Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 and Ovi related problems.

Counsellor
Samarth619
Accepted Solution

Nokia N8 and Ovi related problems.

Hi Friends,

I own a 6 month old Nokia N8. I have used it normally, and it is serving me fine.

But I have some problems and queries:-->

1. When I open Ovi Store on N8, it doesn't open but just shows a black screen. Then, I have to use task manager to kill the store app.

I updated custom firmware twice through the set's software updater. But,the issue remains.

My current custom firmware version is 014.002.C03.01.

No, I never applied the hard reset/ any kind of format, on my phone. Earlier, Ovi Store was working but then it stopped automatically, and I don't remember how/ why it stopped.

I also tried removing Ovi Store and reinstalling it, like suggested somewhere on Nokia Discussions. But, it didn't help.

How can I get the Ovi Store back on my N8 without using PC's Ovi Suite? And why didn't Nokia solve this issue in a firmware update?

2. I tried using Ovi Suite on my Laptop. It started using internet connection excessively like a virus does. It just starts to upload/ download something unknown to me.

And thereafter, it made a connection even without opening Ovi Suite. I had to format my laptop back then.

Then I used the Nokia PC Suite, but the latest version didn't support my N8.

Surprisingly,an older version (6.83) works excellently with all features!

What is going on? Why is Nokia so obsessed with Ovi Suite?

Does Nokia have a problem if I use PC Suite with my N8, and not Ovi Suite?

Please help me guys, specially regarding the Ovi Store issue.

Regards,

Samarth.

==============================
My Story: Used 6670, Used N91, Used N8, Using Pureview 808 now. I requested Nokia to get N91's sound quality and features in the latest phones. No response from Nokia!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Hackneydevil

I had the same problem, which resulted in Me returning to Samsung and the Galaxy S. If the N8 was on the 'Android' network... it would be a 'world-beater'!

D.

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

Check that your network connection works OK. Check if you can connect to Ovi Store (http://store.ovi.com) with web browser. Try also clearing the cache in web browser (Options > Clear privacy data > All).

If you don't get Ovi Store working, you may have to reset the device. Try first the "Restore" command in Settings > Phone > Phone management > Factory settings. It could help if there's something wrong e.g. in your access point settings. The next step is to try the "Delete data and restore" command which will clear more things in your device. Before doing this, take a backup of your device and copy e.g. your photos from mass memory to PC because this reset command will also wipe out the mass memory.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Samarth619

It didn't help much. But anyways:

1. Yes, my access points are working fine. I checked the network too. I have cleared up my cache.

2. The ovi store site opened fine, and it said "Launch", I clicked on it and again, the ovi store opened and it again changed into the black screen. I had to end it using Task Manager.

3. I don't want to format it or restore factory settings. Setting it up again, is a thing that I'm scared of.

Moreover, I heard from many places that after resetting Ovi Store/ Maps will never work again.

What I don't understand is, I just updated to 014.002... Why can't Nokia solve these niggles in the firmware update process? What are these overpaid idiots doing??

Maybe the above guy is right about Galaxy S... I hate these Nokia niggles!! Right from the nokia N91 days..

My Story: Used 6670, Used N91, Used N8, Using Pureview 808 now. I requested Nokia to get N91's sound quality and features in the latest phones. No response from Nokia!
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

One thing to check is that you don't have any beta applications installed in your device which could interfere with Ovi Store. Check if you have e.g. Bubbles or Big screen and try uninstalling those if you have them now in your device. Or if you recall having installed any other apps at the time when the Ovi Store problem started to occur, try uninstalling those (you can check the recently installed apps in Menu > Settings > Application manager > Installed apps > Options > View log).

Check also if there's any Ovi Store update available in Menu > Applications > SW Update.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Samarth619

Yes, I got it...! I checked through all the stuff I installed, and I found it. I had installed some fonts into the memory card, in the location:

F:\Resource\Fonts\

Those fonts were applied to the N8 interface, but it seems these were causing the problems.

