Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 camera not working

omair8
Accepted Solution

Nokia N8 camera not working

Hi,

so since yesterday, while all day morning the camera was functioning properly,

after a while when I tried launching the camera through the camera button, the shutter/internal lens cover doesn't seem to open and the entire phone hangs and shows pitch black or distorted colours sometimes with the shutter/internal lens cover still closed.

I've to hold onto the start up button for 8 secs everytime after launching the camera as the entire phone hangs,

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Nokia N8 camera not working

@omair8

You shold prepare yourself for a possible visit to a Nokia Care Point and backup all essential data. At this point it would probaly be worthewhile to carry out "hard reset" to restore device to "Out of box" state and if still problem try re-installing existing firmware with Nokia Suite upon PC.

By carrying out these procedures you would have eliminated any possible software corruption and this would point towards a hardware issue.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
mdave0223

Hi, Same thing happened to me, after I updated from nokia belle my camera stopped working... I even tried to reinstall the software again but it did not help.I took a video of it and uploaded it in youtube... Here's the link:http://youtu.be/rD9SGJLZyKk

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jaeahl

same thing with my camera...but i nver install or update anything...what shall i do please help me :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
chinmoynandi

I have the same problem,, after I got it back from a software update from Nokia care,, before I use the front camera, then the back,, it use to start but now not even that works.. I gave it to nokia care again and they asked to change the whole camera with a big budget.. The lens and every thing is working fine then why to change the whole camera,, the make the issue of the shutter/lens cover OK, but they have no reply,, so using it without camera, and will never move to nokia again.. Still looking for the solution..

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have had this issue for almost one year. Sometime it works after I reset the phone a few times. I think that there must be a design defect with that camera. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@danielc

Can also find that Camera application not launched by shortcut icon upon homescreen, but will if set to start by depressing shutter button or use third party application instead. Sometimes removing shortcut and then adding will work until device is re-booted.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Today I accidently found a way of making the camera work. :smileyindifferent:

I launched the camera and the phone hanged until the battery used up or the phone became hot; then I reset the phone and the camera came back. This is ridiculous! :question:

Can Nokia fix this issue ASAP? I think many of us might have this problem already.

BTW, I'm a 15-year Nokia handset user. Please don't let me down.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
malbz

[ Edited ]

hi guys i had some problem too, my n8 camera not working. sometime after i restart my phone it works again but now it can't. the phone became hang and the shutter look like not open.:crying:

i really love this phone because the camera, i hope this not hardware problem just software.

if any of you guys have the solution just share here or u can contact me @ XXXXX@gmail.com

Moderator note: Personal information are not allowed on this Forum. (email address removed)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

hi mate,

have you tried pressing and holding the power button until it vibrates three or so times and the phone turns off? might also pay to check that you are up to date with firmware updates in Nokia Suite and phone updates via SW update on the phone itself.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor

yes, I've tried everything I can find.

my firmware is also the latest Belle.

The way I stated above always works. However I'm worried about my phone to be worn too fast.

Everytime I leave the phone hanged until it becomes warm enough, the camera begins to work.

Please use plain text.
sabukz

I'm facing the same N8 camera issue.

When i open the camera, i see the screen black with below otions...

1. Zoom scroll,
2. Flash otions,
3. Camera modes - the 'A' sign,
4. Three dots (...)
5. Options menu
6. Capture button,
7. Photo/Recoring mode change button

When the press the Capture button on screen or the camera button, the camera hangs. But i could close the camera from the task manager options or switch applications.

All these changes have been noticed after changing the battery as the old battery is no good.
I have been using only Nokia handsets. I'm a Nokia user since 2004.

Hope Nokia has a solution to this or could bring a solution as this issue doesnt seem to be something new from this post. Nokia, please dont tell us to simply take to Nokia Care for a solution.We would like to know what exactly is causing the problem.

Thanks,
Sabu

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
sparkabhi

I am having exactly same problem exactly same if you got any solution tell me

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rogue_1969

How long you remained it hang? This is to avoid some other problems for that matter?  Did you let all day open until the battery power is used up?  Thanks.

2110i->3210->6210->7610->6680->N82->N8->N9
Please use plain text.
chinmoynandi

I with the help of nokia care removed the camera shutter, and nw its working.. just i fails in heavy light control but rest time it can be used properly..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
vijay150

hey Omair ,
Im having the same problem from last two day... i have tried to reset the phone .. but problem is the same.. shutter remain closed all the time ... do you have any solution .... plzzzz help guys...
Please use plain text.
yankies

pls i hv problem with my camera,some tin has cover de camera so when u open it become dark pls any happy
Please use plain text.
yankies

0 pls i hv problem with my camera,some tin has
cover de camera so when u open it become dark
pls any help
Please use plain text.
yankies

screen...changed camera module...flashed with
latest ver...still same
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
maraheem

nokia n8 camera is not working when i press camara botton my mobile is hand i have to restart again

Please use plain text.