Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 charging with USB

Sage

Nokia N8 charging with USB

Hello,

I have a USB charger for my N8.  However when I plug it is - it prevents my from using my mass memory.

Any way around that?  I would like to charge my phone while watching some videos on my mass memory....

Thanks,

VeePee

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chefproll

Re: Nokia N8 charging with USB

[ Edited ]

Use an USB charger with the charging pins ONLY connected.

There are a lot of USB chargers on the market featuring data pins connections, too: This simulates a genuine USB port to the phone, so it switches into USB mode, restricting your memory access.

Chargers known for working: Nokia, Samsung.

Not working: Jabra and many more.

But better use the dedicated coax charger which came with your phone: Far better, far faster because it delivers more current than standard USB ports and chargers (often restricted to 500 mA).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
telford_mike

But better use the dedicated coax charger which came with your phone: Far better, far faster because it delivers more current than standard USB ports and chargers (often restricted to 500 mA).

I've had 3 N8 handsets so far, and the coax charging port hasn't worked on any of them. Is there a secret to making this work? When I plug the coax charger into the phone, I just get a beep and a message 'unplug charger from mains to save power', as if I had disconnected it from the handset.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Chefproll

mike: Never experienced that problem; got 2 N8s, returned the first one because of a stuck pixel - but both rigs charged with the coax charger without any problems.

Use a volt meter to check the charger's output; this could be the reason for that problem.

And make sure the charger's plug gets fully inserted.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Pe_h

My N8 won't charge thru micro usb unless usb connection with computer is ok.
In other words it won't charge with the "charging pins ONLY connected".
Is this normal behavior?
Coax charger works without any problems.

To original question: if I choose to connect usb in OVI SUITE mode i can use mass memory and watch videos stored in it.
Please use plain text.