Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 apps

Contributor
FE101

Nokia N8 apps

Hi guys,

I have a very silly question but could you please clarify this matter for me.

Can you use android apps on the nokia n8?

Furthermore, are there other websites other than ovi shop to buy apps for the nokia n8?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: Nokia N8 apps

Of course not. You cant use Android apps on Symbian anymore than you can use Symbian apps on iOS.

There are however some developers who develop the same apps for both symbian and android, hence there are similar apps sometimes.

Ovi Shop is the official source, however there are several other sources. I get my apps, apart from Ovi Store, from forums.dailymobile.se...They have an apps section there under s60v5 (These work for N8), and under S^3, which you can download and install. In cases where the apps arent free, they put up links to the site where you can buy. Each app has its own thread with a review, so you know what you are downloading. The site also frowns on pirated software so you are a bit safe from that.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
FE101

Thank you very much for your help : )

Shame there aren't many Symbian applications. I am really keen in finding medically oriented ones, but unfortunately without success.

Francesco

Please use plain text.
Advisor
legalalien

I hope somebody (Nokia?) creates an Android compatibility layer or emulator.  Ovi store is far behind Android market and iPhone store.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FE101

I agree and allow me to say that I was so hyped to buy the N8, but after all these awful reviews and the minimal amount of apps I might have to steer clear from this phone.

It's such a shame because the specs looked so good :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

what awful reviews

there are a few issues round here but this is a support forum it's expected

don't let that put you off what is a fine handset

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FE101

Well, I have also read about the creation of a website against the N8, following a very disappointed and andry customer... (maybe in need of a holiday : )

Symbian has truly so little apps and I wish it produced more medical stuff, which would be useful for my  daily work. + no skype??? That's truly the only really important thing of me having a smartphone : (

We'll see... but thanks for the reply

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

There is skype. =p. The skype app for 5800 works on the N8.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
legalalien

Well...that's the point: Skype works, but is not officially N8 compatible so it's unsupported, Swype works with the same caveats, etc.

I've been using various Android handsets for the latest couple of years, and N8 reminds me of T-Mobile G1 (though with much better specs): buggy, incomplete OS and few 3rd party applications.  It took Android 2 years to resolve both issues.  Does Nokia have that long?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

1. 2 years ago Android was a new OS.

2. Symbian^3 is a new OS. So basically, as with all new OS, you should expect those things you mentioned about the G1.

3. Not really sure what you mean by "does Nokia have that long?" Its not like they have a deadline.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
legalalien

chanchan05 wrote:
Not really sure what you mean by "does Nokia have that long?" Its not like they have a deadline.

I think they sort of do.  Application availability drives smartphone purchasing decisions these days. The longer Symbian is behind iOS and Android in terms of applications, the longer Nokia will be losing market share, until there isn't much left to lose.  Look what happened to Microsoft.

Symbian^3 is not a new OS; it's an evolution of the Symbian platform, however extensive. That's why it's so surprising to see missing functionality (no visual email notification without widgets or inability to accept meeting requests, for example), UI blunders (no auto-detection of phone numbers, thus inability to dial directly from a web page, email or meeting reminder, home screen widgets being all the same size, etc.), bugs, and most of all, lack of applications.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not here to bash Nokia and/or start flaming wars.  I'd hate to see Nokia reduced to making low-tier (Series 40) handsets cheaper than everyone else.  Nokia has a history of making innovative products, and N8 is a beautifully designed phone with great specs.  But I'm disappointed with the current state of software, as I find it far less usable than its competitors, and I hope to see some quick response from Nokia to address the gaps.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
EdgeFx1

read ANYWHERE on the net and you will find 99% of all reviews saying its a terrible machine, it has potential, but the os is holding it back like giving a 99 year old cripple the keys to a  lambo.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Actually, I have read reviews, and they base terrible upon the UI. In an impartial interview (GSMArena), yes they did call the UI outdated but also pointed out key strong points against which there is no competition.

