Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 firmware suggestions here!

Sage
Akuma07

Nokia N8 firmware suggestions here!

Okay guys. So the N8 is out in most places.

I am waiting for Australia to get it, so I don't have mine yet, but from all the reviews i've seen (countless) there are a few things that I already know I would like them to implement in future firmwares.

1) Portrait QWERTY for text input. Includes SMS/MMS messaging aswell as general text entry.

2) Improve the responsiveness when swiping through home screens. It should be instant, without the 1 second lag.

3) Improve the responsiveness of the pinch-zoom on the photo viewer.

4) Better integration with social networks, including the ability to upload photos and videos directly from the phone, without the added need of an ovi application.

5) Better more fluent web browser, instead of the outdated clunky one currently being used.

6) More fluent ovi maps touch navigation

7) S^4 will be released in the near future, I would like the ability to upgrade the OS to S^4.

Thats what I think so far, I think these features are a must have, If nokia were to implement #7 then they could add years to the longevity of the N8. I will add more in the future, you guys add what you think too.

Where can we actually submit requests for FW updates?

Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Sage
TRDN900

Re: Nokia N8 firmware suggestions here!

hi broo:

all point u said up still has problem with N8.....  still long way to go for nokia to make perfect N8.

i have the phone for 2 week and format it like 3 time ..... example touch is like 5800 no different.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

[ Edited ]

Hey nokia, if you want to compete with current gen Smartphones, then use current gen technology.

Having current or next gen hardware for features is good, but you should also focus on upgrading the hardware used for basic phone functions, like your touchscreen chip, which is outdated.

We need some serious OS upgrades over the next year for this phone. If you are serious about N8 being your flagship model, then support it as so.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

[ Edited ]

LOL...

Okay, so i just seen this thread...

/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/N8-Symbian-3-Suggestions-for-future-software-updates/td-p/768718

We can still have both? Maybe it would get the points across more easily when they read these threads =D

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SputniX

Actually, I would not trouble the delay with swiping the home screens. It is an intentional delay to ensure you're not actually trying to move widgets, so I would not worry much about it.

This is probably the most comprehensive and fair review I have seen on the N8 so far, and it makes mention of this feature. http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n8-review-523.php

I think if Nokia really want to get into the smartphone game, it needs to realize that software interfaces are key to its success, and regardless of how good Symbian is at being functional, it is user-friendliness, simplicity and even appearance that is driving the advance of the platforms it is trying desperately to catch up to. Nokia lovers may be satisfied, but the key is to convince potential new owners to give Nokia a look, and to keep the loyalty of its followers. Symbian 4 seems like it might need more to compete, but from what is promised, this might be just what Nokia needs, and as for the N8, I think the best news that Nokia could ever deliver to N8 buyers is that it would support Symbian 4 in the same way iPhone users can update their OS.

So I would hope for the following in intermediate S3 updates on the N8...

• Improved text input and spelling correction/text prediction

• Option to use (and set as default) QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode

• Improved camera function interface through side panel options

• Better web browser (with improved zoom and font sizing functions - though this may be coming I hear)

• (and this is simply wishful) Potential for S4 update, which would keep this "flagship" relevant and likely secure the loyalty and support of all Nokia lovers.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

Yeah i read that thing about the swipe delay for the home screen. I was actually impressed after i heard that!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kads

I miss the contact front "widget" that was on the 5800XM. There you have the SMS conversation and calls log directly by clicking the picture of my favorites.

N8 has adopted this from the N97 = a more simple front contact widget.

This is much better on 5800XM and X6.

( I miss this on my N97 and now on my new N8....)

As a social phone like N8 should have these features.

Kads
Please use plain text.
ace111

[ Edited ]

I agree i am macintosh user in general. However PC are coming back these days and such i loved my Nokias of the past. Therefore dropping my 16GB 3G is big step. I am willing this phone to work. Some how, I think i will be returning it....

Nokia should be looking at this situation with kid gloves telling us so far nothing on the potential updates. Apple would be scared witless about this. I think Nokia are keeping tight lipped as they know that this phone's processer wont be enough to port the new Symbian OS 4. I can only presume this as there is no information, on the contrary a few hints of worries about the application changes that will occur for the negatve.

Cons: to sticking with my N8.

Txt msg will fill up phones memory - my girlfriend and I txt each other alot.

camera button is used for making orange light, that is all.

Very few apps whats that about- hardly any utilites.

Delivered with no instructions.

Ovi store being a bit tempremental in that downloads can error (which is acceptable). However will not clear the failed download so will sit there for ever until this bug is sorted. However downloads can run consecutively which makes it better than the app store.

Nokiadirect stinks. Plainly act nieve about the contracts they issue with there phones.

Number apps and utilities -which I prefer. Generally have no idea about what decent companies, are going to turn up with a remote control app to control my macs/pc. VNC client.

Initial themes are little gash however a random over the air update gave me a decent one.

Symbians filling structure. It needs an advance and simple setting. It so easy to install applications into whatever directory i want. I want this to be taken care of by the OS, i want privillages to be availble for me to change/view this longterm.

