Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N8 mass memory has disapeared

Advisor
Martynasn8

Nokia N8 mass memory has disapeared

Hi, i need help becouse when i connect the nokia N8 through cable connection the mass memory (16gb) it isint showed. And all apps and pictures has dissapeared from the phone.

What to do?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul80

Re: Nokia N8 mass memory has disapeared

Sounds like a memory failure and if it is it needs to go in for repair, or buy a big Micro SD Card (Upto 32gb)  and use that instead.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert

Check if you are connected to PC in mass storage mode. If connected in mass storage mode, the access is reserved exclusively for PC and you cannot view mass memory contents with phone applications. Everything should be normal again after you unplug your device from PC.

If you have Ovi Suite installed in your PC, you can connect the phone in Ovi Suite mode where you won't have this problem.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martynasn8

All files wich was in mass memory has dissapeared. A week ago when i pluged my nokia n8 in mass memory the mass memory was shown and now it isint. When i try to instal a apps in nokia ovi suite it says me internal error

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martynasn8

I whont pay more money for the micro sd card. it is nokia phone problem not mine i payed alot of money for it and it doesnt work than why i pay so much money for it?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

When you disconnected it from the computer a week ago did you just remove the cable or did you first select the "safely remove hardware" option from the computer?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martynasn8

Just removed the cable

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Sound like you have corrupted the memory by doing that, you should always select the safely remove hardware option whenever possible. Can you see the mass memory in the phones file manager app? It's either in the apps folder or the office folder.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martynasn8

IT says its unavailable

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Unavailable, so I take it you can still see it?

If so try holding your finger on the screen where it says unavailable and see if it give you the option to format it. All data will be wiped from the mass memory during formatting, if it allows you to do it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martynasn8

It whont let me to do it ;/

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martynasn8

when i open it it writes (memory in use)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

It seems to have been badly corrupted. There may be windows based memory tools for repairing the memory's file system, give google a try.

If you cannot recover it you'll have to take your phone to a nokia care point.
http://europe.nokia.com/support/repair-and-recycle/repair/care-points

For future reference you should always select the "safely remove hardware" option on any mass storage device when disconnecting from a windows PC to prevent memory corruption.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martynasn8

OK ill try ;/

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Good luck! Wish I could give you specific tools to try but fortunately i've never had this issue with mass memory on any device, only memory cards.

If anyone else has any tools or suggestions feel free to post them.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martynasn8

On the google i found that Im not the only one wich have the same problem, others have problems with nokia n95 8gb but no awnser sill is found.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

It's quite an old problem with many mass storage devices, not just nokia phones. Too many people think it's ok to just pull out the cable, they ignore advice in users guides or warnings in windows. Corruption is common when the cable is pulled from mass storage devices. On the N8 it's better to use ovi suite mode whenever possible.

If you are unable to solve this by using memory recovery/repair software then you will have to visit a nokia care point.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martynasn8

The phone have quarantee so i dont need to pay for fixing right?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

This issue should be covered by the warranty. Give your nearest care point a call if you need clarification.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Martynasn8

Finally, yesterday i was lying on the bed ant my phone has droped on the ground. In first i was in schock, but when i saw the phone it was OK. Then i just entered to the meniu and saw that all apps, photos,maps are again on the phone :smileyhappy: The phone was fully working. Theese phones are afraid of handrops ( hwn your phone slips from your hands). I recommend a silicon cases, they full protect the phone from theese crashes. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.