I removed them now. Ovi Store is working fine now! Even Panorama is working now...!

Thanks Pj98. Big credits...!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
JIRAIYA_03

I have a problem with my N8 and the Nokia Ovi Suite.

Its only 2 weeks old as of now and I can't update the firmware.

My firmware is 013.016 and it wont update on the Ovi suite everytime I connect it to my PC(Windows 7). It always displays the same message everytime:

No updates available.

(BTW: Instead of updating the firmware as it's supposed to do, it sometimes displays that there is an update, but when I click update it gives me a list of 4 items.

Galaxy on fire

Need for speed shift

Real Golf

Ovi Maps

Really? This is the update to the firmware???)

But when I check Nokia's website and the phone's built-in software updater, it displays a different message saying there is an update:

So how do I fix this?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
alex80386

JIRAIYA_03 -- this is most likely a different problem and perhaps you need to start a different thread, but in different markets a different version of the phone is sold and depending on the network operator, the operator might not approve the update until after some delay. So it depends on the version of the phone for that network operator.

The updates you have listed are to individual applications and not the main firmware update.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Numis

Why can't we get a diagnostic tool from Nokia or an elegant exit from the Ovi Store app with an error message number xxx.... so that we could fix the problem.

I have PR1.2, I reinstalled the software via Ovi Suite, I have zero apps and the store still doesn't work (starts loading, exits without an error message).

What am I supposed to do?
N8 / RM-596
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
JIRAIYA_03

@alex80386:

Thanks. But I bought my N8 from Nokia store itself, and is an open-line unit.

Anyway I thought that it would be wise to post this in this thread as the heading was N8 & Ovi related problems.

So is it advisable that I use the Nokia software updater from my previous Nokia units?

Many thanks and kind regards.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Samarth619

@ Jiraiya: I suggest you try updating via the phone only, and not using PC's Ovi Suite...
Go to Tools/ Software Update... or somewhere in the menu you should get software update...

Otherwise, try entering *#0000# on the phone dialer. This will open the firmware app. Now, go to options and choose "Check for Updates"...

Also, which country are you from? I'm from India/ Rajasthan, and I have 014.002 from the mobile's software update app... You should get it too

--
I have no idea why Nokia don't solve the Ovi Store problems through an app, or software update...
I guess they are busy disabling hacks in the firmware updates.

---
And by the ways, all my problems with ovi store are SOLVED now, when I stopped using those fonts on my memory card. If anyone has them, delete them!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
JIRAIYA_03

I just updated Ovi Suite. W.T.H.

Still the same.

I'm in / from HK.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
alex80386

JIRAIYA -- Have you seen this thread in the Software Updates forum?

/t5/Software-Updates/Official-Nokia-N8-PR1-1-PR1-2-Software-Release-Schedule/td-p/923407

If you go to page 62 you should find an XL sheet with the latest list of software versions for each product code and there appear to be quite a number of different product codes just for Hong Kong.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
JIRAIYA_03

@alex80386:

Thanks, very much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

i cant find the resource folder and the fonts i only can find the F:

can anybody help me please?

Please use plain text.
Contributor

which fonts?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Samarth619

@ Proteas6: You should find+delete these fonts, ONLY IF you or someone else has installed them on your phone's memory card (not mass memory).

I mean, the fonts located in the F:/Resource/Fonts/ which you can access using the mass memory mode on your PC.

You might find 4 fonts here which would be used in your entire N8's menu/ softwares/ everything, delete all of them...

Restart the set. You should be able to use all nokia's softwares like panorama, ovi store, etc. Clear?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

THANKS A LOT

Please use plain text.
Contributor

hOW WOULD IT LOOK LIKE? i FOUND SMTH ON MY REMOVABLE DISK ON PRIVATE FOLDER THAT CONTAINS FONTS. SHOULD I DELETE?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Samarth619

Delete only the fonts folder located in F:\Resource\Fonts... getting me?

So, what is the path where you find the fonts? I think you're going the wrong way... Don't touch the private folder here...
Please use plain text.