone won't turn off, the exact opposite problem i had with my previous N8. How is this possible?! Some one please explain to me how a phone won't turn off. Nokia really needs to get its act together and start making a viable phone for todays market and the N8 is clearly not. SORT THIS OUT NOKIA!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
faffy

@charlie: lol...user error mate...i have just gone through same process>>connect ur phone to ovi suite on ur pc and follow all prompts, mines all good now and re-synced....even the troublesome ovi maos/drive update worked without any hitch.

ALL READERS EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM SHOULD PLUG CHARGER IN FOR A WHILE before TRYING TO SWITCH PHONE ON AS IF IT IS TOTALLY DRAINED IT WILL DO NOTHING>>NOT EVEN SHOW CHARGING LIGHT !!!
Please use plain text.
sooockie

Hi i had the same problem yesterday and i read for hours on the net looking for a fix.... and didnt find much... so today i asked my mate to lend me his n8 and all i did was first fully charge his phone battery then i took it out of his phone and put it in my phone and it started up with out a problem... i then put my battery into his n8 and it was dead nothing at all. so the answer is bye a new battery and fully charge it and off you go....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
alydid

first of all. not everybody has a warranty. second . mine still does not work. got the battery out put it back in still does not get over the loading bit keeps reseting 3 times then it`s turning itself off. i have lots of notes written down . how can i get acces to them? is there any safemode or anything that i could do to get them to my pc???

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Max3

Hi - I think I have same problem where N8 Belle  refuses to boot up. I removed both Sim and Mem cards, pressed and held  On/Off button about 10 seconds, until several beeps  heard. Rebooted, with no Sim/Mem cards in "Offline" mode - checked everything worked "Offline" including Nokia maps, Contacts, etc. Switched off. Inserted Sim - rebooted OK. Swtiched off, inserted Mem card as well and got phone working properly. Not certain if fix temporary or not. I deleted/reinstalled all Mailboxes thinking that there may be some rubbish attached to an Email.

My N8 was made in Finland c May 2011 and purchased new c November 2011.

Does anyone know if Nokia has fixed this fault?

Please use plain text.
brendlin

hi easy fix off problem see message of djromero 8 of 29 date2011-03-20 it helps all nokia problems with drain battery power and not turning on NB very important all nokia user use this message it works 100 present no comeback. I use it now and am great full.
Please use plain text.