Not sure if it my end but WIFI likes to reconnect alot, I cant deceide if its me/router settings or the phone someone else can answer this.

Home screen -organisation is long even a lil tedious. Icons on some themes are awful.

Havent been out in the car with GPS yet but looking at the maps feature - i dont think my road is on it eek (this could change tho). Again will tomtom make itself available who knows.

Honestly looking at it there is really good intriguing potential in this phone. Which I think is just going to be carried to your next model and not used for this one.

8 days left till i return, Nokia please update us on your plans !!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

-The brightness of the notification light in the menu-buttom should be controlled via the  lightsensor -- now it is only in dark conditions visible...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Pyrovolt

Hi There

Some litlle issues i would like to have in future SW-versions

UI:

The shortcut-widged should have a delete option. by now only a replacement of choosen shortcuts is possible, no chance of getting a blank widget if it was ever used before

The favourite contacts widged should be a new one on each homescreen, so i can use one for private and one for business-contacs for example.

MAPS:

position finding time has to be increased, Same issue I had with my N95 8GB, which was fixed with a SW-update.

voice guidiance seems to be not loud enough, due to the speakers spread out to the backside of the device.

Browsing:

The built in browser is a joke, please rework this !

I don´t like to use additional programs like opera mobile for such an essential part for a smartphone-SW

Symbian-4 capability

is an essential step of staying with Nokia in the future!

We knew about the N8-00 to be one of the last S3 Devices.

more to come.

I hope the Nokia guys read that stuff and make some issues about customer-feedback

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I would like to see a feature that was in the E72 which appears to be absent in the N8.  When creating a calendar entry on the E72, for the location you could select a contact and it would use the address listed for that contact.  That appears to be missing from the N8, you can select a location on a map or copy it from the contact, but why look the contact up, copy the address and then paste that into the location?  Being able to select the contact would be much easier.

Also the email program at times doesn't load images.  If you close the email program and open it,  then it starts to display them again.  When it starts to fail to load images, it appears that it doesn't even try to load them as there is no lag from when the email is opened to the missing images.  When a mail sync is occurring it can also trigger this issue.  This happens on 3G and WLAN and it is not the network connection.

Please use plain text.
mvi70

by the way. One can disable this ”lag”. Its an option of the themes.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bait4n8

Nokia just announced all apps to be developed using Nokia Qt . This means

1. symbian^4 updates will be available to download as soon as released
    1. all apps will be developed using Qt.
    They also mentioned you can say there will no longer be symbian^3 and symbian^4 it will be an constantly evolving platform.
  • http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/nokia-refines-development-stategy-adopts-html5-in-qt-and-ends-s/
    Please use plain text.
    Mobile Sensei
    chanchan05

@Akuma

1. Reports are saying portrait qwerty is already in the works.

2. The one second delay is not lag. It is intentional. Some apps have side scrollable widgets, and the phone is trying to gauge whether you made a mistake in swiping or you actually meant to swipe the screen. For instantaneous swiping, just tap the three dots at the bottom.

4. You can upload photos and videos directly from phone AFAIK to social networks via the Social App. Or you can install Pixelpipe. It doesnt have to go through Ovi Share.

5. A Qt browser is currently in the works.

7. N8 hardware is not up to par with minimum hardware requirements for Symbian^4.
    If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
    Please use plain text.
    cav_

Hi,
    I'd like to see the N95 8Gb interval timer reinstated on the stills camera for this model.
    Thanks
    Cav
    Please use plain text.
    toxarcher

Juat one or two things,

I would love to see cut and paste available from the browser,

I cant seem to find the panorama feature on the camera that i used to love on the n86...

Thanks

Charlie

Please use plain text.
    Sage
    HaPe

You can find "Nokia Panorama" in the OVI store, Works great
    N8-00 with orange case, loving it

If my post was helpfull, click on the white star and give me an KuDo ;-)
    Please use plain text.
    Hellie66

I would like to see a better alarm with more options, like the ability to save an alarm and activate it or deactivate when you choose. I would also like to see bigger fonts even on large the font size is  too small I could have bigger fonts on my samsung tocco and that has a smaller screen.

Please use plain text.
    Mobile Sensei
    chanchan05

@Hellie - for the alarm options, isnt there activate and deactivate already? Try going to Clock (tap the clock)>Alarms>highlight an alarm>options. There should be a deactivate option there.
    If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
    Please use plain text.
    aaronlee223

I would appreciate it if they improve the camera's UI and make it able to record video at 720p at 30fps, or if they can do 1080p why not? It is a 12 megapixel camera after all.  Then maybe they can unlock some more speed from the processor, at least 800MHz would be nice. The phone may be fast when it is new and still has nothing in it but after a year or so when it is already loaded with data, we'll see if it will still be as fast as it was on day one. Then there's the improving of the touch UI and tune the system to save more power since they were so hard-headed as to make the battery non-user-replaceable. Hmm... and maybe they should include a Torx screwdriver in the N8 retail box.

Please use plain text.