Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 can't send SMS

jamesbond007
Accepted Solution

Nokia N8 can't send SMS

Has anyone been able to configure their N8 to send SMS text messages. I can receive both text and picture messages but can’t send SMS text.

I have tried to configure the message centre with my T-Mobile Message centre number, but when I open the Message centre in use settings, there is no option to add the message centre number. Rather, the word Message centre is hard-coded with no room to change or add any number.

My service provider has repeatedly sent me in their supposedly configuration settings, but still no joy.

If anyone has had the joy of adding their Message Centre number, please share your steps here.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

No issue's sending or receiving here (unbranded N8), have you tried the following:

Menu > Messaging > Options > Settings > Text Message > Message Centres (the very top option, above centre in use) > Options > New message centre

On my N8 this gives the option to create a new message centre by giving it a name and number. The new message centre can then be selected from the "message centre in use" option on the text message settings menu.

If you are still struggling let me know and i'll post some screen grabs.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
noobiedoobie

If the above post doesn't help, Restore the factory settings. Dial *#7780# on the phone, I think it retrieves the message centre number through the sim card with this.

Usually in some cases a format of phone and mass memory is needed if it doesn't work. So go for *#7370# and see.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Those resets probably won't help in this case as the message centre number appears to be missing from the sim card.

If manually adding a message centre doesn't work (or isn't possible in the case of some branded phones) then the remaining option is to request a new sim card from the network.
Please use plain text.
jamesbond007

Many thanks guys for all your inputs. I have had my SIM card since early days of One2One in the UK -1993; and based on your last comment, I have requested a new SIM card from T-mobile - hopefully this should fix the problem.

I will update post once I get the card and texting is working.

Once again, many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
paldo

Funnily enough I am having this problem. Its not the SIM card as when I put the SIM card into another phone, it sends messages! I did a restore also and it still doesn't work. This is V V annoying for a phone I have had only 3 months and looks brand new. I am now having to send the phone to O2 to get it repaired. I have always had Nokia phones and am now very disappointed in them :-(

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rogue_1969

All over the world are reporting the same problem in failed SMS sending in N8. Already bought my N9 and still after 1 year and 3 months, there is still no immediate/permanent solution to this?  What's this forum for?   To get sympathy?  Pleeeeease.  I hope in Symbian Belle, problem in ^3 and in Anna would be resolved!  I was wondering why this thread was considered closed tsk tsk tsk.

2110i->3210->6210->7610->6680->N82->N8->N9
Please use plain text.
Contributor
BillBrooks88

Setting the new message centre may certainly help.  I solved my problem after a factory reset and delete didn't work by putting some credit on my phone!

Bill Brooks
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
i_own_n8

do the hard reset

Please use plain text.
speuroog

Both soft and hard reset doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions??
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi speuroog,

Thanks for posting. A soft reset would not make any difference in this case as it does not do anything but default the phone's settings. A hard reset will force reading the settings on the SIM when restarting and should add the correct message centre number for your operator if available on the SIM.

To enter the number manually obtain it from your operator's website or support line and enter it in the following location:

• Goto Menu>Messaging and from there Options>Settings>Text Message>Message Centres
  • If there is an entry there verify the number to be correct or if there is no entry go to Options>New message centre to setup a new one.
  • Then verify the correct centre is setup in Menu>Messaging>Options>Settings>Text Message>Message Centre in use

Let me know how you get on,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
tcray23

i had that centre problem to cause i deleted t-mobile off it cause i got a straight talk sim. then i couldnt send or recieve text, i held the power button till it vibrated 3 times and turned it back on and it works again, in the field it now says something different too.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bastermeid

i am having the same problem, did hardreset, mayb 4 to 6 times but the problems comes back in less than a month, i am realy disapointed
Please use plain text.
aberichoo

after i got fix before stayed just 02days and now i couldnt send a sms but i can receive same

Please use plain text.