Personally, the only thing bad about the N8, is the UI, and that will be remedied with future updates since Nokia plans on porting the S^4 UI onto S^3 (as a shell like Sense UI from what I understand).
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pjbbigbear44

Is any one interested in having an app (T-mobile UMA/GAN app) to work on the latest OS Symbian^3 this runs on Nokia E7 and Nokia N8 plus others. This will allow you to make wi-fi/uma calls over your wi-fi router for those of you who are set on getting or already has a Nokia N8 or E7 being that T-mobile is not offering these phones but they are able to be use on T-mobile and AT&T networks, I am in the process of negotiating with a app designer and at this point I do not know what the cost will be or if they are able to do it. If all goes well I hope they can, let me know if any one is.  

Please use plain text.
Sage
cecampbell

[ Edited ]

This thread is utter rubbish and yet I am suprised that no one else is challenging these claims about the number of apps.  With over half of all smarthphones running on symbian, there are apps out there.

Yes, OVI store is slightly behind some of the competition but there are thousands of apps out there available from other sources... and many of them are free and they are not regulated and controlled by Nokia (you taking notes Apple?).  Nobody can really get an accurate count on the total number of Symbian apps out there but the only one close in volume of apps is Android.  Regarding Android, half of those apps either make simple burp noises or perform basic tasks that are built into Symbian.

The N8 is the equal of any flagship phone right now.  But wait a month until the updated device software comes out (announced for January) and I know this phone will be even better.  Ask anyone who bought the first S60 5th ed. phone, the 5800xm; they'll tell you that, yes it had a few bugs early on but Nokia frequently updated and improved the device software.  And even now it's a very nice and capable smartphone.

Please use plain text.
Professor
romperompe

Well said campbell.
IF YOU FIND POSTS HELPFUL HIT THE BIG GREEN BOX TO THE LEFT WITH THE WHITE STAR IN IT THANKS
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
chiposaur

the real problem is that people come from their 2 yr old android or iphone and they see the store and go "oh crizzap... NO APPS!!" 

1) As has been said, it took the android store about 4 months before it was just as full of 50k drek apps like the iphone.

2) if you exclusively use the ovi store (which if you're used to android or iphone you're used to NO CHOICE) then you're locked in to apps with certificates and approved by ovi specifically for the n8. while 5800 and s60 v5 apps will work just fine, they're not approved by ovi specifically for the n8 and they don't show for you in the store.

this 2nd thing is part of the problem with nokia atm: they're not building in the paradigm of user-centric anything. the solution for item 2 is to have a simple check box or even an extra screen "show compatible apps" with an explanation "compatible apps may not work correctly etc etc." . . .DONE.

they're simply shooting themselves in the feet over and over with this thing.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pjbbigbear44

I can't wait to get my hands on one N8 I am getting one in February and I use a UMA/GAN wi-fi calling on the Nokia 6301 that I have now .I am talking with a app designer to write a UMA/GAN app for the Nokia N8, the way I understand it the N8 has all the hardware but lacks the programming what are your thoughts on this. Also I have noticed that there are all kinds of apps that one could think of that do not come from ovi store.  

Please use plain text.
Maricio

I will wait at least until summer 2011 to see if all needed apps will appear for N8. Right now are missing even very basic applications such as PPTP VPN and RDP access.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mohammed_dizay

Hey 

With adding N8 to Nokia family, Nokia took a great step toward the competition with other companies. I have read a lot of reviews about Nokia or even other companies' products. What I found was that the only thing that the review is about is OS. I know that OS is very important but don't you think that other things are also important such as design, colour, camera, network (network coverage), battery, Price, and so on. 

Based on these parameters, Nokia is doing well but it needs more working on OS which is the main problem with Nokia. Recently, Nokia announced that they will provide all new UI to the S^3 in early 2011. I myself waiting for these update packages to arrive from Nokia..... Hope so

Please use plain text.